Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Before you all groan, I know you've heard it all before but please read anyway!!
I have a company car so i'm stuck with the wheels and tyres that are on it which are 18" with no clearance for regular chains.
I've been looking at the Thule K-Summit and the Klack and Go Quattro. Can these be rented in the UK or France or does anyone know what the purchase price in France is?
Cheers,
D
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1468403
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These might work the Konig K7 7mm chain http://www.skidrive.co.uk/snow-chains/index.php or the Iceman Z6 6mm, doesn't look as easy/quick to fit seems similar to the old ladder type chain. http://europe.scc-chain.com/ available from http://www.snowchains.com/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome to snowheads.
i wish i had a company car. get some cheap snow tyres buy some chains or get a hire car.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D what exact size? Have a set unused to fit 18in wheels (215/45 and 225/40) Pewag Brenta. Let me know if any good. Do half price plus postage/collect if appropriate.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why are you stuck with the wheels and tyres, are the wheel nuts welded on??? rolling eyes
Is it a clearance problem? Does you car have a lower spec model with smaller/narrower wheels, if so go out and buy a set and put winter tyres on them and carry chains. I have two sets of wheels for my car and it is not a company car!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies.
As its a company car, I can't put different wheels/tyres on it. I've asked and it's not allowed.
The problem is with clearance between the back of the tyre and the strut. I'll measure on the weekend and see if i can get a measurement - some of the narrow chains suggested by gsb may work

ianbradders - not sure what you mean??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davegilsenan, first steps - will your company insurance cover you for trips to europe into this kind of territory?

You could point out to your company that below 7 degrees C in the UK you would be safer and more productive on winter tyres. Even BMW are starting to sell winter wheel sets in the UK this winter,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davegilsenan, Ask your company if they are happy to accept the additional risk of you having an accident because of their restrictive policy.
Or just simply buy your own car. Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave, i own a Ford Mondeo Titanium Estate ( 2009 model) i had exactly the same issue last season. Although unfortunately i own my car and have to pay for it i could do what i like with it. Looked at winter tyres and wheels and the cheapest i could get was in region of £400

In the handbook and on all the advice i could get even phoning Ford, was basically i can not use conventional chains due to clearance issues behind the wheels.

After lots of research and options i purchased a set of Thule K-Summits.

The cons are they are not cheap, i paid around £260 for mine last year( Nov 2009 ), however as it is my own car bought from new i will be keeping it at least 4 years, so i do two trips to France skiing each year, so i worked out that eight into £260 is around £32-£35 per trip, cheaper than hiring.
What can i say about the K-Summit other than they are brilliant.
When you first get them you do have to do a bit of adjusting on the chain to get them to fit your tyre, it took me about 45 mins on a saturday morning a week before we went, however once adjusted, they fit on your car in less than two minutes for both, they are that easy.
I deployed mine in anger in Val Cenis the first week in Feb 2010, when as we arrived at Termignon the snow was hammering it down, within two minutes the K's were on and i drove the rest of the way to VC at 30mph no bother.
When i parked the vehicle up, i got questions from even the locals re what was on my tyres.
I looked into the clak and go system, but you have to bolt a plate to your wheel, with about and i counted in the video around 13 extra bits, so if you got a flat tyre you would have to take it all off before you could change your tyre. I have seen places on the web you can hire the clak and go but not the Thule's. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My last company car was a Mercedes Coupe with similar chain restrictions. I rang one of the chain suppliers who advised that this is quite common and they can usually recommend a set that will not cause damage. I put some on mine and it was fine. However next problem I had was that the car was total pants in snow even with chains.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh yea this place rents out the Klack and go's, you virtually drive by them on way to EuroTunnel

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I had company cars changing every 12 months I bought a set of Spikes Spiders which are adjustable to wheel size
s and are excellent for low profile and or wheel clearance issues.
http://www.spikes-spider.ch/en
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the Klack and Go 'pro tech' for the RX8 (ok ok yes I know i never finished the hairdressing course Toofy Grin )

The RX8 has extremly limited clearance but ive not had any issues and the Pro-tech does not have the problem of the spare bit of chain that invariably comes lose and trashes your wheel arches. Fitting and removal is a 2min job but you have to accept your hands and forarms may get a bit grubby.
snow report
What about contacting the manufacturer to see what they recommend?

I know some are not so helpful, but I took my company car to my local dealer and asked what would be best and they guy gave me 4 options and was very honest!

Unfortunately, I know not all car dealers woudl be so helpful!
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot,

I phoned Ford's own technical help line to be told and i quote. " You need to buy a set of smaller wheels mate"

I think it is staffed by people who have an MD in Astro Physics.

So i researched it myself and i have 5 "O" levels including one ology, ( Biology Grade C ).

Came to the conclusion in my OP above Very Happy rolling eyes
ski holidays
Timbobaggins,

Ha ha brilliant, like I said, they might not all be so helpful!!!

I love that he called you 'mate' too, how professional. Perhaps he wants to discuss it over a pint and a packet of pork scratchings at the Dogs Head? Smile
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, agree on http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm used them a couple of times, also on the technical help from garages when driving abroad I was told that my headlights (Xenon) could only be manually adjusted by them at £40 plus lVAT so that would be £80+ per trip, found out the manufacturer sells head light covers for £40 and you put the headlight sticker on them, I know its totally off thread, hey but this is snowHead . If anyone needs head light covers for an A4 (not the current one) PM me.
snow conditions
Jimmythefoot,

I kid ye all not, that was the response i got, mind you it must have been the genuine Ford help line beacause as well as calling me mate he had a genuine " Gor Blimey Guvnor your a real toff, apples and pears, strike a light, boiled beef and carrots" cheaky chirpy cockney accent, straight from Dagenham Laughing
ski holidays
I have found Carpoint chains cheap and easy to fit, try this link for dealers:
http://www.euraxltd.co.uk/onlinedealers.php If anyone wants a pair to fit a Rover 600/Honda Accord, mine are going cheap as they don't fit my Mondeo.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy