Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Skiing this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Last winter I skiied in Scotland for the first time, about 3 weeks in total, with lots of ski touring and it was great. I knwo the snow was better alst year, but for a weekend break it is great and drivable for most in under 7-8 hours.

I know most people go abroad, but it woudl be great if those who have been can share your experience to encourage people to visit Scotland more and try thier skiing out.

Great for beginners and those who like touring. Not amazing for the more lift access folk who are long run steep and deep type skiier.

I'm not even Scottish! I will be there again this year without a doubt!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apologies, I wrongly posted this in Equipment reviews, doh!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lots in here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56723
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vid from easter weekend at Nevis

Easter Weekend At Nevis Range from jonathan clare
http://vimeo.com/10797924
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i'll move it to resort reviews for you. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JDC, that video makes me really really want to go skiing! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That worked well then! Embarassed

http://youtube.com/v/ynjBOVm2pXo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anyone got the online link to the photos in fall line mag? can't seem to find it Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://schenholm.com/Ovrigasidor/adventure_scotland.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmmmm never really considered Scotland.......

How much actual snow time is possible and are the lifts only open weekends?

Both me and wifey often get 3-4 day weekends off from work so could make a few weekends skiing.

Think I need to look into this more.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
charlichoo, as much snow time as you want... if there's snow. Lifts open 7 days.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any good website to check out to find out when there's snow etc?

As we often drive to Austria, driving a few hundred miles to Scotland is no problem.
Could drive up Friday, have a couple of days skiing and drive back Monday.

I'm liking the idea more and more Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlichoo, the snow reports here and winterhighland.info
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks
snow report
If you can get there from within the uk and it's not much hastle then certainly do it!!!
ski holidays
Aviemore is a steady 6 hour drive away so I'de certainly do that mileage for a weekends skiing.

Can you get weekend / 2 day lift passes? I've only seen season pass prices advertised.
snow report
Jimmythefoot, my wife and I went for the first time in Early April.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1507046&highlight=scottish#1507046
snow report
Yes there are 2 day tickets, however for CairnGorm and Nevis Range your probably better of buying a voucher book (CairnGorm does 4 day ones and Nevis Range 5 day ones) and these are valid throughout the season, so if you don't use them one weekend you can use them later in the season.
latest report
We skied Cairngorm last winter - a long weekend from South Devon (drove overnight each way and bagged three days skiing.) OK, the winter was the best for two decades, but it was truly awesome. We check out the conditions on the cairngorm mountain website and winterhighland info as already mentioned. Luckily DH is a meteorologist, so is OK (Ish!) at predicting the weather. We would only go if conditions looking good as it is so far. If there is snow overnight the road up to Cairngorm gets easily blocked and can not be open til mid morning at best. Don't know about the other resorts though - they may be better for access.
latest report
When I was up there the road to cairngorm was blocked but the road up to the lecht which is very high was open so we skied there. That is very limited but still ok for a few hours fun.
ski holidays
Quote:

If there is snow overnight the road up to Cairngorm gets easily blocked and can not be open til mid morning at best. Don't know about the other resorts though - they may be better for access.

Car park heights are:
Glenshee - 650m
Lecht - 635m
Cairngorm - 635 & 550m (no working lift currently from 550m - have to get bus)
Glencoe -305m
Nevis Range - 90m

So guess which ones are easier accessed!

For a quick overview of the areas:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/

winterhighland.info forum, public reports, forecasts & general mine of information.
latest report
never looked at it this waywhat...snow, interesting stuff! Very Happy
snow conditions
The A82 (which is effectively the Nevis and the Glencoe access road from the South) is one of the main roads North so is almost always clear. Just be careful on the lochside Madeye-Smiley

The main road to Glenshee from the South is a joke. I sat stationary in my car for 5 hours one day last year Confused
ski holidays
Is it just blocked roads as in vehicles getting stuck or do the roads actually get closed by the Police?

I have a high ground clearance 4x4 with winter snow tyres (and chains that I've never needed even in the Alps) and lots of experience with ice driving and off roading so the chances of me getting stuck are pretty slim. But that won't help me if the Police stop me from using the roads!

Poorly prepared drivers driving vehicles with summer tyres in snow & sub zero temps is a pet hate of mine.

Would hate to drive for 6 hours to get up there only to find the last few miles of my journey are blocked!

Hopefully it won't come to that.
snow report
what...snow, Glenshee can be a problem to get too when the snowgates get shut from both north and south , everyone q's till the ploughs have been through and the police have given the OK. I would say that Cairngorm is normally OK , but last year was exceptional and the amount of snow on either side of the access road acted like a snow fence when the wind blew (and it can seriously blow up there) so the road filled in and needed cleard even when it hadn't snowed , they also had so much snow the funicular needed dug out (well documented), only a problem for the less experienced skier as there was plenty of access from the lower lifts. Lecht can be difficult too get to and you dont want to get caught in a blizzard going in our out , I would say that this is the most hazardous road , this year it was single track from the east , so one car gets stuck , you are all stuck. Also believe it was closed from one direction for a fair few days.
I have bought snow socks for this year as my low profile tyres last year were a nightmare , getting a 4x4 next time.

But once the roads are open , it means new snow and worth the wait
snow conditions
charlichoo, there are snow gates which close and no one is allowed to pass unless of course you know someone with access. The problems usually arise when there is a combination of snow and strong winds resulting in drifting.

I think the A82 through Glencoe was closed for a single morning the whole of last year, that I'm aware of.

The Glenshee road tends to open from the North well before the South in the worst of conditions so if you are coming from Braemar you can get very lucky Cool
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:
Quote:

If there is snow overnight the road up to Cairngorm gets easily blocked and can not be open til mid morning at best. Don't know about the other resorts though - they may be better for access.

Car park heights are:
Glenshee - 650m
Lecht - 635m
Cairngorm - 635 & 550m (no working lift currently from 550m - have to get bus)
Glencoe -305m
Nevis Range - 90m

So guess which ones are easier accessed!

For a quick overview of the areas:
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/skiresorts/

winterhighland.info forum, public reports, forecasts & general mine of information.

Actually, the car park at Glencoe is around 360 metres.

Nevertheless, last season, the other advantage to Glencoe's inbetweeny base altitude was that a 'combat run' to the car park was often possible and that made a brilliant end to the day's skiing/boarding using about 720 metres of unbroken vertical. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scot_Ski,

You need winter tyres with a high speed rating.

scotia,

Glenshee when accessible from the north only is ace. Reckon 1/4 to 1/3rd of their customers arrive from that side & I've had a ball the days that has come off. The Lecht road seems to attract snow - been waiting on it opening but not much on the slopes! Have had to leave heading for Tomintoul due to the Cock Bridge route being shut quite a few times.

moffatross,

That makes sense because Rannoch Moor summit sign says 300m, then its flat, then a significant uphill from the main road. Still, pretty obvious why driving to the 2 areas just off the A82 is less stressful!

Edited because i noticed I'd misspelt there! Embarassed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-10-10 18:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
what...snow, company car Sad , I tried changing them in January this year , when fronts were due for renewal , Lease company were having none of it. The car company insisted that if winter tyres were fitted they had to be on all wheels so said NO!. Socks should be fine this year ,as we are up every weekend snow permitting will definately be 4x4 next time.
latest report
Guys, this is great stuff!

Let's pray to the Snow gods and spread the word.

Weekends are my favourite, leave 12 Midnight and arrive sat morning, B&B Sat and then back down Sunday!

Snow dependent I am planning a tour of as many Scottish resorts as possible in 5 days, well as many hotels or B&B's I can reach!

I'm so looking forward to it that I might even invite the wife!
snow report
If you live in Scotland then it is cost effective to set off from home ,Ski all day and drive home again. Otherwise you have to weigh up the travel,accommodation costs,etc which all mount up and if you live 'Dahn Sarf' might not be competitive with a late deal abroad.

If you live in the North West, North East or even in the midlands then you can do the ski club fields such as Yad Moss ,etc in the Penines in a day.
Basing your self at the 'Victoria Inn' (Alston,Cumbria) is a cheap option at £25 b&b for a single room if you want to get more ski days in.
£15 per day for a lift pass at any of the Penine 'Resorts' Which is a lot cheaper than the Scottish resort lift pass prices and from the Midlands they are half the driving distance.

In these 'cut back' times i guess they are going to getting even more popular than ever.
ski holidays
I drive up to yad moss from Manchester and back in a day. It's tiring but certainly doable.
snow conditions
Jimmythefoot, i think the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel is under New Ownership for this season, £20 pp for a room, that may include breakfast too, 10 minutes drive from the Ski Area.
May be a good option for you if your planning a day or two at Glenshee, Day Ticket at Glenshee this year is £27.
ski holidays
charlichoo, blocked roads can mean blocked by many feet of snow, ie this video from last year will show you even high ground 4x4s won't be getting up if the snowgods dump like they did last year...

http://youtube.com/v/fA02SAlOeJU&feature=related
latest report
On the accommodation front, last winter we used http://www.laterooms.com/ a lot, booking late on each time once we'd checked the weather forecast.

Winter prices can get very low - we got rooms from as little as £30 (for two!) but typically £40-£50 for a clean, if not slightly faded, biggish hotel with the all important late night bar and breakfast (and also including obligatory coach loads of out of season pensioners). Failing that, bed and breakfasts in places like Aviemore and Fort William start at about £48 for a double room.
ski holidays
what...snow, don't I know it Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy