Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one for the boot-knowledgeable

Poster: A snowHead
I was told by a shop that there is no such thing as a genuine less than size 23.5 in an adult boot, except possibly Lange. The guy said the smaller sizes have some sort of false thing in the toe that makes them feel smaller lengthways but they are actually exactly the same shell as the 23.5. Is that right, or am i being told a porky?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Porky, they all pretty much exist in 22. Although they are dropping slowly out of production. It is however true in some models, generalisations are full of falsehood in these parts me lady.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have two pairs of boots in a genuine size 22 - Head Dream and also Salomon Idol 8 - so they do definitely exist! I've also hired proper size 22 Salomons (various models) in resort as well.

I have also tried some other makes on in the past (Rossignnol, and also a different Salomon model) that are in fact a 23 with a plastic bung in the toe box and there is quite a difference between the two (naughty ski boot companies)!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
curry-queen wrote:
I have two pairs of boots in a genuine size 22 - Head Dream and also Salomon Idol 8 - so they do definitely exist! I've also hired proper size 22 Salomons (various models) in resort as well.

I have also tried some other makes on in the past (Rossignnol, and also a different Salomon model) that are in fact a 23 with a plastic bung in the toe box and there is quite a difference between the two (naughty ski boot companies)!

yeah, naughty - hadnt occurred to me there might be cheats like that. It must change the feel of the boot cos your weight will be further back in the boot relative to the mounting that its designed for.

Can you just feel it if you put your hand in the shell or can you not necessary tell if its a true size or not? I dont suppose they own up to it on the boot blurb. Now im wondering if the guy knows what he is talking about which is a bit worrying as he is sorting out boots i took back afetr one of his colleagues fitted me with boots that are too big which now packed down feel like wellies - I ll be watching them (listening with suspicion) when they are fiddling with my boots then - what a shame you can trust some of the people that are supposed to be giving you advice - thank goodness for snowHead yeehaa!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's really easy to tell the difference - simply line the boot up alongside a size 23 of the same boot (or place them sole to sole) and they will be exactly the same!!!! A true 22 will be about a centimetre shorter.

If you take the inner boot out and stuff your hand into the toe box, you can feel whether there is a plastic block or not. And, yes, they do feel totally different because if it is a 22 with a toe block, then the width will be the same as a 23 and you'll feel that it's too wide.

It's funny though, because Salomon seem to differ in their different models because my Idols are a true 22 but last year I tried on some new Salomons (but a different model) and they had the toe block. I reckon they are doing it to save money because in the UK they probably don't sell too many 22s. I bet the resort shops carry more of them due to demand.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and until this season tecnica made a 90 flex race boot (for ladies and juniors) in a true size 21.5

curry-queen, not sure about resort shops having more demand for small sizes, we sell loads of 22s basically because most stuff is over sized and very few places carry them

salomon offer the idol and the instinct lange have the RX and RS models and some others head only make dream in a true 22 rossi offer similar to lange, atomic make them in the live fit and the medusa and hawx ranges but not M tech or B tech
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK heres another curious thing the boot guy couldnt explain, or at least sounded like waffle, but who am i to judge. I have Garmont She-Ride for touring also ina 23.5 (same size as my Rossi SM8s ) and i can fit about another half finger width (may 5mm) more behind my heel in the shell. So can i safely assume that the Garmont 23.5 is a 23.5 shell and the Rossi 23.5 is actually a 24 shell with thicker (though not now it is packed down) liner cos the inside of the shell is definitely different lengths. If thats the case then they are fiddling with a shell that is just plain too big - does that sound right, or have i got my self in a techie-mess over all this and i should just let them get on with the fiddling?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a true 23.5 would be internally 25cm, allowing 23.5cm for the foot and 15mm shell check, boot makers make them all a bit longer as they know that a 15mm shell check although great in terms of fit and performance (and comfort when it is fitted) feels too small at first

every boot maker adds a bit some more than others which is the very reason we shell check every boot on the foot, if all 23.5 boots were the same then it wouldn't be an issue
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it also is the reason that if your foot measures 23.5 there is a good chance in some boots that a 22.5 will fit you better...... but that is why we shell check!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Just out of idle interest how do you check the shell? I'm sure if I was to put my foot in the shell, and allowing for the fact that the heel must flow outwards too that there would hardly be enough space to clearly see the gap if you peered into the back of it behind the heel. Is this what you try to do? Also, have you ever used calipers to conduct a survey of internal boot lengths vs. what they claim to be?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
liners out, foot in empty shell, toes brushing front and flex forward....use a torch to see down the back of the boot (some shells are light colour or clear and easy to see in, dark ones are harder to check) 10-20mm is the ideal, 5mm is doable if the foot fits the profile of the foot very well and you want loads of work and 25mm is kind of acceptable if you already have the boot and only ski a week or so a year...... if you have 25mm and drop down a size you get 15mm which should be just lovely with a footbed and some fitting work

yes we often measure the internal size of boots to compare them, tend to just use a steel tape as getting any form of caliper in the shell and out again whilst keeping he reading is very difficult
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, Very Happy just on the sound of it 5mm minus liner sounds fairly tight, I would have thought most liners were way thicker than 5mm front and back thickness until they had packed quite considerably. However, I guess if you have someone that wants the perfomance fit, (that lots here go on about) that is when you start an interesting job.

Interesting, thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, 5mm is extreme, it is a true race fit (tighter than most race fits) and requires lots of stretching and grinding of the shell it is as i said possible (not ideal for most but possible), the vast majority whinge about 15-20mm at first but fitting a boot properly involves a bity of work, instant nirvana is only available to a lucky few
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
Megamum, instant nirvana is only available to a lucky few

Or if the boots are fitted too big there is a placebo effect until about 3 weeks of skiing like you are on the toilet and you can't work out why! Smile

Come on, is anyone goign to name and shame the ... well Liar, that says 22 doesn't exist! They deserve it for their lies... Neh Neh
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jimmythefoot wrote:

Come on, is anyone goign to name and shame the ... well Liar, that says 22 doesn't exist! They deserve it for their lies... Neh Neh

im still in negotations about what they are going to do about the now-sloppy boots, so im worried if i name and shame and wee wee them off too much they wont help fix the problem - just wanted to be sure of my ground while they try and source some low-compression foam for extra padding. At least i now know they cannot fob me off with saying i couldnt get true smaller boots if all their faffing with more foam doesnt fix the problem, so thanks snowHead , knowledge is power Confused
ski holidays
bitoffluff, great a shop who...

A) doesn't know what boots are out there

and

B) doesn't have any boot fitting foam in their workshop

good luck
snow conditions
bitoffluff, Oh now I am just guessing!

Please let us know when they have done all that they can..... I h ave a spare pillow if you like Smile

If they had a decent boot guarantee they would be exchanging those bad boys for a new pair of 22's!

That's the first thing I would do if myself or any staff made an error like that, I know most of the decent boot fitters would do the same!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy