Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for being lazy and not doing a search first.

I've racked up sufficient BA Miles and a companion voucher to get business class flights to North America for Mrs L and me. As in the last couple of years, I intend to take the opportunity to ski (obviously). Mid-January looks like the best window between other commitments and to avoid holiday periods. We'd probably do a one-week (mid-week to mid-week) trip.

I've skied lots in California and a bit in Oregon and Colorado. I just fancy Whistler this year for some reason.

Obviously, the rest of the trip will be DIY, so:

- Any hotel recommendations? (We like lots of space, but not particularly fussed by luxuries; and prefer to be in a town/village that we can stroll around in the evening and choose different restaurants, rather than slope-side.)

- Any practical alternatives to hiring a car to get there? Is there any advantage in having a car whilst in the resort?

- Any other hints/tips?

- Any particular reason not to go there then? Should we be considering anywhere else in BC?

BTW, Mrs L can ski any prepared trail; I like to dabble at slightly more challenging stuff. And we prefer to be able to meet up frequently if we do choose different ways down a mountain.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have you found miles flights to Vancouver?! Shocked

i understand that the tourist office is the best choice for sorting out accommodation etc. the only hotel i have used is the Westin which was very nice in a slightly soul-less way (if you are looking for soul, Whistler ain't the place...). it is right next to the two main lifts out of the village and all the amenities of whistler village are pretty much on your doorstep

not many advantages to hiring a car if you are planning to stay in resort for the full week. you don't need a car once you are there provided you are staying centrally. the busses up to Whistler (either from the Airport or Downtown) are fine but probably take about an hour extra on top of driving. the alternatives are helicopter or sea plane! not sure how reliable these would be in winter

i have mixed feelings about whistler. my inlaws live in vancouver and have a cabin up there so i go quite regularly and it beats the hell out of most places to have in-laws! that said, if i didn't have family there, i am not sure i would make the effort to go all that way. it feels a bit like an even more developed Val d'Isere but with more snow. IMO the best thing about the skiing is the steep stuff above the tree line which really is world class - not sure if that is really your thing from your post. some of the interior BC resorts (eg Okanagan valley) might be more your cup of tea skiing-wise and might offer a bit more of an interesting experience. Whistler always feels a bit like Disneyland to me...

also, it snows shed-loads there which means that bluebird days are quite rare IME (esp Jan) so if you don't like skiing in flat light, think very carefully before committing!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Any particular reason not to go there then?

6 day lift pass = £300

I've always wanted to go but the £600 lift pass price for the 2 of us is more than I've paid for some trips in total Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman,

It's well worth checking out the W-B website, since they offer a selection of discounted accommodation/lift ticket packages if you book before November 15th.

Last year, they extended the early booking deadline for discount lift tix until after Nov 15th (but that might hav been because they were trying to offset Olympic aversion).

As an alternative to hotels, you might also consider condos - just the thing if you like "lots of space": there's a very good selection offered via Alluradirect.

Health warning:
Remember that any prices you see will be the before-tax versions!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman,
Quote:

- Any practical alternatives to hiring a car to get there? Is there any advantage in having a car whilst in the resort?

I have been a couple of times but quite a while ago, we got Limousine transfers which from memory were cheaper than car hire but we were going for two weeks. Infinately preferable to car hire as we were tired after the flight but this was flying from Asia cattle class with two young children. A car would have been no use to us whilst we were there. We rented via Allura and the condos were excellent as well but mid week to midweek may be more difficult though from memory our stays were not sat -sat stays.

Very easy to choose different ways down the mountain and meet up at the lifts, I was quite impressed with the skiing. The main drawbacks for me were the longish lift queues and the mountain restaurants, by and large indifferent cafe syle fast food. Good places to eat in the evening though but not cheap.

One other thing I had previously skied in America where everything is religously marked, you do need to be a little more careful in Whistler we toddled off down an inviting looking slope that had not been skied and found ourselves above a set of cliffs which needed a bit of a hike out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman

I like the Blackcomb Lodge on the village square. It should fit your criteria. Others will offer up alternatives. Most of the bigger hotels are slopeside or not more than a few hundred yards away. The Fairmont has come recommended by a friend, but I've not stayed there.

If you plan to spend the whole time in Whistler, and not travel elsewhere, a car would be more trouble than it is worth. Plenty of bus/limo choice from YYV. The main area is quite compact, and you can ski/bus to Creekside.

Other tips, not really, but don't come away thinking WB is representative of Canada.

The only real drawback of the place is that it can get busy, Oh, and you can end up losing a fair bit of slope time if you like to party.

Where else? When I get the chance it will be a road trip from YYC>Nakiska>Banff>KH>Revy etc taking in SS, Castle, Fernie, Cranbrook etc etc. But Whistler is in itself a fantastic place, and somewhere everyone should go to at least once.

Enjoy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
- "Any hotel recommendations? (We like lots of space, but not particularly fussed by luxuries; and prefer to be in a town/village that we can stroll around in the evening and choose different restaurants, rather than slope-side.)"

Broadly speaking there is not a real difference between "in town" and "slopeside" as most of the accomodation is in town and not too far, from the lift base. Some hotels are right next to the lifts eg the Westin or one of the Pan Pacifics at Whistler and the Fairmont at Blackcomb. The real decision is do you stay in Whistler Village or at the Blackcomb base... I have done both and prefer Whistler village but that is just me. Wherever you stay strolling around and eating out is an easy option. If you feel the walk is too far there is a free bus and loads of taxis.

If space is a prime issue, go with a condo. We always use Allura and have never been disappointed

Simple answer......if you are just going for the skiing you do not need a car either to get there or get around when there.

- Any particular reason not to go there then? Should we be considering anywhere else in BC?

Whistler is close to 2 major urban centres in Vancouver and Seattle. This means it gets busy on weekends and holidays. There is an US holiday weekend in mid Jan for Martin Luther Kings birthday and one in mid Feb for Presidents Day. You would want to avoid those if you can. That apart late Jan/early Feb should be ok snow-wise and crowd wise but you will notice a difference on weekends from weekdays. Book a restaurant for dinner on the weekend ....just turning up might mean no meal or a long wait. Through the week you should be ok other than in the top end places where it is always advisable to book
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the input peeps! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed at the Hilton when we went to Whistler in April. Pleasant, roomy accommodation and they looked after us well when our stay was extended due to the volcanic ash cloud, offering to upgrade our room for the rest of our time there snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As mentioned by others, no need to have a car there, just take the coach up (Pacific Coachlines) - last year we used these chaps http://www.ridebooker.com/book/airports/yvr/whistler which seemed to work well and would have been faster except for messing around waiting-for/dropping-off some Olympic worker.
We used to rent an apartment in the North Village since it is a bit cheaper than the main village or blackcomb, yet just as convenient for most things in town and easy to get a free shuttle if you didn't want to walk (10-15 minutes) to the slopes

Now it is my local ski mountain (well if you don't count Cypress, Grouse, or Seymour) so I guess I should be encouraging you to go somewhere else wink - Revelstoke and Red Mountain are pretty decent, though trickier to get too and not so good if pistes are your thing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, I've sent you a PM, Seymour is my local hill now!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, Sounds like we may shortly almsot be neighbours then Happy We're in the West End at the moment but shortly plannning to move to Lynn Valley or Deep Cove
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, We stayed in the Hilton. It was lush. We had a room that had a kitchenette in it, so after the first morning spending $26 on breakfast, we went to the Whistler grocery store and bought provisions. We ate in a couple of nights too. The hotel has lovely pool and the hire shop was in the same complex. All staff exceptionally nice.

We did a limo/coach transfer thing to/from Vancouver - it was about $80 each. Was ok.

Quote:

BTW, Mrs L can ski any prepared trail; I like to dabble at slightly more challenging stuff. And we prefer to be able to meet up frequently if we do choose different ways down a mountain.

Whistler will be perfect for you both then, as this sounds pretty much like me and Mr MarjMJ. We had the time of our lives out there, and the terrain is sooooo expansive that there is plenty to please you both.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have used Alluradirect to book condos in Whistler in the past they do discount deals for lift passes and ski hire if you book with them. Went on line and booked bus transfer from the airport to Whistler we were dropped off just out side the building we where staying in.
We have also stayed in Big white, Silver Star, Sun Peaks and Revelstoke.
The interior resorts, its easier to fly on to Kelowna they then they are all within easy driving distance. You can book bus transfer to Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks from Kelowna. Lots of runs and non of the crowds.
Revelstoke book it now as we had problems in Feb ended up 20mile out of town you will need a car if you go.

Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy