Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another snow tyre question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just seen an ad for Nanking SW-7 studdable tyres. As described in the ad they have the snow symbol so should be OK for a run to the Alps.

On the other hand I'm not sure what they mean by stubbable, are there bits to screw in to the apparent holes in the treads? Are studded tyres legal in UK? Are Nanking tyres good snow/winter tyres, if not why not?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Studs=illegal in UK.
Nanking are perfectly decent company, better than some, worse than some others according to the reviews.

Go to mytyres.co.uk and look at their selection for your specific tyre size
Thereafter Google is your friend to find various tyre review sites.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you obviously need full snow coverage but damn studded tyres are fun Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tafflondon, tyres with studs def not legal in UK, not sure about France\ swiss rules. Winter tyres are usually Ok, with additional of chains when it gets rough for the alps. Plenty of choice for these.
I have Michellin winter tyres on steel rim that I also use in winter conditions in the UK. I have found these more than adequate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know that there is a law that says that the tyres must not cause damage to the road surface, but I suspect that it would be very difficult to prove that your car had done the damage. When I used to rally we had tyres with different quantities of studs for different conditions.
There used to be a myth about studded tyres until I think the late 80's when UK complied with EU regs, there were so few people using studs that it hardly warranted passing a law.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sometimes "Studdable tyre" just means - has ability to take studs if you want. I have some (not Nanking though) and they currently ok but not great. Better to get something not designed to work best with studs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tafflondon, take care not to confuse 'snow' tyres with 'winter tyres' (both have the snowflake symbol) Winter tyres are adequate for your run to the Alps. I have Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme on my rear wheel drive car and it performs almost magically in both fairly thick snow and ice/hardpack. They are also very good at higher temperatures too (personally I can feel a performance drop above 15C). I change mine Nov to April, but a friend of mine runs his all year round in the UK with no issues. It's all you need.

Snow tyres are too specific IMHO, and as for studded, forget them..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nankang SW-7 are Winter Tyres, not Snow Tyres so you'll be fine fitting them. Don't fit studs though or they'll be illegal in the UK.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy