Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot settings, hard or soft?

Poster: A snowHead
If I don't ask I'll never know, so here goes. I have a pair of Rossignol B12 Bandit boots. On the back of the boots are 2 settings, hard & soft. Currently they're set to soft. What's the difference?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
when you flip the adjustment to hard there is a little block which fills a slot in the back of the boot, this makes them stiffer which can increase responsiveness, as to the correct setting for you, without your height, weight and a really good idea of how you ski it is impossible to say what is right for you...best thing to do is to take a 3mm allen key with you next time you go skiing and try the 2 different positions (in most cases it is a personal preference, there is no right or wrong, one may just work better for YOU)

welocme to snowHead BTW
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much I'll have a play around with it next time out. And thanks for the welcome, been a member for a while, just lurked about Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stu76, Yup - welcome to the gang.

I used to have some Rossi boots with a walk mode... the amount of times I set off skiing in walk and wondered why my turns took so long to initiate Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome stu76

You learn something on here every day. I thought they were for skiers who could turn one way better than the other. Go hard on the good one and soft on the weaker one, voila problem sorted Madeye-Smiley

Of course you have to careful who you believe wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very much like drugs, some days you want something a little harder...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i'm like Stu, i've often wondered what the things on the back are and while checking out my boots just a minute ago because i thought this might just be the reason my left boot always feels looser than the right which has been annoying me recently, i spotted 2 more adjusters, on the side of each boot i have a "canting" adjuster, the left one on the outside was partialy turned so fingers crossed that is why the left felt "looser".

The canting adjusters seem to move the leg of the boot into a more forward angle, can anyone give me more details of what this is for. I also have "spoiler adj" this is on the back of the boot up near the top, there doesn't seem to be any settings on this one, just a plain allen key adjuster, any ideas? BTW they are head edge 10x boots if that helps?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
phindme, the canting adjustment (which is not true canting but boot makers call it that as everyone knows the term) adjusts the boot side to side, it accommodates slight variations in the curvature of the lower leg...... the way to set it is to stand on your footbeds in the empty shells feet hip width apart and flex slightly, have someone look at where your leg sits in the shell and adjust the settings to get the leg as close to centered as possible..... this adjustment isn't designed to correct anything, more to get the boot set up to accommodate your leg

BTW this is a basic adjustment which EVERY shop which sells boots should at least check when you buy boots, but hey we will do their jobs for them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Cem

i bought the boots from EB in castlefield and they were very good the guy spent ages going through shells and all sort, then with inners and so on, so maybe he set the canting but i can't remember him saying anything. Also i'm wondering if the left outer one has been moved somehow because it seems weird that the other 3 are set the same and this one isn't.

I'm going to pop over to CFe and give them a few runs and see how it feels with the odd one out set the same.

On another note or maybe it is related, i often feel like the left boot needs to be tightened way more than the right, it can feel majorly loose and i often find myself every 5 runs or so tweaking it, any ideas?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the head edge is a very high volume boot, could be many things, liner packed down, boot too big one foot bigger than other, is your left leg your stronger leg, ie is your turn to the right better, may be you have crushed all the padding down more on hat side

difficult to tell without seeing them
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You guys think you got problems trying to work out the stuff on your boots, mine have adjustable springs for forward lean and flex, they are getting on abit now and they tend to loosen during the day, super stiff in the morning and soft by the end of the day rolling eyes

I promise you that when I take my old boots to CEM he will fall around laughing for a week, I will try and do it when no one needs his attention wink Embarassed

I really MUST get some new ones Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll take them into EB and ask, i was thinking of doing that now we are in october and they start to gear up for the season. I know my left foot is smaller than my right but it's impossible to see it's such a small difference, my right leg is stronger so i often wondered if my left calf is thinner and that is why the leg section might be gripping less giving me a bit of heal lift, sounds like it could be one of many things so until i can do some kind of virtual reality sharing of the boots for you to see, EB is my best bet Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
livetoski, Waiting for your order on the boots!

I am sure CEM will fit them for a respectable fee!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jimmythefoot, I am still trying to make up my mind I need to go see CEM, and get his advice as well Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
phindme, Might be worth popping 10mins up the road when your next at Cfe and going to see Graham at Rivinton Alpine (give him a call first) and getting him to have a look at the fit of your boots. I had loads of problems with my S&R fitted boots and following CEM's advice did a shell check and realised that they were simply way too big despite the 'faux' fitting that happened at S&R who wher more worried about where the boot was 'rubbing' (if its rubbing its probably too big)

I was reccomended Graham and have to say my new boots are in a different league. (shame my skiing is not there yet)
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, thanks for the tip, i'll google them and try to take a trip up to the shop even if it is just to take a look around because i've got so much i need to do tomorrow i might not get a chance to get a CFe trip.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 8-10-10 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I had some boots with walk mode once - I couldn't tell the difference.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy