Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver, shovel, probe hire. UK or in Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is it possible to hire a transceiver, shovel and probe in Verbier. If so, how much does it cost per day/week and do you have to pre-book them.

Can you book them in the UK? I don't really want to go this route as I may only go off-piste for a couple of days - depending on other members of the group.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jzBun, very possible in Verbier, there are at least 6 shops that will do it. You should be able to hire ABS airbags / Snowpulses. I have no clue as to cost. Be aware that if it's dumping it might be quite hard to find some...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jzBun,

or Ski Club of GB do a hire service as well
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Alpine Ski Club hire out transceivers.

http://www.alpineskiclub.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=50
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is not a lot of point having a tranceiver and not also having shovel and probes. How can anyone find someone and dig them out in time if you do not carry the right kit. Even then it is touch and go if you can do it in time so you also need loads of training. Plus everyone in the group should have the full gear, getting back to a person that needs help is very hard, what if the only people with the gear are to far away to help.

Also if you do not want to have problems with your insurance and the local authorities should someone have an accident off piste everyone in the group must have the gear. Ask any pisteur, mountain police or local resort authority what you should have if you plan to go off piste. So if you are hiring the gear make sure you have it all. Taking a short cut to save a few pennies could cost someone there life. And do not think 'oh it will never happen to me'. I have heard that to often as well.

As parlor, says Verbier has a few shops that hire gear, plus get an ABS or snowpulse as well. If you are with a guide, they will provide it for you so not a problem. The same applies in Les Arcs where there are a few shops that rent out all the gear. Getting it in resort means that you can rent it for the days when the weather is forcast to be good for off piste, but if you are keen on off piste you are better off to buy the gear and learn to use it correctly. It should last for years if looked after.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
...if you are keen on off piste you are better off to buy the gear and learn to use it correctly. It should last for years

+1.
Of course you want to have the right gear and be prepared...
But does renting a transceiver (that you probably haven't practiced with much) really do you any favors ?
Even simple shovel and probe techniques take practice.

Number 1 sports at Medran will rent everything you need.
But the cost of a weeks rental would go along way towards buying your own kit.

http://www.no1sports.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy,
Quote:
There is not a lot of point having a tranceiver and not also having shovel and probes. How can anyone find someone and dig them out in time if you do not carry the right kit

Obviously agree, which is why I'm looking for the lot. I have done 4 weeks off piste with a guide over the last couple of years. Each week started with a half day of avalanche training on the mountain. This will be the first trip without a guide but with experienced off-piste skiers who all have the required gear.

I intend to buy the gear but this is a 2nd option as money is tight at the moment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 on buying your own and learning how to use them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1

But if you are still looking you could try the Hardcore shop in front of the Post office, perhaps? They rent out touring skis and boots so I think they probably do. Why not phone them and ask.

I gather you cannot rent avalanche transcievers in the USA because they might be liable if you got in an avalanche rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[considers whether to be helpful or call jzBun out for acting like Mr Backcountry on the La Grave threads...]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I gather you cannot rent avalanche transcievers in the USA because they might be liable if you got in an avalanche

Is that a fact (no renting of transcievers)?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Certainly true in some places but I don't know if it is universal.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jzBun, Try www.allmountainrental.com They have an operation in Verbier as well as Morzine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Arno, [considers whether to be helpful or call jzBun out for acting like Mr Backcountry on the La Grave threads...]

You should definitely have taken the p!ss. It's what I would have done if I had read my thread.

(What a tosser that JzBun is - and I should know)

BTW. Mr. Blackcountry is my middle name - Jz "Mr. blackcountry" Bun. (I was born in Dudley).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy