Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort in France - probably asked a million times!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Everyone,

Any recommendations on the best resorts and chalets in France for a mixed bag of skiers?

We range from 20-35 years, there's 15 of us and ability ranges from almost pro-like experienced and seasoned skiers to absolute novice beginners. In terms of places we've been, Le Duex Alpes, Courchevel and Tignes have all been visited by at least one member of the group.

We're not overly hung up on price - Anything £600-£800 for the week (inc flights, chalet, transfers, passes and ski-hire). We're looking at late January or early February for date and want a resort that has nice chalets (exclusive for us), ski in/ski out, decent night life and restaurants and enough varied skiing to suit all abilities.

Any tips on chalets/resorts/places to book would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,

NB
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm wondering if you might want to push your price up a bit if that includes passes, ski hire, nice chalet and ski in ski out, but others will know better than me...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was thinking the same
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

nice chalet and ski in ski out

Where did he mention that? Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, why is that funny?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, the bottom of your price range puts you firmly in the "budget" class given that your other requirements demand one of the bigger and better known resorts. Somewhere like the 3 Valleys lift pass and ski hire will set you back around £300 (for those who require the whole area and decent standard skis). A chalet with a good independent operator (e.g. Ski Olympic) would probably be around £600 for the week so not too far above the top of your estimate. One way to reduce the price a bit would be to go earlier in January.

The Chalet Sureau (Le Ski, Courchevel 1650, http://www.leski.com/index/info/LE_SUREAU_%2816%29/177) is the right size for your group. I've not stayed there but we were impressed with their chalet Rikiki, in the same resort. We booked that last minute and got a big reduction - they're not one of the budget operators. The Sureau is not ski in/out but it's very close, and 1650 is an excellent base - often less crowded than the rest of the 3 Valleys. Over your budget - but you're already rethinking that, aren't you?

Very good ski schools available for the beginners (and the less than pro standard too wink )

A more budget operator offering some good "all in" deals is Ski World - http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/ski/holiday/Inclusive-Chalet-Holidays/1114. The lift passes and skis offered might not be good enough for the more experienced skiers in your group though. The only time we visited a Ski World chalet (Plagne 1800) we felt it offered excellent VFM. Mind you, we did book last minute again, which is not really an option for your group.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NomadicBoo, I'd say that you will struggle.

Have you looked at owner run chalets- sort out your own flights/transfer and or drive out?

Also ski in ski out is a premium feature.

We are older (by 10 years or so) with kids and we look for; good chalet- well run, good food, friendly owner, good ski area and ski school, and that's it. Not bothered about; ski in, nightlife, more than one bar or restaurant. We usually sort out childcare a bit last minute when with friends as we muddle through.

If you just dropped ski in/out then I'd say - Chamonix! Range of chalets, great nightlife and food- loads of skiing but not ski in.....Fantastic mountain experience.

Alternatively- Borovets- the new Val D'Isere!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slow pitch -amost 5 hours and no-ones's said La ***iere yet. This place has gone to the dogs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NomadicBoo,

1. Chamonix
2. Morzine
3. Verchaix

None of that helps though, but it's what you asked...(and the reasons behind my answer are entirely personal. I know I'm right by MY criteria however).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try skitopia.com and Montgenevre in France. They run all inclusive holidays for that sort of price, and I've stayed with them lots, I'd definitely recommend them.

Alternatively, go to the ski show and pick up a good deal there?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
Slow pitch -amost 5 hours and no-ones's said La ***iere yet. This place has gone to the dogs.
I have given up suggestion resort R Madeye-Smiley

Pam W is spot on. If Ski Olympic have something free then you will get 1 free place, 2 if you get 17 to go. I bet you could get them down to £550 for the end of Jan. You may get even cheaper with Silver Ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How long is a piece of string?

Personally I like Espace Killy (Val d'Isere/Tignes) but there are loads of great places and it's really down to personal likes/dislikes!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Also ski in ski out is a premium feature.

Hate to be contrary, but it isn't. Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val Thorens, Avoriaz, Tignes (and many others besides) all have ski in/out from cheap as chips self-catering apartments. Ski in/out from a chalet or hotel is less common and a bit of a luxury, I'll grant you.

Any of the above will provide you with what you require form your holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NomadicBoo, we can't help as fully booked (for catered....) from mid-January through to mid-Feb which in any case, is expensive in France. I would think you'll need to reconsider some of your criteria, dates or increase your budget. Lift passes alone for the types of resorts/domains you seem to be after, would take up a big chunk of what you are looking to pay.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're staying in Les Deux Alpes (which I've not been to but have heard good things) in a ski in (but not out - 200m walk) catered chalet for £345 3rd week March (accom only). DIY all in it'll be £660.

3rd week on Jan was cheaper even than that, but of course heading in Feb was a lot more.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 1-10-10 12:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ishay, does that include passes and hire?
snow conditions
here's a sample of prices.. but then you need ski pass on top of that.

http://www.ifyouski.com/ski-deals/by-country/france.aspx

might be better waiting til nearer the time and seeing if there's any last minute stuff, but then with a large group, that's very unlikely!
latest report
nozawaonsen, Yes. £345 accom (5 nights HB) , flights £58 (Easyjet), transfer £45 (from Grenoble), Pass £170 (as long as the £ doesn't keep heading south, ~€200), Hire £70 (BOGOF with Ski Republic, so €159 between 2). That's £688 (forgot we're getting a £20 discount on the chalet for booking a group of 12 which is why its £668 to be exact).
snow report
ishay, good price! Sounds like you did your research.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy