Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

misspelt resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering why you would need an apostophe in the Battersea Dogs Home (as the home doesn't actually belong to the dogs, it just where people put them) and it occurred to me that lots of other places for keeping things use the singular. A book shelf, a shoe cupboard, an egg box, a horse box, a bike shed, a spice rack etc etc. I couldn't think off the top of my head of a "place to put things" which uses the plural, having rejected my husband's "pants drawer" because we always talk of pants in the plural. Then I remembered a conversation with my husband about the French, who sensibly do ("un pantalon" "un jean", "un short") when we ended up asking ourselves why on earth the English words for some garments which go on the bum are plural. Why do we talk about a "pair of trousers", or a "pair of pants?" We don't talk about a "pair of shirts"? And it's not even consistent; we don't talk about "a pair of skirts" (so the old "divided skirt" poses some problems....)

Maybe it should be the Battersea Dog Home?

I had to ask a local how to pronounce "megeve" and from my now superior knowledge find that very few English skiers pronounce it properly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, are you needing to get out a bit more? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, yes, I was waiting for my OH to get out of the kitchen so I could cook my omelette. He can't bear to be around eggs. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, The one I use is advise and advice, which seems easier to remember and get right. What really gets my goat is those who confuse fewer and less. Often newsreaders seem to be the worst culprits. Aaah, how nice to be a pedant in one's old age.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Home of (or indeed for) dogs, stray or otherwise. Hence Dogs' Home. (Although I wonder if it shouldn't be Battersea's Dogs' Home...). Magistrates' Court - a court of magistrates... etc.

I hear what you say but disagree (as per my original response) because I think that dogs and magistrates is just a non-possessive plural in this case, so no apostrophe needed - like in 'Dangerous Dogs Act' - no apostrophe Confused .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Waiting for a bus up the mountain in Bourg St Maurice..
The English version of 'the next bus to Val d'Isere...' is a recording in a heavy American accent and mentions -
VAL (pause) DEE (pause) EYE-ZER Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonno

Surely it should have been VAL DUH IZ EAR

While we're on the getting of goats.

BBC: And now, over to our Royal Correspndent...

You wish! He's not royal at all.

Royalty correspondent he may be, royal, he ain't.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My particular bug bear is i.e./e.g.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I came across this thread while looking for mis-spellings of ski resort names.
I had already got Courcheval, Couchevel, Courcevel, Coucheval, Mirabel, Val Thornes, Motteret, Wengan. Les Trios Vallees, Les Trois Valles.
From this thread I also found Mayerhofen, St. Jervais, and a few variations of Kitzbuel.
Thanks guys.
When there is no snow around, I have a little fun doing a few screenshots and adding them to Flickr.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tinges
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ia plange

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 28-10-19 22:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It always amazing me that it is perfectly accepatable to say "I don't do maths" or "I cannot do maths" yet people get on the high horses about spellin mistakes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll check for La Plange and Tinges, thanks! (but maybe tomorrow, it's getting late here).
Being proud of innumeracy is also a source of dismay to me.
Since posting, I tried Vale and Apsen.
I consolidated my Ski Resort Spelling Boobs into an album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lawrence_chard/albums/72157711543639823
In case anyone wanted to find them easily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On various chats about going to Les Contamines next Feb, we've had Les Contaminates (thank you autocorrect) and Les Cuntamines... Take your pick.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
It always amazing me that it is perfectly accepatable to say "I don't do maths" or "I cannot do maths" yet people get on the high horses about spellin mistakes

As per the MP recently that has dyslexia, I am with you. So what if there is a spelling mistake (remember posts are sometimes done on a phone while sat on a moving train)
snow conditions
Grammar - the difference between knowing your 5hit and knowing you're 5hit.
snow report
Åre (mainly because no one can find an angstrom on a UK keyboard)
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:

Excellent Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

Excellent Very Happy

Capitalization: the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I'm sure I've heard plenty more of these at some point or other...
latest report
Saw Innsbrook on a Birmingham check-in desk display last year
snow report
Bankso - sounds slightly more edgey and artistic than the reality.

On the subject of grammar and language/etymology generally I recommend Helen Zaltzmann's The Allusionist and Suzie Dent's (With Gyles Brandreth who is suprisingly bearable) Something Rhymes with Purple podcasts. The more I listen to them the more I am convinced that language, usage and grammar are entirely fluid things and it is only by accident of time and educational background that we really care.

My nieces made the same point more easily by showing me this Horrible Histories episode while making the case for why they dodn't need to do their English homework

http://youtube.com/v/VoRk3k_yykg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy