Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cool helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week in La Tania (more details to follow in snow reports). However it seems that a helmet is a wise investment considering how much off piste/trees and speed I carry on piste.

However it was very hot last week, would a helmet be too uncomfortable? looking at a few websites this giro one seems to have the best ventilation (but ain't cheap)

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/707301||@cHelmets%20-%20Snowsports@bGiro|0|user||3|

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 deleted
deleted
Giro 9 very good (my wife has used one for 2 years) but very expensive in UK and surprisingly cheap in Canada....

I have used a Dainesse on for 3 years, and wouldnt go back to no lid now..

If you like trees and like your head, I think a helmet is a must-do now. Cetainly in Lake Louise this year near 50% of people are using them... even in Verbier I saw more...

The most important think is that the thing fits right... everything else is secondary - and they do vary in shape a lot...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have had a Giro fuse for the last 2 seasons and ski with it almost always. I also have the "tune up" ear pads though I have hardly ever use them as I dont believe it is safe to listen to music while skiing - quite good for long lonely lifts, but thats about it. Despite all the ventilation, I do find it quite uncomfortable to wear on a typical sunny spring day in the alps, and hence I tend to take it off when I am on/in a lift! It is otherwise very comfortable (for my head size/shape) and my Oakley and my Smith Goggles fit well. I bought mune in Whistler which was much cheaper than that price quote - I dont remember exactly what I paid but it was less than £100.

On the helmet thing, in N America they are becoming very popular with better skiers, and i would concur that in Europe they are becoming more and more of a common sight, especially (again) with better skiers and people going off-piste.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh,
Giro 9 gets my vote too. Light , comfy and removable bits. The headphones are useful on lifts and in bubbles but NOt when sking/boarding - safety etc. I bought one as I was boarding all season but now would not ski without one either.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Giro 9 fitted me best too, and enough removable bits to keep me cool (or warm).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh, I wore a ski helmet for the first time this year in temperatures of 20C and didn't notice getting particularly hot. I've got some kind of Reusch helmet, not sure which, it just fitted me best!
Once I get moving even at those temperatures, I didn't notice I had the thing on. No problem! I will certainly never be skiing without it again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers all, the Fuse seems to have better ventilation than the Giro 9, and I'm in the US next week which will halve the amount I need to spend, just a gamble on the fit if I can't get to try one over here first.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gregh, can you try one on over there? Don't buy without trying!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried one on in Courcheval, just by chatting to a snowboarder who had one, it seemed to sit fine on my head with little or no movement, what am I checking for when I try a helmet on?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh, size, fit, movement. If you've already tried a Fuse on, and you know the size, and are happy with the fit, then go for it. Normally I'd say try on a few different brands/styles/sizes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers, that what I thought, same as cycle helmets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I slagged helmets off for ages before I went to La Tania and had a near miss with a tree on the Folyeres! I got a Cebe one and it works for me without looking too ridiculous! Couldnt tell you the name of it other than its silver !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I look "special" in my helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I look like this in mine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Great google marks Foxy!
snow report
sorry that should read "goggle"!! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, you manage to carry it off. Small children look frightened if I get in the gondola with them when I'm wearing mine.
ski holidays
Mouth, I resemble those comments.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,
So it wasn't a pistol day that day? Trying to find a picture of me in my giro but all on pc at home!
latest report
Mouth, that was at Beaver Creek. Pistol days were at Vail.
snow report
Mouth, not really, looking at the (lack of) ground cover, his pistols would have got scratched to beggary.
snow conditions
hmm, seems like the fuse is all out of stock anywhere, either US or UK so bang goes my idea for picking it up at a cheap end of season price Sad
snow report
Greg,
Try here:
http://www.tramdock.com/tramdock/group/39/s1/Helmets.html

OK, well, actually, if you can wait a day or two, then go to epicski.com, they'll have a link to Tramdock, which means epic will get a couple of cents for your purchase.
latest report
So many seem to buy the Giro... But, I love my Marker M3. I bought it with an Infinity goggle that is designed to mate perfectly with the helmet. The helmet is very light, cool when it's warm, but warm when it's cold (I use a balaclava when it's really cold), and it's multi-impact.

Highly recommended.
latest report
I've met Steve, and I'd suggest he wears a balaclava more often, you don't want to frighten the kids... Very Happy
snow report
Tried them WTFH, not got stock in the size I need. They also seem to be the same website as http://www.backcountry.com/

I've tried every website linked to from giro.com and also emailed the UK distributor Sad
ski holidays
gregh, yes, they are part of backcountry.com
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, look who's talking! The reflection is frequently blinding! Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy