Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's nearly October and I don't have any skiing organised!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Things are a little different this year. First of all, I was transferred to an Agricultural College as a lecturer, so could be stuck with holidays outside term time unless I can get myself transferred out into a job where I can take hols when I want.

Secondly, we have little Alice (9wks old) to think about this year.

My prefered option would be to take Alice in mid January (When I normally ski) to somewhere close to an airport. Flaine/ Les Carroz/ Avoriaz maybe. Self catering. Also to take my mum as a baby sitter during the day. My mum could also get a ski taster.

Any thoughts or ideas from snowheads?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, well a grandmotherly babysitter is a very good idea, particularly if she's interested in a ski taster. If you remain stuck with school holidays I'd go as early as possible in the Easter holidays, when the weather will be more pleasant for babies and baby sitters.

As for where, I'd suggest somewhere with a bit of something other than skiing and/or somewhere where a person sitting with a baby could be "in the action", able to meet up with skiers without having to go up the top of a mountain somewhere.

I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions - but whether it's term or holiday time will make a big difference.

I'd agree self catering will be the easiest and most flexible with a small baby.

If it turns out that you can go mid-january you don't need to make any early decisions. Can wait and see how the snow is because if it's good, somewhere low would be best (ie Les Carroz better than Avoriaz).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What about somewhere towney with shopping and facilities with a cable car from low down so a baby sitter could travel to snow line with baby for the experience and lots of low down walking for pram pushing? I use to go the Lenzerheide-Valbella a long time ago and then I think that would have been a good place to have been with a small baby.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go to Courchevel. Get a peachy Russian nanny.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What about somewhere towney with shopping

Depends on the granny, I suppose. I loathe shopping and so did my mother and it's the last thing either of us would want to do when we'd paid a lot of money to be in a ski resort. When my mother came out babysitting her big thrill was being able to walk from the apartment along to a nice cafe at the foot of the slopes where she could sit with a coffee and cake and watch the littlies in ski school whizzing round and round the nursery slope. Especially when her grand-daughter was one of them. Then just potter back into the warm and read a book. Frankly, I don't think she'd have wanted to go up in a cable car to the snow, especially if she'd had a baby in a buggy.

She also enjoyed going to the small supermarket over the road and sorting out something simple to cook for lunch, when we all finished ski school (I did the evening meals). Again, just a few yards fom the apartment. Another real hit was the little, warm, warm-spring fed swimming pool in the grounds of the apartment. It was such a novelty to swim out through a thermal curtain, up to neck in warm water, but with snow and mountains around.

With little babies/small children I think a key requirement is everything close together. Apartment, pleasant walks, a few cafés, the "front de neige", the ski school meeting place, reasonable food shops. And for me as a baby sitting grandmother it would be absolutely essential that I could get to and from any of them, comfortably under my own steam, with a baby in a buggy without relying on buses or cable cars. If I was going to be spending a fair bit of time inside an apartment I'd also prioritise a super view of the slopes - as well as a stack of good books. As a skiing mother with a small baby I'd also want to be able to ski back quickly to within a few yards of the apartment - maybe to join up with grandma and baby for lunch, without it taking a huge chunk out of my ski day.

But some people would obviously rather be in a "proper" town with plenty of sophisticated shops and spa treatments, etc etc. In which case somewhere like Kitzbuhel or Cortina would be wonderful. It all depends what's important to you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We're a few weeks behind you with the same dilemma johnboy, except that being self-employed and having to make redundant my last engineer (it's either pay him or pay me, not enough money coming in to pay both of us) I'm now on call a heck of a lot more than I wanted to be so time off will be at a premium too. We've not totally ruled out skiing this season but it's looking quite unlikely.

I have mentioned Wengen to Jo, having a train run from top to bottom of the mountain means that Alice could take Johngranny up to meet you too Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, why don't you team up with johnboy, and do a joint holiday and share the baby sitting responsibility between you all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
not sorted anything meself either but not worrying too much at the mo' Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier wrote:
I have mentioned Wengen to Jo

Hopefully there'll be a MSB there in March. I love Wengen now. (OMG I'm turning into DG Orf Shocked .) Would be great to see you again and take a look at the ducking snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi wrote:
.....take a look at the ducking snowHead

Is that a euphemism for wetting the baby's head? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Schuss in Boots, well, it could be! Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy