Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is totally subjective, I know....but....how good/comfortable are hire boots??

Mrs Speedy is coming woth me in early January on her first trip away and is looking at boots to buy in the uk. She has small feet and wider ankles meaning that the 2 brands we have tried (Fischer and Atomic) have not fitted. The shop where we tried them didnt have any other brands apart from Salomon and we were advised against.

Thinking about it, this post has now evolved into 2 questions.

1, What boots should be suitable??........I guess we just have to keep looking/trying?

2, If we were not to buy boots before we set off in early January, how good or bad are resort hire boots?

Going to Courchevel on 8/1.

Mrs Speedy's level is able to ski parallel, but only skied indoors/dry slope.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

It all depends on which resort you're going to. Most medium and larger resorts will have many many hire shops so you should get a wide selection of different boots available. It's almost certain that one will fit.

But... you may not want to spend the time going round all the shops it may be an idea (as this is her 1st holiday) to try and get a cheap set of boots that fit well in the UK.

If you post the name of the resort you're going almost certainly someone will know the resort well and will be able to offer advice with regards to what shops are available.

Or
You may want to try going around a few shops in the UK to find a type/pair that fit and then seeing if that specific modle is available in the resort you're going to

Good luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rental boots can be ok at the beginning of the season IF they are new that year and you get a bit lucky, with a first holiday then they can be just fine so long as your good lady has not had problem with rentals on the dry slope... rental boots tend to be on the wider higher volume side to cater for every foot type in one boot (they don't really cater for narrow feet but a narrow foot will go inot a wide boot but it doesn't work the other way round)

if she has a wide ankle then the head edge may work, or a nordica of some sort or even a salomon (not sure why they said not especially as they seem to be just giving random boots to try)

impossible to say what will work without seeing the feet in question, but don't fall in to the trap of boots a size big which feel great in the shop....... shell check is important and should be carried out with every fitting and in each boot tried. beginners and intermediate skiers deserve good fit as well as more advanced skiers... it is one way to become a better skier

good luck getting it sorted
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never had a hire boot that fitted well.

Thats why I ended up buying my own!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hire shops can be very busy at just the time when you need to be really taking your time to get it right. If Mrs speedy is resolved on embarking on a ski career, time spent in the UK beforehand making sure boots are exactly right (which means leaving time to wear them a bit, ideally on the dry slope rather than doing the ironing, then go back for any necessary adjustment) might be well spent. The fact that she's a near beginner shouldn't matter too much - it's not like buying a pair of beginner skis. What most of us need are well fitting boots, not "expert" types.

Plenty of people roll up, hire boots, have a great week and never give it a moment's thought. But I've taken a lot of visitors to get hire boots, over the last eight years, and quite a high proportion of them have had to go back at least once to change them - usually because they're too big. The only hired boots I've used in years were at Hemel, and they were awful - the ones the "right size" (ie the same size as my own) felt too big and sloppy and I ended up in a pair which were rather too small, just to get some control. Fortunately my toes were only scrunched up for a couple of hours, and recovered. If I'd had to ski in them for a week I'd have been banging on the door of a shop begging them to take my money for a new pair.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
After 6 weeks on the snow using hire gear I finally bit the bullet and bought my own boots for last year, wow what a difference. I got the boot molded to my feet and they were so snug!!! There is nothing worse than skiing in uncomfy boots. I would maybe try and get her some over here that are comfy for her, nothing worse than walking around ski hire shops for hours finding the right boot when all you want to do is hit the slopes!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
speedy, +1 for the Nordica boot brand if mrsspeedy, has wide ankles. This is the boot brand I have bought being not gifted with well turned ankles. After years of illfitting boots, pain and embarrassment/humiliation it just was better to buy my own. The first pair I bought were were Salomons, but they were men's and rear entry, so not really the technology of today. Howver they were very comfy too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How interesting, my second ever pair of boots - which I wore for ages - were Nordicas and I got them because they suited my broad-in-the-front-but-with-narrow-ankles feet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about for a wide calf?..........what makes should we be looking at?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speedy - see you are Bristol - have you thought about a trip to Skate and Ski - they hire boots in the UK - advantage is that you can spend time trying to find a pair that are comfortable - we used a UK hire company a few years ago before we bought our own - 3 of the four of us were happy,and the hire company here reimbursed if we had to rehire when we got to resort - so we did and Mrs S-M found another pair that suited her - at least it gave us two cracks at it
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It does depend on the specific model though... I've got Nordica books as they fitted my very narrow ankle... think the shell was the same shape as the race boots though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimark, yes we dont live all that far from Staple Hill and have visited already - thanks for the suggestion. They were very helpful but wont be up and running for a couple of weeks yet
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got on OK with hired boots however the first time hubby went with me was to courchevel and were the skis and boots were hired from didn't have size 12 boots the too small boots weregiving him cramp. They did however have ones big enough that he could buy. We went the last week of TO season so the boots were reduced. I decided to buy a pair for myself and they have been so much better than the hired ones I wouldn't go
back to hiring again. Every time I put them on they feel so comfortable. We found 1550 to be a lot cheaper than 1850. 1650 wasn't too bad on prices either. When we went I think the exchange rate worked in our favour (it was still francs then) I don't think that is the case now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlichoo wrote:
Never had a hire boot that fitted well.

Thats why I ended up buying my own!

Me too, plus I've never really had the urge to wear something that many other people have sweated in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy