Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz chalet or hotel

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all, any help appreciated. After searching the web via the usual sites I can not find any hotels or chalets in Avoriaz . Thousands in Morzine but not Avoriaz , any infoatoon or pointers in the right direction much appreciated . Regards boo
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it is all mainly apartments i think. If you want chalets/hotels then they are mainly located in morzine like you said.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boo907, There are a few chalets on the plateau and a few hotels (at least one is well regarded) - but mostly apartments. Try Snowboard asylum if they still exist.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Ricklovesthepowder says, it is all apartments as far as I'm aware, it certainly gives that impression when skiing through it.

Morzine is a much nicer place to stay anyway, but without the ski in/out convenience for 95% of the accommodation that you get at Avoriaz.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There definitely are chalets as I used to run two of them...whether they're still operated as such is a different question...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Total have 4 chalets there, Club Med have a hotel. Probably a few more but it does look like there is mostly apartments. If you want a chalet with no flights there is one on here http://www.catered-ski-chalets.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boo907, Contact http://www.avoriaz-holidays.com/en/index.html Ask for Valentina, she is very helpful, not sure if it is just self catred but it is worth contacting them. There are two hotels that are good. One very good, run by a French version of Gary Rhodes!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.igluski.com/avoriaz/chalet-perce-neige_p18908

http://www.igluski.com/avoriaz/chalet-marie_p27521?holidayid=27058329

http://www.igluski.com/avoriaz/chalet-violetta_p19033?holidayid=27148247

http://www.igluski.com/avoriaz/chalet-les-lauzes_p27520?holidayid=27063765

Note I have no experience of any of these chalets, but internet reviews seemed reasonable. I've also found Iglu to be very good over the last couple of years.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is only one true hotel IN Avoriaz: Hotel des Dromonts.

There is Hotel La Falaise, but it was simply an apartment block adjacent to a restaurant (now converted to a 'football' bar for lager louts). You may end up in it if you opt for Balcons du Soleil with a catering option. I think the building is Datcha or Douchka or sommat like that. I have actually stayed in it when it was more in 'hotel' format, but even then, the connecting bridge from accommodation via reception to restaurant had been closed (you had to go outside and then back in again). 'Hotel Falaise' is now just a sign above a doorway, an amusing curiosity.

Other hotels purporting to be in Avoriaz are actually at the foot of the Prodains cable car - which runs fairly late into the evening, but it's not 'in' Avoriaz in the usual sense of the word.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is not Datcha as that is our place! So probably Douchka!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley, I can never remember them. Could be Kouria for all I know. Douchka might be the one next to the bakery/patisserie. What would be REALLY useful is a fricking 2D map with ALL the names on it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, It's Chapka! This map helped me remember: www.snowrental.net/skiing/france/avoriaz/ski-hire-avoriaz.html

Here's another one: http://www.french-alps.net/ski-resorts/avoriaz/avoriaz-interactive.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a map on the main Avoriaz site! When you click on the accommodation menu the names drop down and highlight the property! But I know what you mean. It can be confusing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, Hmm. I couldn't find Chapka on the Avoriaz map. Why can't they just produce a huge map in PDF format with everything written on it? Why this crazy INTERACTIVE map fetish? It would be good to have something to print out, draw lines on, carry on one's person, etc. It probably has something to do with copyright...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crosbie wrote:
Other hotels purporting to be in Avoriaz are actually at the foot of the Prodains cable car - which runs fairly late into the evening, but it's not 'in' Avoriaz in the usual sense of the word.
Exclamation
You have me worried now I have booked to stay in Hotel Les Lans in Avoriaz but on closer inspection is probably in Prodains. If the location is bad my name will be mud. We don't need access to nightlife, just to the slopes, good food & drink.
Roy Hockley wrote:
There are two hotels that are good. One very good, run by a French version of Gary Rhodes!

I hope this is Hotel Les Lans Puzzled
ski holidays
Lechbob, Hotel Les Lans is in Prodains, NOT in Avoriaz.

You do have good access to slopes (no ski-out tho), and no doubt the hotel does good food - or other hotels nearby do. I dunno how many hotels have bars. At least three I'd guess. But, it's just a few chalets (private) and hotels around a cable car station at the end of a valley. On the nightlife scale of '0:Graveyard' to '100:Mardi Gras', it gets up to about '1:Dead'.

It's a good position for the bus to Morzine too.

Check out the time of the last cable car down - in case you are tempted to do any apres-ski in Avoriaz before dinner. You can also see when they close the piste down - though I guess some might risk it in the dark (naughty peeps).

If you were expecting to be IN Avoriaz, I'd check the cancellation policy - it might be 10% or less. Then again, maybe you need a hotel. Half-board options are available at P&V apartments. And then there's always Club Med.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-10-10 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Lechbob, Alas no. The one I was referring to was "Hotel des Dromonts"! Sorry!

Just looked at their website and tripadvisor reports. You should have a good holiday, though the decor looks a tad jaded! Looks very convenient for the Prodains lift.
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Lechbob, Hotel Les Lans is in Prodains, NOT in Avoriaz.

Roy Hockley wrote:
Lechbob, Alas no. The one I was referring to was "Hotel des Dromonts"! Sorry!

Thanks , double bad news!
I did not do my homework and booked it hastily after struggling to agree to where & when but I will get the flak if it is bad. I arn't going to attempt to cancel, I'll bluff it out. It was cheap enough to justify a good lunch if the HB dinner is not great. Just got to hope for good snow in early Jan.
ski holidays
Lechbob, I once tried booking a hotel in Prodains, and found they seem to get snapped up pretty quick. So, I guess they are popular for those who know what they like, e.g. the area and a decent hotel with cable car, chairlifts, and bus on the doorstep, with ski-in at the end of the day.

The run down to Prodains is pretty good. A lovely finish (even when slushy at the end of season). There are a couple of lunch stops half-way down too.

I wonder what time the last bus from Morzine is? That's bigger on the nightlife than Avoriaz.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy