Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet cams

Poster: A snowHead
don't get me wrong, i'm a good skier but not brilliant but for some reason been thinking of buying a camera for the helmet. A few weeks ago the In Gear part of the sunday times ran a best of but now cant find it now or rather used it to light the fire! so has anyone used one or can recommend one. Really don't want to spend the earth but just think it would be pretty cool to have one. I'm no computer geek either so simpler the better....any idea's??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had my eye on this bad boy: http://www.contour-hd.co.uk/contourhd-1080p.html
Buttering up the wife time me thinks wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go Pro HD
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stu76, has this got sound and your wallet is bigger than mine! Liveezy, surely you're going t have a lopsided head carrying that thing about??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flog873347, you might want to read this thread which I started a while ago:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1509171

(I've still not bought one BTW!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The GoPro HD is certainly the one prefered by whitewater kayakers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What all 170 grams?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flog873347, yes it has sound, & I think it'll have to be my Christmas & Birthday prezzy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The go pro HD looks amazing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info and jonm, the thread very useful - as always when you start to have a look around there is far too much choice and i do read in to things too much. Do like the look of the Drift X170 Action Camera but no HD (HD model mucho sponds) - question How much do you need HD??
Reviews on GoPro look top but i just dont think i could have a camera (i mean shape) sticking on top of my bonse!!
Of course, the better the camera the more of a horror film i will produce with my skills, may just stick to a poloroid!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to go on but the HD Drift may be worth the money - just read this review and all looks good, it's a bug my birthday is July eh?!!
http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/blog/povuk/article/1155/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stu76 wrote:
I've had my eye on this bad boy: http://www.contour-hd.co.uk/contourhd-1080p.html
Buttering up the wife time me thinks wink

It does sound impressive. Be a massive step up from using a flip!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We all took out a headcam on our last trip. We paid £6 from ebay for a 720p HD mini cam which we attached to various places. The problem is that the terrain is so varied that its diffcult to always have the right angle. If the cam deosn't have a screen to view what you shot then its pretty random and it took us a couple of days to get it right. Then we had sooooooo much footage I gave up editing it. 6 cams with around 4 hours each cam. We did shoot some great moments but forgot to mark them. We used one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MD80-Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-SPY-Cam-SpyCam-New-/280566029484?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415309dcac

If it doesn't have a screen then dont pay too much. It doesn't make much difference.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You know, my mate was telling me about the MD80 yesterday. They are supposed to be quite good, and very cheap. A lot of motorcyclists use them, apparently.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't know a lot about the drift as its pretty new. Apart from that there really isn't that much choice. Its GoPro or contour. The new contour has GPS tracking which is probably a gimmick but could be quite interesting. Contour sound is apparently a bit sh*t but GoPro isn't awesome. I think I'd go GoPro. Been thinking about selling my 4kam bullet cam and getting a GoPro with chest mount harness.

This is some footage from the latest Contour camera. http://www.pinkbike.com/news/chris-van-dine-contour-red-bull-rampage-2010.html Bearing in mind that chances are, your footage would be no way near as good as that's just how it seems to work with average joe vs manufacturer clips. The colours are all a bit weird in that vid but not sure how much that is just to do with the light.

The same site did a review on the drift here http://www.pinkbike.com/news/drift-hd170-test.html
latest report
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1551732
snow report
Go-Pro HD, the image quality is a lot better than the Contour.
latest report
+1 for the gopro hd. Makes you look like cyber man but great quality. I've found that the results are a lot better with it mounted on a collapsible pole instead of my noggin.

Heres a little movie of the family that I did with mine in july

http://youtube.com/v/Mvc9FUoTBqc
ski holidays
Having done some trawling through the web, pricing is steep on the Drift but, if you have a brother in the States then it becomes a tad better! £329 gbp or in the States $329 bucks - so with exchnge brings it in at 200gbp. Top end but may provide hours of entertainment on the apres ski!
ski holidays
flog873347 wrote:
Having done some trawling through the web, pricing is steep on the Drift but, if you have a brother in the States then it becomes a tad better! £329 gbp or in the States $329 bucks - so with exchnge brings it in at 200gbp. Top end but may provide hours of entertainment on the apres ski!

whats that for?
snow conditions
The Contour HD has lasers to help you mount it correctly. With a feature like that, who cares about image quality! Seriously though, it's a great piece of kit for the price but does suffer quite badly from wind noise at any sort of speed while skiing. If you're up to the task you can wire in your own mic to sort this but this will no doubt invalidate your warranty (can see how to do this on YouTube where you can also find lots of independent reviews on headcams).

One piece of advice before going HD - make sure your computer is high enough spec to cope with HD video editing or you'll get bored of it very quickly!
snow report
frankm wrote:
The Contour HD has lasers to help you mount it correctly. With a feature like that, who cares about image quality! Seriously though, it's a great piece of kit for the price but does suffer quite badly from wind noise at any sort of speed while skiing. If you're up to the task you can wire in your own mic to sort this but this will no doubt invalidate your warranty (can see how to do this on YouTube where you can also find lots of independent reviews on headcams).

so your more bothered about some gimmicky lazy man's laser than image quality? Puzzled
snow report
milnerhome, I think it was a joke.
ski holidays
milnerhome, that was for the Drift HD 170. as i'm a salesman dream and beleive every word of the advertising this is what I'm basing my hard earned cash on!!
snow conditions
flog873347 wrote:
milnerhome, that was for the Drift HD 170. as i'm a salesman dream and beleive every word of the advertising this is what I'm basing my hard earned cash on!!

your not buying that are you?
ski holidays
milnerhome, may be....maybe not he says with some nervousness.......... why?
snow report
their total gimics, a few of the top guy's in downhill have been riding with them a bit over the season, only because they've been given a handy wad of cash to be seen wearing them.

If your after image quality then the Go-Pro wins it every time.

I'd even suggest a Contour instead of one of those pieces of tat! the remote feature whilst seeming useful is pointless if your skiing as its just as easy to press a button on your head as it is to press a button on your wrist. I also wouldn't like to get it covered in snow as it doesn't look the most waterproof, the screen is also pointless.

I'm not just a ranting internet warrior either. I'm filming a full length mountain bike film at the moment so I've spent a few months considering the different POV camera's available, including the highly expensive upper range ones and I've concluded that the Go-Pro is simply the outright winner (someone from go-pro hand me a brown envelope now?)
latest report
Go pro's are used by alot of professionals... Even Sky have used them for POV 3D setups.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uses include the BBC, their 3D setup's being used all over now Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy