Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain Troops

Poster: A snowHead
After a stint in the French army, I have kept an interest in all things military. So I have just come across those pics which some of you might find interesting, since I doubt the british army is often seen in these situations.

Some great pics with a few below but a lot more (and bigger and better res) HERE.

And displaying the latest in fartbag fashion:

I bet Oakley would love this shot:
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cool pics, thanks

the last one reminds me of horizon's jibber pics Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Royal Marines run an outward bounds course too. But they don't tend to pose quite as well wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc,

better him than me!

Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, and here are our Royal Marine commandos on winter exercise in Norway
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/PictureViewers/GalleryTheNavyOnExerciseInNorway.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our marines don't seem to be so good at camouflage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In both forces I notice a distinct lack of helmets in many of these shots!
tss tss

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ghost Dog, or beekeeping, judging by the French troops kit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent pictures of outstanding quality. Our own Marines train in Norway, of course.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That'll be Hemel Hempstead after the spending cuts. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Our own Marines

I thought you were a Kiwi wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
since I doubt the british army is often seen in these situations

Shame the French army are only any good at posing for the camera, eh?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have often seen French troops skinning up the side of pistes in Flaine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Very Happy. I did spend nearly 3 decades in 'our' Air Force - and I'm rather proud of 'our' Forces. Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Quote:

Lame effort!

I have been in this country for 14 years, you'll need a bit more than that to wind me up! wink
snow conditions
...reserved for joke about the skis being twintips so they can ski backwards... Wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-10-10 10:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ghost Dog wrote:

yeah they are....you just haven't seen them Laughing
latest report
Arno, LMAO, I was sitting here trying to think up a joke like that.
snow report
Arno wrote:
...reserved for joke about the skis being twintips so they can ski backwards... Wink

Skiing backwards while machine-gunning the baddies would be cool.
snow report
Met three guys from the French mountain forces in our hotel bar last week, where one of them was celebrating his birthday. They were in Tignes training for an Afghan deployment. He bought a couple of bottles of champagne so the rest of us in the bar could toast his birthday. He was then 'treated' to that peculiar British tradition of "the bumps" - although he did shout for matters to be stopped around bump 10 (he was very drunk) but the brave Brits helping him to celebrate kept going well in to the 20s Happy All three seemed nice guys, but looked like they could look after themselves pretty well if the going got tough.
ski holidays
Dot.,
Quote:

Ghost Dog wrote:

yeah they are....you just haven't seen them

Laughing Laughing

great pics btw Kruisler,
snow report
i shared a hut with a group of about 20 French troops. it was near Briancon so it may well have been Foreign Legion. we had been hoping to have the place to ourselves (it was out of season so we were in the winter rooms) so were a little disappointed when this lot turned up. however, they were absolutely impeccably behaved - all crammed themselves into one room; leaving us to take up an entire room between 3 of us, quiet, neat etc

they did spoil the plans of one other group who had clearly gone up to the hut with the intention of sitting around smoking bowls all afternoon/evening and felt somewhat inhibited about doing this in front of a bunch of soldiers!
latest report
If they were Foreign Legion, they may well not have been French, of course.....
latest report
I found myself surrounded by a group of demob-happy German Alpine troops at the Oktoberfest (in 1988). They were dancing on the tables swinging ice-axes around. They were quite amiable, but too far gone to realise they had a British spy with a feeble grasp of German in their midst.
snow report
operating under french colours...
maybe that's why they were so quiet - none of them spoke the same language Cool
snow conditions
In Les Arcs year, going down a famous unpisted run called 'Malgovert', its at about 2500m. Hard run but great fun. Thought we had done well till we came arcoss French army guys skiing (skinning?) up the run with full gear, backpacks, guns etc..and they had left from Arc 1600. Respect.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
A friend once pointed out a group of mountain huts and said "Thats where the French army train...Oh whats the name for them? You know, they have a special name." (Foriegn Legion she meant)
"POW's?" I replied.

adrian
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If they were Foreign Legion, they may well not have been French, of course.....

Arno forgot.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
....they did spoil the plans of one other group who had clearly gone up to the hut with the intention of sitting around smoking bowls all afternoon/evening and felt somewhat inhibited about doing this in front of a bunch of soldiers!

They obviously don't know soldiers that well.
latest report
Great pictures. One of my friends was in the Marines and did that training in Norway. Last few years (much older and a quite a bit fatter) he has been skiing here and I've been surprised at how very slow he's been to pick up skiing. He's had some good lessons, and basically knows what to do, but he's very anxious and finds it hard to relax. I thought he'd be yomping around all over the place, but he hasn't. After leaving the marines he was a professional diver working in tough locations including off shore oil rigs in Nigeria. He's no wimp (and when we're sailing he's always the one who has to go over the side if something gets stuck round the prop) but his Norwegian stint hasn't done much for his skiing.

I love that suit with the leaves. Blush
snow conditions
You can see some of the Austrian army guys fairly regularly in St Anton too (think they have a base in/near Lech?), they kit didn't seem to be quite so good though, skinny SKINNY short skis with old dynafits (and they were using the lifts).
snow report
what a peculiar place to do a spot of bee-keeping wink
ski holidays
Saw soldiers quite a lot on my season. Think they were Italian. Most of them were comepletely crap at skiing though which was quite funny. They were just dumped at the top and left to get on with it.
latest report
Quote:

They were just dumped at the top and left to get on with it.

It's sometimes like that in the marines too, I think. You get issued with "pussers planks" - great long old skis, probably not exactly the latest touring set up - and then start off down the slope (not a piste, natch) with 65 lbs on your back.
snow report
Think that there is a training barracks on the road above Flaine, probably for the sprogs doing some basic winter training by the look of them, seen them on the GM a few times. Some girlies with them too.
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
Quote:

Lame effort!

I have been in this country for 14 years, you'll need a bit more than that to wind me up! wink

The French Army is the only one where they have a reverse gear on their tanks wink
ski holidays
Whitegold, no one's heard that before. Ever. Not even the Italians. rolling eyes
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
Quote:

Lame effort!

The French Army is the only one where they have a reverse gear on their tanks wink

Whats the difference between toast and the French?

You can make soldiers out of toast.

French Special Forces:

http://youtube.com/v/4rJAw-fuYHk

etc etc...
latest report
pam w wrote:
I love that suit with the leaves. Blush

And there's one for each season:

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy