Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How can I learn a simple jump?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I started skiing last year, and have since skiid 16 days in total.

I'm becoming much more confident with my skiing and enjoy challenging reds (and some blacks) and mogul fields too!

I like a challenge and I want to learn how to do some jumps - I own twin tip skis so this makes freestyling easier. Anyone got any tips for a beginner jumper?

Thanks very much
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start small

Flex into the front of the boots as you reach the lip of the jump pop ( Extend to help with take off)

Stay centered on the skis and as you hit the snow again absorb by flexing back into the boots.

Enjoy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in your situation also, I started skiing last year for a week in Switzerland.

I tried doing a jump and my friend recorded it Smile

http://youtube.com/v/G5L1F09IUmE
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tomo54, Wow, amazing attempt! Nice one! Thats exactly the kind of thing I want to be able to do by the end of the coming season!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
find a fun park with purpose built jumps and sloped landing zones, makes life much easier!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tomo54,
That was a really good effort and took some nerve Madeye-Smiley
But (going to be a boring old fart now) to lessen the possibility (not get rid of all together ?) of injury - you MUST, when learning to jump, make sure you have a drop away after the jump. So make sure that when you land you hit a slope that is facing away from your jump.

You almost landed you 360 (respect).
Next time try 3 things
1] Turn with your head 1st –ie. turn and look for the landing spot.
2 ] Don't extend your legs (like you did) halfway through the spin/jump or it makes it difficult to land and absorb
3 ] Slow down and do smaller jumps to start with

But, mega respect your video - Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lemracyrrap, When you do your first jumps remember to throw your hands forwards to keep you from flipping backwards. Practice a few little pops off bumps or terrain crests first.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomo54, You should change your user name to Tomo354.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomo54, I just watched the vid and maybe Tomo374 might be better, you were going a bit too fast but max respect for having a go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't believe you guys are wanting to jump, and in the video having such a good stab at it after only a short time skiing. It's not an idea that floats my boats - though I ought to learn what to do in case I ever find myself airbourne over roller by accident Shocked However, my point in posting on this thread was to say that my kids have started to want to jump (silly billys, but there you go - that's kids). They have started in the snowpark where there are pupose made jumps of all heights - they have started with the small ones, but they are designed with the correct angles for take off and landing as described above - you might like to find a resort that has one to practice in.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-10-10 21:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tomo54, kudos dude. you look pretty confident after being on skis for 1 week.

lemracyrrap, just start small and don't be over confident. if you're near a dome, go to one of the freestyle evenings as they normally have coaches on hand to assist people who are starting out in freestyle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is my eldest in the Snow park at Les Arcs last Jan as an example of the sort of place you can go to - the light was a bit flat that day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go big and make sure the cameras are on, youtube is your friend
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I'm still on the small ones as I'm too old to heal quickly Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tomo54, lemracyrrap, Just get out there and play. There is a progression like everything else so don't go straight to the double flips Smile but other than that just go a try it. You will stack it, multiple times, get back up and do it again and again until you stop eating snow. You will be landing 3s in no time.

MTFU Toofy Grin
latest report
Get yourself to one of the Salomon Grom Camps and learn to pop with the best of them
ski holidays
I've now bought a pair of armoured shorts after an accident which involved me shooting up a wall, coming back down backwards and digging my non twin tipped skis into the snow/wood junction... it cast me like a fishing fly right onto my coccyx. Jumps are so much easier when you have padding... at least the messed up landings are anyhow.
snow report
lemracyrrap, you can always try and practice on the air bags which are getting more popular around the big resorts, Val, Tignes, La plagne etc, they are also introducing them to some of the indoor snow centers on special nights. keep on digging Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
cockofthenorth, Yeah... those are great fun. Highly recommend giving them a go.
snow conditions
lemracyrrap wrote:
Tomo54 Nice one! Thats exactly the kind of thing I want to be able to do by the end of the coming season!

Exactly? Considering the outcome of that jump attempt, reaching your goal should be a piece of cake! wink
snow conditions
Warning this is just my thoughts and i will doubtless get corrected Toofy Grin

the key thing here is to get a your balance right to help get a good pop off the lip of the jump or kicker,

as previously mentioned you need your weight well forward and try and flex the front of the ski into the jump so that as you extend at the lip the ski will 'pop' and that spring will help you increase your 'air'. Once in the air try and retract you legs and try to get your skis to mirror the terain below so your not slamming onto the tips or tails. Dont land on straight legs they should be nice and 'soft and flexed' otherwise you knees will start to hate you very quickly.

Your arms should stay forward otherwise you will end up on your ar$e as you land.

Before you start jumping one drill i found very usefull on the flat slope was a highly exaggerated 'falling leaf' with the focus on feeling your weigh moving forewards and backwards, this will help you with judging your best position on the skis for hitting the jump but more importantly give you the skill to get re-balanced quickely on landing which will save you many embarrasing and painfull wipeouts if you land out of balance.

Another thing to do before hitting your first proper jumps is to make sure you can get 'bunny hops' on a flat slope just practice weighting the tips and extrending in small forward and up jumps so you get used to the feeling. then find a nice roll or knuckle in the hill and repeat that over the apex and see how far you get and feel how the bigger landing feels.

When you jump remember you are jumping forward and up not just up.

To get some rotation you will need to pre-rotate your body and use your opposite edges to give you a stable platform to get the rotation. Try doing exagerated jump turns on a flat slope to get the feeling of pre-rotating and using your edges to give that stability.
snow conditions
lemracyrrap,

there are some great tips on here, however do not over complicate things, just keep "going for it" the more you jump the easier it gets, and the better you get at skiing the less you will have to think about jumping it will just come.

From the vid you are already more than half way there as most peoples "heads" say dont do it.

Plus remember the old WM saying

"you carnt get hurt in the air man"
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for all the helpful hints and tips. I think I'm just going to give it a go after day one, once I've found my feet again. I'll make sure it gets filmed LOL
snow conditions
This is another video which was taken in the same place as my other video at the top.

Our whole group went over the jump but my friend went over with a little bit too much speed and kinda lost a bit of control!

Our instructor as you can image was a bit worried and so dropped the camera.

Makes me laugh everytime you had to have been there to get the full experience. Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/TKMrpEkcIFE
snow conditions
lemracyrrap & Tomo54. As Dr george said I would have a look at the salomon grom camps. Brilliant nights and you will advance loads when skiing with like minded jibbers. There are some clips of their evenings on you tube and everyone would make you feel very welcome.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy