Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A sad day for Warren Miller and ski film industry

Poster: A snowHead
http://sports.espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/news/story?id=5663173&a
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, hmmm,. so Warren Miller isn't allowed to narrate ski films because he looks like and talks like Warren Miller?

Only in America.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So he sold his company and the rights to his image (exclusively) then sold himself on to another company? Seems fair to me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, except when he sold his company there was a no-compete clause that expired in 1999. So technically, from 1999 he was free to do what he wanted with his own voice. The exclusivity of his voice ended in 1999.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah, haha, then it's Bollix.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, SMALLZOOKEEPER, I suspect that the same lawsuit would be upheld in the same way under European jurisdiction ... Hurtle ?? ... seems very fair to me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More info on the situation (last year):

http://newschoolers.com/ns/content/readnews/id/2856/

and

http://newschoolers.com/ns/content/readnews/id/2916/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, actually, I don't think so. 1. I think it would be regarded as restrictive and 2. I don't think you can restrain someone from using their trade.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, Fair call .. I'm not sure .... but I would criticise anyone for 'Selling the Brand' (prima facie) based upon the fine wording of a 'contract' so WM will not (for me) come out well out of the whole. However only the original parties will know the REAL intent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, well, in the freeski/newschool area WM has come off very well. People are pretty angry that WME are potentially going to seriously harm Level 1 with this lawsuit. WM did his best to stop it from happening. The morality of not being able to use your own voice is pretty sickening as well. It's all really sad as WME don't film anything themselves anymore. They buy footage from the smaller film companies, such as Level 1...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah, Great .. I'm neither FreeSchool nor Newski wink I think WM sold something then backed off. Warren posts here often so I'm sure he will give his view ... not sure WME are as focused !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, Warren Miller posts here?!? Think you might have your Warrens in a twist.

A parallel situation was when David Lloyd sold his healthclubs to Whitbread for squillions. His name is still over the door but he cannot start up another David Lloyd - however I believe he's back in the healthclub game but under a different name.

In the case of normal employment, you cannot restrict someone's ability to make a living but, if you sell a trademark that just happens to be your name, it's tough cheese.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, Might well have been Bunny Warren ? I wouldn't know one from t'other! Embarassed

I agree your other points ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Agenterre, actually, I don't think so. 1. I think it would be regarded as restrictive and 2. I don't think you can restrain someone from using their trade.

not sure about that one...plenty of people tried to stop me stocking various products when i opened... now is that not the same thing Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure about this case, it seems that warren miller is caught in the cross fire.

I do think that the whole intellectual property thing has gotten out of control. The most trivial and generic things are being "protected" then aggressively protected by wealthy business, with small business unable to respond. There was a case a couple of years back when a pub invited its customers to a "festive feast" only to receive a solicitors letter threatening proceeding as their client had protected the term.
latest report
CEM, not quite. If someone tried to stop you being a bootfitter at all, even if you had signed an agreement with them that you would not be for x months, it would (apparently) be difficult for them to enforce it. I only know as I've been discussing various clauses like this. A contract saying you agree not to sell and fit Brand X, while selling and fitting brands W, Y and Z might be OK.
latest report
Isn't the first time something like this has happened and won't be the last, its the same sort of legal situation that means Rolls Royce cars are now German! The name and associated branding becomes an asset that can bought and sold and just like you can't carry on say using a car once you've sold it to someone else you can't carry on using names and other branding if you have sold them, a bit unfortunate if it happens to be your name, face, voice etc but if you didn't want loose the rights you shouldn't have sold them!
ski holidays
davkt, that makes sense for the name and branding, and even face.. But the voice? How does one "buy" a voice? If he puts on an Irish accent, can he then narrate a film? What if he spoke through one of those voice distortion toys, would that be ok?

The issue seems to then be that he is working with someone other than WME even though his non-compete clause expired in 1999. I presume that the contract wasn't explicit with regards to his voice. So in the scenario of a non-explicit contract is it not then ok for WM to work for/with other film companies?

Is there a difference between Warren Miller - the brand and Warren Miller - the name in terms of legality? If someone puts Warren Miller (the name) as a credit in the film is that infringing on the branding rights that WME bought? Even though it's obviously the name and not the brand?

What if someone else who is called Warren Miller starts up Warren Miller Limited, can he get sued for using his name?
snow report
Timmaah, Guess it comes down to what he signed over and took the money for in the contract! Same as anything, if you want to keep it don't sell it! If someone else started Warren Miller Ltd you'd be getting into trademark issues, just like you would be if you started a company called Heinz or Kellogs!
snow report
IMV, he clearly sold the WM brand. If he then starts competing as WM the person, he's passing off and reducing the new owners opportunity to exploit the brand they bought. Need to stop feeling sorry for people who fill their boots and later regret it.
snow conditions
But the contract allows him to compete as WM the person... and as he was a sort of cameo for Level 1...
ski holidays
Timmaah, I suspect that the non-compete was all about him having the ability to set up another film company in another name. So he could call it XYZ Films. In no way though would he get away with causing confusion even if others referred to it as a Warren Miller film. Sounds like he basically lost a trademark dispute (and quite right too).
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Yep, thats my take on it as well
snow report
under a new name wrote:
CEM, not quite. If someone tried to stop you being a bootfitter at all, even if you had signed an agreement with them that you would not be for x months, it would (apparently) be difficult for them to enforce it. I only know as I've been discussing various clauses like this. A contract saying you agree not to sell and fit Brand X, while selling and fitting brands W, Y and Z might be OK.

but without brands how can boot fitter operate..... difficult to modify thin air rolling eyes
latest report
CEM, actually, you could simply (if not practically) offer to order and fit any boot brand, except, in the case above, brand X. It's more a point that you can't be forbidden from practising your craft, but it can be restricted away from a particular brand for a reasaonable time.

Anyhoo, I don't think it's something we need to worry about in Europe, and also bearing in mind recent US genetic patent cases, maybe not so much in the U.S. either. Even though that's a very different area.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, agreed. Lets face it - as an 85 year old - probably all he had left to offer the new company was his voice and "humour" which are surely part of the "brand" he sold.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Timmaah, I suspect that the non-compete was all about him having the ability to set up another film company in another name. So he could call it XYZ Films. In no way though would he get away with causing confusion even if others referred to it as a Warren Miller film. Sounds like he basically lost a trademark dispute (and quite right too).

Interesting. So what is your take on their lawsuit vs Level 1?
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Interesting. So what is your take on their lawsuit vs Level 1?

Well that was where the whole case started. Level 1 used WM (the man) as narrator throughout the film. He has undoubtedly got THE most recognisable tone and style and for example, if I had seen the movie, I would have assumed it was a WME movie. After over 50 years of narrating ski flicks, his voice is most definitely a big part of his brand, a brand that was sold to WME for gazillions. If others had been confused by it (especially sponsors) then there is a clear case of passing off in my opinion, whether deliberate or not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess that's why Warren has resorted to selling cars here in Seattle. He does a commercial for a local Cadillac dealership here. This is actually old news here in the PNW. Warren got a decent pay check when he sold out but maybe he didn't fully think through what selling out truly meant. At least us folks here in Seattle can listen to those dulcit tones as he tries to sell us a car.
latest report
Toadman, ""If you don't buy a caddy this year, it'll be another year before you do""?

I presume?
snow report
Just my 2p - I'm pretty sure that anyone viewing a Level 1 flick would not mistake it for WME and vice versa. It seems to my read that Warren Miller did a favour for some little guys and WME got unnecessarily bent out of shape over it. The industry isn't that big that people are making squillions out of passing off so regardless of the legal rights and wrongs WME end up looking pretty silly and Warren Miller ends up looking like a good guy IMV.
snow conditions
fatbob, the sums of money aren't insignificant though. The big WME sponsors like Nissan are paying out seven figures. I can understand WME nipping this one in the bud because, if they ignored it, the precedent will have been set.
snow report
On the other hand WME have given Level 1 levels of publicity they couldn't have dreamt off. Perhaps WME should have just kept quiet and far fewer people would have heard about Refresh!
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Just my 2p - I'm pretty sure that anyone viewing a Level 1 flick would not mistake it for WME and vice versa.

I have no idea what one or t'other would look like but if I heard Warren Miller I would recognize his voice.
ski holidays
Until now... nice trailer for a jib flick anyways

http://youtube.com/v/dknKwsjlhRU&feature=related
latest report
who's warren miller?
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
fatbob, the sums of money aren't insignificant though. The big WME sponsors like Nissan are paying out seven figures. I can understand WME nipping this one in the bud because, if they ignored it, the precedent will have been set.

A lot of people have been emailing WME's sponsors showing their distaste for WME's actions. You know what the majority say?

"our advertising is not an endorsement for or against any particular cause, candidate or political viewpoint."

^Any many more on a similar wavelength. Their sponsors are only concerned about the demographics and the size of audience. And WM appearing in a Level 1 film definitely had no effect on decreasing the size of WME's audience. Suing Level 1 did.

bertie bassett, he's basically one of the very few men who created the ski film industry.
ski holidays
Timmaah, or he's an old bloke who wanted to have his cake and to eat it.
latest report
bertie bassett, a very old man who flogged his 'image' and now wants it back because he has lived longer than perhaps he thought he would have wink
ski holidays
I met him in Mammoth Mountain in around '96/'97 and was told he was nearly 80 then. Think he must age by a year and knock 6 months off each time like they do in Hollywood.

It was a bizarre moment - standing in the lodge at the foot of the mountain with an apres drink in my hand and someone pointed out that the bloke next to me was WM. It wasn't a long conversation... "Hi", "Hi Warren" but I shook the hand. Wonder if he still talks about it. No, probably not.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy