Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at this as an option for this winter's holiday.

Can anyone tell me about the resort/ski area.

How easy is it to get to from Geneva (is there public transport?)?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried the SEARCH function?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, The resort is lovely, a proper small alpine town, with little shops, cafes, bars etc., but not - I would say - a party town. The ski area is great - lots of variety, even though we only scratched the surface last January, so we are going again in Jan 11 Very Happy The scenery is stunning, with Mont Blanc part of it. Easy to get to from Geneva by road - less than an hour and only the last couple of miles that isn't motorway - but I don't know about public transport. There is a main train station there which brings people from Paris, but we used a transfer service (Ski Lifts - can recommend, cheapest of the options we looked at and very efficient/pleasant). PM me if you need more or some pointers for accommodation
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are buses several times a day, but they are expensive. Train is not straightforward, as you generally need to change at Annecy.
More details here http://www.st-gervais.net/uk/acces_uk.asp
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, I am going there on 12th December with these http://www.snowcoach.co.uk/page.php?id=36&pid=4&mpg=greatplacestostay there are now 5 of us going by coach but you can can also fly or drive with them. They have a coach in resort so it gives you access to lots of the other resorts a main reason for going also 8 days skiing Very Happy I skied around the Chamonix area last year and thought it was great with something for everybody.
Will let you know how we get on snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to everyone who responded. I was looking at this hotel: www.liberty-mont-blanc.com

Is the resort linked to any ski areas? How big is the ski area?

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, I've walked past this hotel and it's in a good location for the lifts and village - about equidistant from each. The ski area is big - details here (on the weblink you posted! http://www.liberty-mont-blanc.com/chapitre8_en_2.html) 420km in the Evasion Mont Blanc, between 1400m and 2400m, plus various distractions for snowboarders - you can see the linked resorts on the piste map

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 8-10-10 8:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Linds, Assume your plan is to ski Chamonix again - Unless snowcoach know something about the snowfall that the rest of us don't, St Gervais/Megeve doesn't open until 18th and Les Contamines the day before.

jb1970, If you like very pretty, treelined, not too steep and with plenty of opportunities for chocolate stops you'll love it. St Gervais/Megeve/St Nicolas - around 235km are all linked by lift. Les Contamines, which is a lot more open and generally a bit steeper about 20/25 minutes by bus is another 120km. In addition there is Combloux/La Giettaz at around 100km (overlaps a bit with Megeve) which you can get to by either a combination of ski and bus or drive. In the unlikely event that that isn't enough for you, you can catch the tramway mont blanc up to Les Houches - although have to pay for both the train and the lift pass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie wrote:
jb1970, If you like very pretty, treelined, not too steep and with plenty of opportunities for chocolate stops you'll love it.

And Mt Joly provides plenty of testing off-piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Gervais is part of the Domaine Evasion which is known to most skiers as Megeve.

On paper Domaine Evasion claims 300km piste and that is the size of Tignes plus Val D'Isere put together!

Domaine Evasion is well linked together with sevaral access points. St Gervais is the south most side with one gondolas going up to the mid level and then another leg to the top. Don't think it is skiable back to the town.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annie, I'm quite interested in this area as an alternative to PdS or Chamonix this year; I take it you know it well? If one liked a beer of an evening, as well as a daytime ski, which do you think would be the best place to stay out of St Gervais, Les Contamines and La Giettaz? Not looking for anything rowdy, but preferably somewhere with an option other than just a restaurant for evenings....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee, Yes, it is, sort of ......just not that often (red "St Gervais" piste) - open for the sum total of about 3.5 weeks when we spent the season there and that was a great snow year!

laundryman, Indeed. .........or so my 12 year old tells me. Embarassed SO much more his bag than mine!

rainman, I don't think any of them could be described as a hotbed of evening activity! We were there as a family with a child that went to school, so didn't spend a great deal of our time checking out the watering holes. (had a permanent wine box on the end of the kitchen counter though!). Tough call. probably not La Giettaz, much though it is by far my favourite of the ski bits, I think (Miranda may come along and correct me!) it's very quiet on the nightlife front. Les Contas would probably be the livelier of the three, and has good skiing but it's more difficult to access the rest of the ski area with only one bus to the St Gervais lift each day at about 10ish I think - fine if you have transport though or if 120km or so is enough for you. St Gervais is a really pretty town has 3, 4 maybe 5 'bars' as opposed to restaurants (of which there are several) and also has Ice hockey at the ice rink which can be quite fun. - It's always my choice, though others will think Les Contamines has more to offer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman, La Giettaz really is a mountain village (it makes me smile when I go to other places that are described as "village resorts" because they feel like towns in comparison to La Giettaz). In the village itself there is Chez Lulu, a French bar run by lovely people who don't speak much English but who will happily serve you and and try their best to meet you half way with a bit of franglais. The Refuge du Nomad is a great restaurant that also has a very cosy bar area with a pool table and a bit more English spoken than Chez Lulu... and then there is a bar at Chalet La Giettaz, where the very friendly bar staff speak fluent English and are known to enjoy a good chat wink. There are a couple of other bars attached to hotels too. On the plus side, each of these places - and the restaurants - have a lovely ambiance because it is a tiny village and people get to know each other rather than bar-hopping... but that's because bar-hopping isn't really an option.

I'm obviously biased when it comes to La Giettaz because I live there, run a business there, and absolutely love it. But, I would never suggest it as a place to anyone for whom a lot of bars is a priority. It is a cosy, little retreat where you can get some great food in some traditional restaurants, have a drink or two and meet some very friendly people... but its authentic charm is a result of its small size, and that's something that people either do or do not want on a ski break. We've had a lot of guests aged mid-20s+ and so far everyone has loved the place but it's definitely horses for courses.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
miranda, yes, I have been browsing your very lovely website for a few days now! So Giettaz is definitely under consideration. And we're not looking for raucous nights out,particularly as we are all on the wrong side of 39, but I'm also aware that five men can be quite loud when a few drinks have flowed... we don't want to upset the locals. Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts. I'm definitely drawn to the idea of somewhere a bit off the beaten track.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman wrote:
I'm also aware that five men can be quite loud when a few drinks have flowed... we don't want to upset the locals.

Laughing We have a lot of friends come and visit us, and you really don't have to worry on that front.

Thank you for your compliments on the website. We would of course love to welcome you to La Giettaz but, wherever you choose, I hope you have a great trip!
ski holidays
I drove through St Gervais twice today. A very attractive town - some great buildings. I haven't been through there for a few years as I usually take a short cut that avoids it - we had friends in the car who had never been there, so I went through - I'd forgotten how nice it was.
snow conditions
Annie wrote:
I don't think any of them could be described as a hotbed of evening activity!

I went to a lively bar in St Gervais last winter, where some friends from Megève were playing on an open mic. Can't remember the name, but it was before the centre, on the right, coming from Megève. I'd have thought St G is big enough that there's a reasonable number of bars and restaurants to choose from, but agree that nothing's likely to be riotous.
ski holidays
I think Annie,'s right in her descriptions. Maybe it's because we live in central London when we're in the UK so are used to being surrounded by lots of people and bars, but I wouldn't describe any of the smaller resorts as being "a hotbed of evening activity". We also spend a fair amount of our UK time with family and friends in the tiny highland village of Badachro, where there's only one pub for miles and miles... and we've certainly stumbled home from the local, after a very fun and boozy evening with plenty of chat from the locals and the passing tourist trade, on numerous occasions. Very Happy
snow report
laundryman, O Booze - just after the DMC?
snow conditions
Annie, could well be, but I don't remember the name.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy