Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens to Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
How easy is skiing between the resorts? I did it about 10 years ago but cant remember much about it. How long does it take? Is it likely to be all open at Easter? Is there anywhere i can download the best route to take so i can mark it on the Piste Map.

Was hoping to do it with my 10 year old son and 9 year old nephew so want to be sure i know the way before i set off.

Any help appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi garethjomo, the quickest I've done VT to Courchevel 1650 is about 1hr 15mins but I wasnt hanging around and there were no queues.

There are plenty of different routes but the most direct ones include some red runs down towards Mont Vallon from VT. Have a look at the three vallees site for route planning

http://www.les3vallees.com/en/accueil.1.l2/

Seems like it's not working correctly at the moment though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo, It's been open the last two Easters if that helps. One tip, the blue from the bottom of the Mont Vallon lift to Mottaret is a bit flat in places (ours) , so take the Plain des Mains chair up to ski down to Mottaret under the Plattieres lifts, then Pas du Lac 1 and 2 lifts to ski down to Courchevel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
from what i remember Meribel closes easter weekend this year as easter is pretty late..... so not sure what will remain open to get across but easy enough to do including a few reds setting off at a sensible time you can be there comfortably for an early coffee before getting the hell out for lunch on a cheaper area of the mountain Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger C is about right - just watch the temperature at Easter as it can be warm and slushy as you bounce through the resorts lower down to get back.

Best route is Plein Sud chair out of VT and then the big Bouguetin ride up and then take Lac de La Chambre (lovely red) down to the Plan des Mains lift (dont go down the horrible Piste Ours!). You can then ski down into Mottaret.

Get the Pas du Lac 1 and 2 up and then you're into Courchevel - I'd take Creux down.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember that in 2011, Easter is almost as late as it can possibly get - April 24th.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

How to calculate Easter!!!
http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/etc/ktf/app/easter.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll actually be doing it before easter. Off out to VT on the 16th April
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
garethjomo,

Should be great snow then.

We were skiing powder in Val Thorens on 2nd May this year! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said Meribel will be the potential problem here - being a bit of a crossroads for the 3 valleys it can get fairly slushy at the best of times in the bottlenecks, and mid to late April may be a problem at this point.

Other than that, the route is pretty straightforward (avoiding the 'Ours' piste as others have said) and 2 hours should be OK with your kids assuming that they're decent enough skiers for their age.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitters, Meribel can get quite slushy, but only right down by the base stations, and only really in Meribel (1450), it's rarely a problem at Mottaret (1750), which is where the fasted route from ValT to Courchevel goes. I agree it can get quite choppy in the last 100m of martre and aigle, but that's only a tiny fraction of the route, 99% of it should be fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
garethjomo, What standard are the boys? If they're comfortable on reds, should be no problem. Go over the mont de la chambre and chose between the lac de la chambre or venturon down to the base of Mont Vallon. There are a few bits where IIRC you need to pick up speed - particularly with lightweight youngsters - so keep a look out for that. If you have the time do a diversion up Mont Vallon and down the Combe Vallon - one of the best cruisy reds there is. go over to Courchevel from Mottaret via pas du lac - but note that the last half mile into Mottaret can be very icy/ skied off. There's quite a few points where lots of routes cross and it can be easy to lose group members if you don't all know where you're going. On the way back, the return down into VT is via a black which is easy most of the time but can be a bit nasty if icy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DCG, At that time of year I think lots of slush is more likely than ice!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DCG, you can take Pluviometre ( very nice blue) to avoid the black (goitechel). Brings you out by the club Med from where you can head down to the magic carpet or plein sud if you're based in town or above.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG, The boys are very good skiers so any slope shouldnt be a problem. One is not as fast as the other though so dont want to get stuck in the wrong resort after lifts close!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Getting stuck in the wrong one of the 3 valleys can get very expensive.
Getting out of Courchevel, once you're on top of the Saulire you've done it: u can ski down to Meribel or Mottaret .
Getting out of the Meribel Valley towards VT, the 3rd stage of the Plattieres bubble (out of Mottaret) will get you to the top where a ski down to Les Menuires will leave you with a [relatively] inexpensive taxi ride up to VT. The Tougnete (1 and 2) out of Meribel will deliver the same result.

To ski to VT itself, you need the Cotes Brune chairlift, accessible from the top of the 2nd or 3rd stages of the Plattieres bubble.

VT to Courchevel and back is a cinch in a day with all but the slowest beginner/intermediates.

VT (2300m) ->chair-> short bubble
Long red -> shortish chair -> Long blue Mottaret
Long (2stage) bubble -> Long red -> Blue/Green Courchevel 1850 (1800m)
~2hrs if you keep moving but in no big hurry.

Courchevel 1850 Longish bubble -> bubble or cable car -> Steep red -> blue Mottaret
Very Long Bubble (get off stage 2) -> very short connection -> Longish Chair -> Black or Blue into VT

You may notice that on the way there, the proportion of skiing to lifts is higher. Obviously this is because Courchevel is 500m lower than VT. At least it means there's more resting on the way home for anyone who's tired Wink
snow report
I was worried about this when i went to the 3v last year for the first time, because i was keen to do as much mileage as possible. We did VT to Courcheval most days, usually stopping for lots of rum breaks and long fatty boom boom lunches, and never once came close to missing the links back to VT. You'd need to be really really slow to have any problems. From what you describe i'd say you'll be fine.

On your first mission, why don't you just set out with the lads pretty early so as to be sure you have lots of time to spare? You'll probably end up being back in VT for lunch.
snow report
monkey, agree, it's easier than most people think as long as you're all confident red runners. A few years ago we did ValT to 1850 and back most days and, same as you, had bags of time to spare. Last year I did it the other way with two nervous blue runners, got to ValT for lunch and turned straight back, but were still back in 1850 by 3.30 easily.
latest report
garethjomo, it is an easy enough trip (4 lifts from Val T to Courchevel and 4 back to VT) to do with kids who can ski but you do need to watch the weather forecast though! If the wind picks up the high links and normal cross over routes can be closed. It is worth remembering that some of the chairs lower down the valleys like the Loze out of the Meribel valley and the Saint Martin 2 will keep running unless things are really bad weather wise.

If it is really busy you might get better skiing if you look at a different route from the main direct one described above (VT-Mottaret-Courchevel-Mottaret-VT). With crowds and lower level skiers I have found a variant going from Courchevel-Col de la Loze-Meribel-top of Saint Martin-Les Menuires-VT and back a bit easier as you can avoid some of the busy steep reds but the blue/green roadways could become a bit tiresome with younger skiers who struggle to keep their speed up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy