Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seytroux and St Jean D'aulps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Thinking of looking in this area for next season as seem to get more for your money out here (SC holibob)... No dates yet... I know there is a small ski area in Grande Terche and I 'think' it is only about 10 mins drive to the Ardent lift...

What I was wondering is...
a) Are my times correct for driving to Ardent?
b) What is Grande Terche Like? Piste and off Piste?
c) What are Seytroux and St Jean D'aulps like as villages?
d) I know they are both quite low and on the edge of the alps so what is the village snow cover like (always nice to stay somewhere that is covered)?

Many thx folks for any info passed in my direction...

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlpineAddict, we skied in St Jean a few years ago with our children (2nd year ski school) and another family whose children were beginners. We had some issues with ESF but may have been unlucky. Otherwise, I'd recommend it for a family, beginners, not too adventurous, happy with a limited area etc - it's 35km I think. Grande Terche pistes are fine, with lovely views, and there is a wide winding piste down to the base (top of the gondola - we were there in the bad snow year, so not possible to ski right down, but I believe it is usually. New snow cannons there too now), which most people could manage after a few days in ski school.

Know nothing about off-piste - sorry
St Jean village is OK - not gorgeous, not much there. One road with traffic passing through, shops, couple of bars, restaurants, church, school etc - the usual
As mentioned, we were there in the bad snow year, so nothing to see until we were at the top of the Grande Terche gondola - on a positive note, it WAS very pretty in the surrounding mountains - all green and sunny Very Happy

Ardent IS about a 10 minute drive, but a big selling point for St Jean is that you have 4 or 5 entry points to the PdS within 10-15 minutes drive. It's a cheaper, lower key alternative to staying in Morzine or Les Gets. Remember though, that the Grande Terche isn't linked to the PdS.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlpineAddict, 10 minutes to Ardent somewhat optimistic, I'd reckon on closer to 20-25. You don't really quite have 4-5 PDS entry points, you have Ardent (little reason to carry beyond to Super Morzine or Prodains, IMV), Morzine (Pleney) or Les Gets. Technically you could also go to Chery Nord, but I don't think that gains you much. Not that Mont Chery is not a lovely hill.

I have never skied Grande Turche but I hear that if you are very, very, lucky then the off piste is OK and quiet. (I've never skied it despite >90 weeks in Morzine as no real reason to (other than curiousity)). 35kms is not much, but hey, just how much do you need?

Seytroux is lovely, but it's tiny.

St Jd'Aulps marginally bigger. But not by much. Neither are "resorts", just small (tiny?) alpine villages.

They're lower than Morzine and don't always have snow cover in the village.

Not by any means bad ideas, just worth knowing what you're getting into.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, Thx for this... I was thinking more of staying in Seytroux than SJD tbh... seen a couple of nice looking places... however 20-25 mins is quite a drive in the morning though... more than I am sure I am willing (or bothered) to do...

Thx for the info tho guys...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlpineAddict, I would agree with under a new name, 10 mins to get to Montriond and then another 10 mins up the road pass the lake to Ardent! But you will get more space for your €! Not as lively as the main areas though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineAddict, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely part of the world, friends live there and love it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, Do you happen to know, from your friends, if there is any kind of bars / restaurants in the village (Seytroux)... and by bars, I don't mean your typical french hotel bar... kind of looking for something that my have some atmosphere about it. I know there is quite a good bar (or so I have heard) in SJD...

I am not looking for crazy nightlife by any stretch of the imagination but it is always nice to stretch your legs after and have a couple of drinks in a nice bar Very Happy

Thx again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AlpineAddict, I know naathing about Seytroux, but I think the bar you mean in St Jean is the National? It's OK, locals and holidaymakers go there, bar stools and high round tables, not plush in any way, but good atmosphere and on the main road (well, the only road really Very Happy )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AlpineAddict, I can ask, I don't think so, t(here are only 370 inhabitants...) it's almost too small to have its own name...

THere's the Bar Nationale in SJD plus a couple of restaurants (one is quite good, l'Amandolier)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy