Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste skis need for BASI, anyone got any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I'm after a set of Piste Ski/All mountain for my BASI course and just wondering if anyone has any hints or tips on what to buy?

I'm around 80kg, around 5' 7" and an aggressive skier. My skis are normally around the 160 size, and im just lost on what to buy theres so much out there?

can anyone help?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll want something that will allow you to demonstrate precise skiing on piste, short and long radius turns. Head Supershape Magnums, or perhaps the new Supershape Titans, seem fairly popular on BASI courses.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These might be suitable.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just ordered some Rossi GS Oversize 8's (or something) from the BASI offer as a 'sensible' training ski. Look like they will be pretty good as an all rounder (80mm underfoot, 17m etc. etc.) although I don't think they are as stiff as my other stuff.

At the offer price I'm sure they will be fine wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polarchimp, I'm far from an expert and nowhere near instructor course standard but am a similar size. I would think that 160's are far too short and those 170's would be ideal. I'm on 169's myself.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what basi course? i agree with colinb 160 sounds a bit short..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polarchimp, which BASI course? As you don't specify I'm assuming L1 or 2, so a general all round ski you're comfortable on will be good - just avoid twin tips, big mountain skis etc. Are you male or female? 160 does sound a bit short for your height / weight / aggression - what skis are they?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
These might be suitable.

They're ideal Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi thanks for all the replies,

I’m a male on my BASI 1 course, and yep I will b avoiding twin tips I was thinking just a good all mountain ski, one that will be good for the course but also good fun for going off piste for recreation skiing.
So everyone thinks 160 - 165 sound too short? It’s just what I have always skied on and I was just going with what I know. I have measured my height am I am exactly 169cm standing barefoot (which is a few mm just short of 5’ 7”). Would everyone recommend going with 170 skis?

Again thanks for all the replies .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
polarchimp, I doubt it will be a deal breaker on your L1. Best just make sure that the ones you have are serviced and are in good condition. Probably best not to rush and test an assortment before you buy. I'm 5.10 (and 80kg kitted up) and usually ski 165 SL ski's or 170 all rounders, but will go longer for my next pair of 'off piste' ski's.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polarchimp, hmmm, I'd say 170cm for piste skis with 169 height is unecessarily long.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Head Supershape Magnums in 163cm or Supershape Titans in 170cm if you want a bit of extra help with your off-piste and variables. Those skis will see you through your L1, L2 and most of your L3 if you stick with BASI through the various levels.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy