Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake louise ski school

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience of the ski school at Lake Louise?

I.e. feedback on how good/bad it is? Struture of day? Numbers per class?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi probably depends when you are going. We went early January and booked a group snowboard lesson for our Son and he was one to one with the instuctor and came on in leaps and bounds. Fantastic resort with free hosting also available. Full day is 4 hours with a break for lunch.
Hope this helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
v1cky24 wrote:
Struture of day? Numbers per class?

really wasn't that difficult to find

http://www.skilouise.com/rentals-and-lessons/adult-programs.php
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks ratbag.

I am going mid January and we have 3 days booked. Last year we were really lucky and ended up with just me and the husband in the class with the instructor. We both came on loads, I was hoping it might be the same here (went to Panorama last year).

Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well thanks for that Shoogly. rolling eyes

I have obviously already looked on the website. I can use the internet after all. Shocked

I wanted to get an opinion from someone who has actually been there. For example, the reality of being in a group lesson when the resort is quiet = 1-2-1 tuition without paying for a private lesson. And also I find that the resorts own statement on the quality of instruction is unlikely to be anything other than glowing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
v1cky24, Great instructors and a great resort had booked a 1 on 1 with them for a powder tour and after it was finished the instructor switched his schedule so he could spend the afternoon with me Free of charge.

Skied with him for another 4 days on the trip and it only ever cost me lunch
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fattes13, Thanks for that, just the sort of thing I was after. Awesome!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have had really good "Freshtracks" (or is it "first-tracks"?) lessons at LL. They are fairly priced private lessons first thing in the morning (as the name suggests!). You can book a 2 hour or 3 hour lesson with your own instructor. The good thing is that you are on the hill half an hour before general skiers;- you do get a private bus pick up from Banff to get you there in time. It is one of the recent improvements at LL which has improved our opinion of the hill in general. If you just book group lessons you can be lucky and end up with a private lesson, but equally there could be around 5 in the group which is a somewhat diluted experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
v1cky24, mid-Jan will be very quiet especially through the week. If you do want a private or get a choice of instructor for whatever reason, Lee Payne is great.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
v1cky24 wrote:
Well thanks for that Shoogly. rolling eyes

I have obviously already looked on the website. I can use the internet after all. Shocked

I wanted to get an opinion from someone who has actually been there. For example, the reality of being in a group lesson when the resort is quiet = 1-2-1 tuition without paying for a private lesson. And also I find that the resorts own statement on the quality of instruction is unlikely to be anything other than glowing.

fair enough, but the website answers your last couple of questions. Maybe i've been spending too much time on TGR Very Happy You didn't ask what the chances were of getting something you probably don't want to pay for (ie, private lesson at group rates).

For what it's worth, Lake Louise is my favourite ski area that i've been to so far. What kind of standard is your skiing? If you're confident with exploring blacks/double blacks, you'll have an absolute blast.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think you'd have a blast skiing Lake Louise at any ability. Maybe a bit limiting for absolute beginners in that most of the beginner trails excluding the front side are just cat tracks. Fun all the same snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

equally there could be around 5 in the group which is a somewhat diluted experience.

that would be a very small group in Europe!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, reason to ski in Canada no. 78 NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotia, I have private lessons in France which cost 58 euros for 2 hours for up to 3 people, just a tad cheaper than Canada, I think. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, just a little.
snow conditions
Thanks all, appreciate it!

I just started skiing blacks/moguls on my last trip to panorama so I'm really hoping to build my confidence on that type of terrain.

I appreciate we were really lucky the last 2 skiing trips when we booked group lessons before hand only to find that we were essentially 'the group' when we got to resort. The number of people doesn't bother me too much as long as they advance you / change the group so the abilities are similar and people don't end up bored and not learning anything.
ski holidays
Your attitude is vile, no offence.

LL ski school is excellent and if the group max is 6, then that's what you'll get and I'm unsure as to why you're questioning this. It appears you've skiied in Canada before so you're also familiar with the CSIA system...

You may be lucky going mid-Jan and find yourselves alone.

If you feel that the group are "not good enough" then it's ultimately your responsibility to ask to be moved - although tbh I think you'd struggle in group 5.

I'd love to give you the names of a couple of excellent instructors but I'm not sure they deserve you.
ski holidays
Alexandra, Why is my attitude vile? Have I asked an unreasonable question? Is it wrong for me to want to ensure that I am not wasting my money on lessons?

Is there something wrong with wanting to be in a group with people of the roughly the same ability?

Jeez - I asked a simple question and get bashed left right and centre. I thought this site was for friendly advice between a group of people with a love for snowsports?
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:

As well as not making clear to whom you addressed that remark, how do you expect anyone not to take offence at being told that their attitude is 'vile'?
snow report
vile does seem a tad strong...
snow report
Our group put seven children through the school at Easter the season before last (08/09), skiing one week and boarding the next. The ratios were good all through (1:1 at best), the instructors were universally popular, and they all learnt something. However on the second boarding day our younger ones (9 at the time, for whom it was their second day ever boarding) learnt nothing, and we saw the instructor basically hanging out at the botom of the nursury lift with the unoccupied instuctors, just telling the kids to keep usuing the drag. We had a word that evening and things were fine the next day.
So, if you have no children I'd highly recommend it. If you do I'd still recommend it but suggest you make time during the day to check on their progress.
My first post, so I hope it's useful. Smile
latest report
baggyboy, thanks for that, very useful. Welcome to snowheads! snowHead
snow conditions
Yellow Pyranha wrote:

As well as not making clear to whom you addressed that remark, how do you expect anyone not to take offence at being told that their attitude is 'vile'?

*tumbleweed* rolling eyes
snow conditions
I would think the chances of ending up with a private lesson when paid for group in mid-Jan on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays would be quite good.

HAve only ever experienced kids lessons, which were fairly good. The kids Bow Valley program is very well thought of locally.
latest report
v1cky24 wrote:
Alexandra, Why is my attitude vile?

It isn't.

Hers is.

I have had my disagreements with various Snowheads in the past, and there are a few whose personas on here I don't much like.

But she is the only one I would have killfiled if such a thing existed on here.

She seems to think she is better than everybody else, and it shows.
snow report
Quote:

That anybody could actually combine those two comments in the one sentence and expect to be taken seriously is just hilarious.

The OP said

Quote:

I just started skiing blacks/moguls on my last trip to panorama so I'm really hoping to build my confidence on that type of terrain.

and
Quote:

The number of people doesn't bother me too much as long as they advance you / change the group so the abilities are similar and people don't end up bored and not learning anything.

the response was.
Quote:

If you feel that the group are "not good enough" then it's ultimately your responsibility to ask to be moved - although tbh I think you'd struggle in group 5.

The "not good enough" comment is not, so far as I can see, warranted.....the OP comment is as consistent with the OP being moved from the group if she fails to reach the standard of the others as the contrary.

The basis for the "struggle" point is not at all clear........maybe Alexandra could explain why she thinks that and the basis for it.
snow report
Alexandra, I spend all day teaching 5 year olds who need to learn how to be nice to each other and not call each other names so I don't need to spend my hard-earned leisure time reading offensive posts (from adults who should know better) on here which are totally unnecessary and unconstructive. Please let genuine snowsports enthusiasts of all levels of ability communicate with each other here civilly in an atmosphere of mutual respect and interest.
snow report
You are all more than welcome to PM me any personal woes you have with my posting style.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the evidence of this thread it seems to be an issue of content more than style.

A definition of vile is

wretchedly bad:
highly offensive, unpleasant, or objectionable:
repulsive or disgusting, as to the senses or feelings:
morally debased, depraved, or despicable:
foul; filthy:
poor; wretched:
of mean or low condition:
menial; lowly:
degraded; ignominious:
of little value or account; paltry:

which one of those did you have in mind and why, when you made the original post/comment?
latest report
gryphea wrote:
I would think the chances of ending up with a private lesson when paid for group in mid-Jan on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays would be quite good.

I would want a refund if I had paid for group lesson without a group. Mad
Group lessons can be hilarious + it helps me feel better if there is someone more inept than me. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy