Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots- should I get the Fischer soma my style 90s (softer) or 100 (stiffer)?

Poster: A snowHead
Now after a year of looking Ive finally found a narrow footed boot that feels pretty comfortable to wear whilst in the shop (Snow and Rock, Hemel). Its the ladies Fischer Soma My Style 90s (new in this season). Only thing is it feels a bit more 'flexy' than Im used to. The model up- Soma My Style 100 feels slightly less comfortable on the foot- but may pack out a bit after wearing- its a lot stiffer.

Am pretty open to the softer boot- but would want to try out skiing in a softer boot before spending £250!!

I am a tentative red run skiier & used to slalom race on dry slope when I was at school- so probably why Im used to the stiffer stuff.

Any words of wisdom or encouragment?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool, go see a bootfitter, let them decide.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's comfy in the shop, it will be a wellington boot to ski in. Do wot ^ says.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amen to the above, the fact that you have to ask on here becasue you didn't have these questions answered by a decent bootfitter means find decent bootfitter first.

I agree with Snowbunny, chances are if it feels comfy in the shop without being moulded and without an insole it is probably too big! How much space was behind your heel in the shell check?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jimmythefoot, Hark at you!! Much needed sense in these debates...................... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice- it was Snow and Rock in Hemel Ski Centre..... are you saying they arent decent?

(this is a genuine question btw)

Think I will go try them both on again and decide. Am now tempted by the stiffer Soma My Style 100's!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mildy, You are close enough to a proper boot fitters, why risk trusting the health of your feet (and a lot of money) to a shop Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thats rubbish snowbuny what your trying to imply...me and a bunch of my friends have all had cracking boot fits @ Hemel!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skierboy4, The Boot fitters in question are current members of the forum, unlike the snow and rock shop at Hemel AFAIK. I imply nothing, it's you that are choosing to read implication into my earlier post. Perhaps you are implying that CEM knows less about ski boot fitting than the shop staff at Hemel? I have seen snow and rock staff at Hemel at work in their shop, and continue to chose to spend my boot fitting money elsewhere. Horses for courses, it's nice that you and your bunch of friends think you got a cracking fitting, perhaps you could share the process with the forum?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, your squabbling's almost got me back to square one again! Crying or Very sad

NOT Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mildy, Ok, just been doing some research into these boot choices. Firstly, unless very experienced with both shells plastics and liners, i would forget the initail feel of both boots. In my experience, without a footbed and moulding the boot, then flexing it at an apropriate temperature, you are clutching at straws a bit.
Looking at the boots in question, there are points i would try and ask you to consider.
1) These boots are not low volume, narrow fitting boots, each of the models in this range, shell, is exactly the same shape, the differences you are feeling are from liners and plastic qualities.
2) Forget the flex ratings, already the differences have been displayed to you, heat and liner type have a big impact on flex. A good quality plastic will better resist fluctuations of temperature and a better quality liner will last longer and fit better. Therefore in this instance, the 100 will be a slightly better liner and better plastic type. Good for long term value for money.

Looking at the boot range you are talking about, and having worked with many ladies in the past i would, if certain this is the boot for you, push you to buy the 110 rated boot.
This will have better quality fixtures, buckles, liner and almost certainly be made with a good quality plastic. The flex ratings are a better guide to quality than to level of skier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mildy,

110kn = FFS Performance Fit Liner, Poly Ether Shell.
100kn = FFS Performance Fit Liner, Poly Ester Shell.
90/90s= Sport Fit liner, Polypropelyne Shell.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mildy, I bought the Soma My Style 90s last season and used them for four weeks - they are wonderful. I do take SMALLZOOKEEPER's point about buying the harder shell boot though.

I also find that the Soma stance is much kinder on your knees than a staright stance boot (or it could just be a placebo effect)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks sarep, SMALLZOOKEEPER, sounds interesting to know about the quality of plastic and boot liners etc & definitely anything kinder on the knees due to the v stance will be a bonus!!

I plan to go and try them on again within the next few weeks so I can purchase and wear them in a bit at Hemel........
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mildy, And there were some that fell upon stoney ground. rolling eyes
snow conditions
I am with snowbunny! We walked out of Hemel S&R when the 'fitter' didn't even bother to measure my son's feet, far less bother with a shell check. The only questions that were asked were what size his school shoes were and did the ski boots feel like the were ok. (This is a 12 year old - of course bright shiny new ski boats -intentional typo- felt ok!) Maybe we were unlucky, but the experience is not one that would fill me with confidence with regard to their bootfitting capacity especially when there are other easily accessible expert options.
ski holidays
Annie, Even with the training they are receiving, alot of re learning and mistakes need to be made before educated guessess can be made, in all that's bootfitting in essence.
snow report
Ah Smallzookeeper has his catalogue out or needs to go out more! Smile

Flex ratings are a disaster as I have seen 18 stone men put into a lower flex boot as they are not very advanced skiiers. Problem is, in something way to soft they probably never will be!!!

Buying a pair of boots is so important. I'm not saying I wouldn't use one of the larger stores, but I would say that you shoudl consider your options.

Bear in mind that most of us on here are, for whatever reason, passionate about boot fitting and I can simply tell from your original post that there is just something wrong about the boots for your feet. Call me crazy, but it just sounds liek they are going to be too big in 12 months time and wrong.

You may find they are fine, but what if they could be even better, would you ever know?
snow report
Jimmythefoot, Get out more? once would be sweet.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Jimmythefoot, Get out more? once would be sweet.

I know, perhaps you should move to the bottom of the biggest mountain in France and set up a boot shop? Smile

I will drag you out in January!
ski holidays
As an aside- can anyone suggest a non-chain type shop I can visit to try other boots on with a well trained fitter? - I live in Walthamstow, North East London
snow report
mildy wrote:
As an aside- can anyone suggest a non-chain type shop I can visit to try other boots on with a well trained fitter? - I live in Walthamstow, North East London

Depends how far you are willing to drive?

Captains Cabin - Sevenoaks - Pasq is very good and AA certified
Ski Exchange - Dry Drayton, South Cambridgeshire - Simon has fitted boots for years and is AA certified
Solutions 4 Feet - Bicester - CEM is on here lots and is one of the UK boot gurus, very qualified and pedorthist
Outdoor Traders - Abingdon - James is a masterfit qualified fitter and AA qualified.

Pretty much, they would my top four within a couple of hours of you or less.

Hope that helps, always worth calling whoever you choose first to let them know you are coming or book an appointment.
ski holidays
mildy, it may be a bit of a journey, but there's a lot of us travel many miles to visit CEM. Once visited, you'll never go anywhere else again Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy