Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GAP Course-Val D'isere, Courchevel or Vail

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may have read my thread saying that i was going to Meribel for the season next winter....
HOWEVER....BASI were nice enough to send me a letter yesterday informing me that it is infact self-catered and not catered as they stated at first (a misprint apparently.) This would obviously mean i would need to raise around another £2000 on top of the £6000 that the course already costs-so, it has become a bit unfeasable....

So, i now have the choice of a different course, either in Val D'isere, Courchevel or Vail. There are other resorts, but i felt these were the biggest and best for skiing as well as nightlife and the others (such as Pila, Haute Nandez etc.) would get a bit boring after a while.

So basically, i am just looking for any feedback on any of these resorts-i have been to Val D'isere before and enjoyed it alot and my brother also did the same course there 2 seasons ago so i kind of know what to expect there-it would probably be my 1st choice.

However, i have not been to Courchevel, and have never skied in America full stop. What are either of these resorts like? I have always fancied skiing in America, but i'm not sure either the skiing or nightlife would be any better (or even as good) as the other two.

Any feedback is much appreciated snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to say that if my liver could stick the pace that Val d'Isere was the place for me.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris_5000, if you're in your pre uni gap year then your too young to drink in America - which is social suicide! Stick with Val, Courchevel is great but EXPENSIVE!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val is great and full of Brits and expensive, Couchevel is Great and full of Brits and swanky Parisiennes and expensive. Because Courch is part of the 3 valleys (adjacent to Meribel) it has access to rather larger ammount of terrain but the combination of Val and Tignes is really more than enough to keep you happy for a season. Skiing in USA is Fab (I'm currently in squaw) and although you can never be certain about these things probably you will get better snow in Vail and I again think the ammount of accessible terrain there would be plenty especially with nearby Beaver, BUT as others have pointed out you will not be served booze out on the razz. If it's any help Base Camp ( www.basecampgroup.com ) run BASI gap courses and I'm pretty sure all their courses are fully caterered (they run in Val and Meribel as well as others) and Natives have a full list of gap year course providers additionally to BASI themselves( http://www.natives.co.uk/instructor/index.htm ) and I think New Generation ski school in Courchevel are starting to run courses.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers snoflake....
Is there any difference between the courses actually provided by BASI and the ones on the basecampgroup website (in terms of qualifications etc.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
re: Courchevel, wot snoflake said. Everything already said about Meribel applies to the rest of the 3V (although for Courchevel subtract a bit of the Britishness & add a bit more Russian. And unless you rent out a top notch chalet, living in Courch needn't be any more expensive than Meribel Nadenoodlee!!!!).

Chris_5000 Good luck finding a good course.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snoflake wrote:
you will get better snow in Vail and I again think the ammount of accessible terrain there would be plenty especially with nearby Beaver

My experience is that the beaver in Val d'Isere is much more accessible and less expensive than elsewhere; esp Courch. YMMV.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, wink Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris_5000, Don't stress ! If you are short of money, then the smaller resorts will be fine. You don't need lot's of piste for a season, 'coz that isn't where the fun is..... Toofy Grin

Don't know about night life, but if you're doing a season to ski, then sort that first, being poor in a rich resort is no fun at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof,
You certainly do get a lot of beaver in Dicks sometimes it leads to the reciprocal. NehNeh

Chris 5000
If they are offering a BASI qual then there is no difference in the qualifications, overseas (Whistler, NZ etc) some offer different bodies' qualifications such as CASI in Canada. Your call there. As far as BASI course quality I've never met anyone who's been on one but as a BASI member I'm sure they'll know best how to get you through their own quals however you may find that some of the other providers offer a more rounded course (different activities) or a longer course/season again it's a bit your call, do you just want the qual or have a fun time with the bonus of a qual or just have a fun season? As others have said none of them is the cheapest way to get the quals but they take the headache out of arrqanging coaching and also don't disregard smaller resorts, if you really are only after the qual you won't feel like going out large very many nights of the week at all. For first 2 months I was doggo most nights and only went out small on the Sat in the middle of my 2 week finals - went out a bit at the end tho'.............. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy