Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on All Mountain Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hey gang. This is sad, but I've been out of the loop on equipment now for some time and this is from someone who used to be a tech in a ski shop back in the day and also an instructor for a large part of my youth.

Anyway, I've been using some Salomon Street Racer 10's for the last few seasons (albeit a handful of occasions as I've been neglecting my favourite sport big time since I got married - typical huh!). Before this, I was using a pair of XScreams from yonks ago.

The XScreams were awesome when I bought them and were good all round, but then I caught the 'carving' bug and went for the dinky Street Racers. Before that, it was old school 200cm straight cut skis (still did the job mind). Anyway, the Street Racers are awful offpiste, in chopped up stuff and bumps. So I was thinking of a pair of good all round skis for this season.

Initial reviews have pointed me to the Scott Crusade although another website has the Head Peak 82 as a leading contender.

What I'm after is something that will be decent on groomed piste to allow me to crank out some nice turns and carve, but also won't be compromised when off on the chopped up, bumpy, or fresh.

I'm thinking ski technology has came on leaps and bounds so any help would be much appreciated. Are the Crusade's the dog's cahoonas and if so, is there any change between 2010 and 2011 models? Oh and what's all this 'rocker' technology I hear about (hey hey)?

Cheers guys,
Glenplakesmohawk

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 26-09-10 20:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you probably already know this or have it in mind...

hire some for a week... tell ski shop you are "shopping" and would like to try a few
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually daehwons, I hired some skis last season in Courmayeur and had an awful time. Not sure it was cos I had to hire boots as well as all my gear was back home, but blimey, I didn't have struggle.

TBH, in the past, I've tended to just go for what's reviewed well. If 9/10 folk say the Crusader is the biz, then I'd probably go for it.

Have been reasonably successful with this philosophy to date - I used to swear by Salomons but I thought I might try something else now.

And I'm not really wanting to fork out on rentals in any case as you get charged through the nose on the continent. Demo's would be good, but doubt I'll be anywhere close to a demo show.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glenplakesmohawk, K2, Volkl and Line have had demos at Glenshee towards the end of the season for the last 2 years at leats if you can wait till then?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you buy some from the shop they will probably not charge you to rent

what did you hire last year?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But I don't intend on buying in UK as I'm working in Italy.

I dunno what it was I had... I went back and changed 3 sets. They were just middle of the road carvers, but Europe decided to have an end of season dump and a foot of fresh snow on carvers, coupled with altitude sickness, was a great combination rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks lynseyf but was wanting to get something before the season kicks off. Not really interested in demo'ing - just wanted to know what was highly recommended and what other's may own as a reference point.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a pair of 2008 crusades (different graphics but pretty much the same ski, i think) & reckon they're excellent all round skis.
Strong points: surprisingly happy & stable carving medium/long turns on piste; destroys crud & chopped up stuff; nice in light powder. In the really deep stuff, or in very tightly packed trees, you're probably better off with something with some rocker, a bit less sidecut & a bit more width/flotation. But then, these won't be as good on piste, so the choice is yours...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers gra.

Just been reading up about rocker skis actually - boy have things moved on in the past few years or what!?!?!

I guess I don't want to be compromised too much as probably 50% of the time I'd be on piste, unless I win the lottery and can buy a chopper and go heli skiing for living that is NehNeh

Can you recommend the Crusade as a good all round ski then? I don't want to get something that's ropey as hell on piste as I still like to crank it and show everyone what BASI's finest taught me back in the day Puzzled

92cm under foot is pretty extreme considering where I've came from (the days of cocktail stick skis with no sidecut whatsoever). But then again, 92cm seems to be a mininum now on all mountain skis and some of the new brands are heading into the 110 range.

I like to ski all conditions, but like the sound of these rockers making plodding through crud and pow a walk in the park nowadays. But and it's a big but (I like big buts and I cannot lie!!), I don't wanna be scooting down a red/black groomed piste and looking like I'm skiing with two snowboards strapped to my feet (well, looks aint that important, but the point I'm making is that I still want to rip it up).

Cheers again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glenplakesmohawk, follow your sig wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go big or go home? Haha.... are you talking about a set of speed skis then Mosha Marc?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowHead I was thinking that you shouldn't let looks put you off.

I'd have said that something round 90mm underfoot would be about right for all mountain. Things like the Volkl Mantra spring to mind.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What would you suggest as a binding on a big wide ski like that? Riser plate/flexible unit or just bog standard bindings? I take it you'd need to get a set of bindings where the breaks were wide enough as well?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glenplakesmohawk, there's been a few threads on these type of skis very recently;

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66819

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66750

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66551

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66593

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66580

my thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66530

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66462

more freestyle orientated skis http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66518
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glenplakesmohawk, flat mounted straight onto the ski probably.

Nearly all new bindings will have a "wide" set of brakes.
snow report
Scott Missions. 89mm underfoot. I've been riding a pair (2 pairs, actually) for 3 seasons. Got some piste-only skis and off-piste skis too, but mostly I use the Missions.
Great carving on most pistes - go a bit flappy when it's reeeely hard and icy. Easy to ride off piste. Not perfect at either, but a great one-ski quiver. Hope this helps.
snow report
Jonno, the Missions are slightly skinnier than the Crusade with a slightly narrower radius. I presume they are better suited to piste than the Crusade in that case?

Mosha Marc, was always of the understanding that a higher stance on the ski led to a better initiation of turn but not sure if you want this for crud/pow. What's your thoughts on the flat mounted option?
latest report
Glenplakesmohawk, the thought process seems to be to go flat mounted for more stability while offpiste/bumps etc, but plates n risers onpiste for bigger angles and more speed edge to edge.

So, as with the skis, for all-mountain it's a compromise.
snow conditions
OK, really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. Ski technology has certainly left me behind over this last decade while I've been sleeping (and taking a well earned siesta from about 10 years instructing!!).

Anyhoo.... I just can't seem to stop considering these Crusade's. They seem to have a reasonable enough radius of 15m which although nowhere near the size of the titchy carvers I've been used to, will at least give me a reasonable amount of shorter radius turn, but with the advantage of 92 under foot with a mahoosive 133 tip. Sounds to me that I'll have the best of both worlds... a zippy ski for the groomed and a reasonably fat ski for powder and crud. I dunno about going for something with less sidecut as I will no doubt revert back to using them in Scotland once my overseas job (2-3 hours from Cervinia/Courmayeur/Chamonix etc etc) finishes.

So, moving on..... fit fit fits fit fit (and only Aberdonians will understand that one NehNeh ) What size?

Scott sizing charts have me on the cusp of 179. I'm 5'9 and about 13st (165lbs). I used to be uber aggressive (skied on DIN12 most the time when I was skiing for a living), but have toned that down in my old age (fast approaching 40!!) and as I seem to have lost almost 2/3rd of my ability Embarassed Not sure 189 would be a wise move would it?

Bindings - anyone got any preferences? I always slapped on Salomon Equipes so have no idea about what's good or cack nowadays. Guess I'm looking for something around the 9/10 DIN setting but nothing too heavy... no need really is there.

Final question is, anyone seen any really good shops (online or otherwise) that would do a crackin deal?

Cheers!!
ski holidays
OK loon - i will play, cause I like your user name and Aberdonian banter Cool

The term all-mountain ski can mean any ski that is between 85mm and 110mm under-foot.
So it is quite confusing... And these days means very different things to different people.

I am guessing your actually a very solid skier (who has taken 10 years out) and once you get back will be skiing way better than your average UK joey.
If you used to be able to rip off piste on old 200cm boards then with a modern ski it will be a breeze.

Quote:
decent on groomed piste to allow me to crank out some nice turns and carve, but also won't be compromised when off on the chopped up, bumpy, or fresh.

I would say look for something that is 90mm-100mm under foot.
This will be plenty width to make skiing soft snow & powder easy - but still able to carve a turn at speed (even on scottish water ice!).
Plus it wont be such a big jump compared to what you used to ski on.
For an 'all mountain ski' 100mm is more optimal alpine conditions and circa 90mm for Scottish conditions.
As for length - somewhere in the range 180cm -> 188cm ish

Remember that feeling when you first used an X-Scream vs. 200cm Salomon Equipe wink
That is what a modern pair of 'wide' skis will be like (x10!).

Quote:
any really good shops (online or otherwise) that would do a crackin deal?

Sport Conrad have a good deal on last years K2 Hardside plus bindings (181cm).
The other good online store is telemark pyreness.
Volkl Mantra is another good suggestion.
Never skied a Scott Crusade - but the Scott Pure might be closer to what your after?
snow conditions
just waiting for long computer simulations to finish at work....

Quote:
bindings

to be honest it still doesn't get much better than original metal salomons like 914, 916.
but you might want to look at the marker baron (downhill binding with touring ability).

Quote:
rocker

the latest marketing buzz word....
rocker stops tip dive in variable snow - at expense of having less effective edge on hard snow.
some all mountain skis will have subtle rocker or a flat camber.
snow report
you could try snowtrax also they have deals on last years crusades and missions

http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/skis/scott

I've had good service from them in the past
snow conditions
If looking for a deal, wintershack, based in Dundee, sell on ebay, or you can visit their store (opposite side of the Kingsway from ASDA). They major on Rossignol but also stock some other makes.
latest report
Thanks for the replies and help guys, particularly Haggis Trap.

Actually, never mind going from Equipes to XScreams, the biggest jump across the void was when I first tried a pair of K2 Extreme's back in the early 90's. The sidecut on those bad boys was a complete sea change from anything we had witnessed before. I loved those skis to bits and the only reason I stopped using them was partly due to having a stone based grinder at the ski shop I worked in, and I took the base to within a millimetre it's usable life Shocked

Anyway, I've ploughed straight in (no pun intended) and just taken ownership of a set of Scott Crusades in 179. Sounds like a good compromise for myself. Totally itchin to get them on snow. Not long to wait - Cervinia opens up at the end of October!!

So, just have to find a reasonably cheap set of bindings to slap on them now. The Salomon STH12 looks ok. Dunno whether to go for a riser plate or indeed, whether this is required in a wider set of skis (ie, non carver set up).
latest report
Bindings flat on ski for sure.
Riser plates give more leverage on a narrow race ski (when your foot is almost directly above the edge).
On a wider off piste ski they have little merit.

Quote:
K2 Extreme back in the early 90s

A real classic! Used to own some Black Magics - which were like the K2 Four.
K2 brought out a twin tip with the original graphics last year - very cool.
ski holidays
Aye, that was my train of thought too HT. Some dude on YouTube (Gords Skis or something) who reviewed the Crusades, was banging on about a riser plate with his set. Mind you, he didn't really sound like an authority on ski equipment. Didn't really think you need the height and leverage for a fat pair of skis.
latest report
Flat, no riser required due to the width.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy