Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for resort with great pedestrian access

Poster: A snowHead
Last season we went to Alpe d'Huez - Vaujany actually - and found that access for non-skiers was exceptional. From Vaujany we could get up to Montfrais, up to Alpette and down to Oz and even across to AdH proper - all using only gondolas and cable cars with an occasional ten minute walk. No chairlifts required.

I'm trying to find another place with similarly easy ways of getting around, but am drawing a blank. I think I might have inadvertently gone to literally the best resort in the Alps for this sort of thing. Note that pedestrian-friendly chairlifts are not suitable since whenever we're out and about not on skis, we'll have a toddler with us.

I'm not terribly fussed about altitude, happy to take him up above 2000m. Probably draw the line at about 3000 though, but even then It'd be alright if it was just up and straight back down again.

So can anyone recommend anywhere that offers similarly extensive pedestrian mountain access for a non skiing individual who is unable/unwilling to ride a chairlift?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wengen, actually whole of Jungfrau Region is exceptionally good for this sort of thing, almost every Restaurant in the area can be reached by cablecar, gondola or train which is great for allowing skiiers and non skiers to meet up on the slopes during the day, theres even (I believe) a winter walking pass at a reduced rate compared to the ski pass for non skiers and if tne non skiers are up for it several long tobogan runs
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf wrote:
theres even (I believe) a winter walking pass at a reduced rate compared to the ski pass for non skiers

Yup there is, but they have redesigned the web site and now I can't find the link for it.
I think it allowed all trains, gondolas and cablecars.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What D G Orf said, the Jungfrau Region is brilliant for non-skiers, especially when it comes to meeting up with the skiers on the mountain in the middle of the day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Technique, may I ask, is the requirement for ease of movement to enable the non-skier to meet up with the skier(s) at lunchtime, for example? Or is it purely so that you and the family can literally get up into the mountains with relative ease and avoid too much hassle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamonix
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't be sure, but Megeve might be good - someone who knows the resort better than I could confirm or not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamonix is very handy (for the skiers) if the non-skier has a car in which he can pick the skiers up from the bottom of one area, to take them - via lunch - to another area. Very nice. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Hmmmm possibly.. It's all well connected on the Megeve side certainly and over to the top of St Gervais. .....A fair walk from the top of the Mont d'arbois over to the top of the Bettex gondola. Impossibly beautiful though!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Anton is pretty well set up with Gondolas going up to all the main three ski areas with Galzig and Rendl especially having quite extensive facilites when you get there
I seem to recall that L2A has gondola/train access all the way up the the glacier.
Innsbruck with the lift at the in town shopping center
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zermatt has gondolas, cablecars, a funicular and a mountain railway, so good pedestrian access to many points, including the 3800m Klein Matterhorn (definitely leaves you a bit dizzy if you try and do anything quickly, so this one would be no good for the littl'un). And plenty of interest in the village too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I seem to recall that L2A has gondola/train access all the way up the the glacier.

Yes you can get to les Cretes at 2100m with a restaurant and view of "easy" runs, Toura at 2600m with a couple of restaurants and views of a few runs and the park, bottom of the glacier at 3200m with a restaurant and views of the glacier runs and finally top of the glacier at 3600m with fantastic views an ice grotto and piste basher rides around the glacier going as far as the the top of La Grave. There is also a gondola going down from LDA to Venosc which I'm told is a lovely little artsy place.

The walking pass at LDA is also very good value too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My 80-odd year old (and not particularly maneuvrebale) grandma had no problems getting up lifts to join us for lunch each day on the mountain on Ischgl*, and I really doubt you'd have an issue with Mum/Dad carrying todler.

*That did involve the odd chair, but I honestly don't think it would be an issue. St Anton could be another option, with the Galzigbahn and Rendlbahn gondolas taking you to fairly central and pretty 'amenitised' areas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Kappl this year, there were several folk walking down to the village each day from the gondola, via the toboggan run. The gondola station mid mountain has a huge nursery and play area for kids, along with a couple of restaurants. The gondola goes from valley floor and the village is slightly above - Hotel Auhof looked a really good hotel and is right beside the base station. http://www.kappl.com/en-skiing-holiday-paznaun.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Technique,
When we had a toddler and grandma came along the best resort we found was Davos. There is a train along the valley floor or busses that you can take which the children loved and connect up with the botttom of each individual ski area. All of the ski areas have gondola/funicular /cablecar for access. Also quite a few 'winter sport' activities at the bottom that the non skiers can watch such as x country sledging sleigh rides etc.
Great skiing as well.
snow report
Zermatt I've been to, and it's not quite what I'm after (although I would sell my own buttocks to medical science for the chance of going again). You can get up to a lot of different places, but you can't get around once you're up there. It's back down to the village, across, and back up again.

Chasseur it's just so that whoever is saddled with the sprog can mooch about a bit.

Jungfrau region might be highish on the list simply due to scenery and having never been before. Chamonix looks a bit spread out and disjointed...
latest report
in 3V you can get from Meribel or Mottaret to Courchevel (and vice-versa obv) all in bubbles and cables
ski holidays
We're already going to Meribel. This is fishing for a resort for our as-yet-theoretical second trip Smile
ski holidays
Mr Technique, Courchevel then....
snow report
Haha, no.

On a related note: I posted this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58409 ages ago, and more or less concluded that taking an under-3 on a chair was a stupid idea.

However, yesterday I was reading this: http://www.laplagnet.com/activities/la-plagne-for-the-non-skier.htm which indicates not only that a number of its chairlifts are suitable for babies, but also for DOGS.

Has anyone taken a squirming fidgeting baby onto a chairlift, and how did you find it? And how the bloody hell do you get a dog on one?!
snow report
Mr Technique, bobinch seems to be taking his baby all over the swiss alps this summer might be worth contacting him. Mind you they seem to walk up half the time Smile
latest report
Quote:

Has anyone taken a squirming fidgeting baby onto a chairlift, and how did you find it? And how the bloody hell do you get a dog on one?!

One fo the lifties at Nordkette regularly takes his (huge!) husky up the chairlift with him. It's one of the old school rickety two man chairs with fairly insubstantial safety bars, but the dog sits there good as gold. Loves playing outside the control hut when it's ten below and puking down too lol.
snow report
Mr Technique, another vote for Wengen. We took toddler and non skiing grandparents and found it was absolutely ideal for meeting up on the mountain. They all loved the trains and we even took the lil un up to glacier "Top of Europe" - wallet stinging - visitor centre and (luckily) he had no problem with the altitude. The grandparents also got the winter walking pass and found the number and variety of winter paths were very good though at some points tricky due to the quantity of snow!

We also went over to Murren and the non skiers came too up to the revolving restaurant and loved it. I think I'd have to say its the best resort we've been to for child / non skier friendliness in terms of getting about and the scenery is stunning.

I have been wondering about the toddler on chairlift thing too, haven't done it yet but am tempted, the missus would frown though ...
latest report
Quote:

I have been wondering about the toddler on chairlift thing too, haven't done it yet but am tempted, the missus would frown though ...

We see loads of toddlers on chairlifts here (there are no gondolas so not much choice if you want to take 'em up). I confess I'd be nervous but it's clearly not a big issue at all in many places. I'd suggest that a toddler in charge of a strong and capable parent (definitely a job for Dad!) on a well maintained chairlift is in less danger than they are being driven down a busy autoroute at 130 kph.
snow report
Mr Technique wrote:
Chasseur it's just so that whoever is saddled with the sprog can mooch about a bit.

What about somewhere like Serre Chevalier? If based in Briancon - the old town is lovely for mooching about in. The bubble goes up to a mid station where there is a restaurant, so good for meeting up. Briancon probably won't provide a weeks worth or entertainment, so a short bus ride (regular service up and down valley and free, certainly for those with a ski pass) to Chantemerle. Quite pretty, especially the old town. And a telepherique up to Serre Ratier where there are plenty of restaurants for lunchtime meets.

I've taken large family holidays there with toddlers in tow and it genuinely seemed easy getting around from an access POV.
snow conditions
Chasseur, visitors without a ski pass can get a 'Carte d'Hote' which will also give them free bus access.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, thanks Smile
snow conditions
Mr Technique, certain chair lifts (from about 2007 I think) out of Courchevel and La Tania had firkin big magnets on the back of the chair, you put a lightweight metal jacket (I assume it's light) onto your young offspring and they can wriggle all they like Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've heard about this magnet business... I like the sound of dressing Technique Jr in a full suit of medieval armour...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy