Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructing in Australia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey.

I'm struggling to find much info on the net about instructing in Australia. Visa restrictions aside, how easy is it to find employment with a ski school in Australia and what are the minimum required qualifications to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minimal research I did in the past suggested that to teach in New Zealand most schools wanted you to be BASI 3/Landeslehrer/etc level, apart from local qualifications. No idea if this is actuallyt he case, just the impression I got, and possibly a similar situation in Oz? I'd be going to Argentina for a southern hemisphere winter personally though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok cheers, thats interesting, I've heard that some NZ ski schools have employed instructors with only Level1/Anwaerter qualifications. Have you looked into Argentina as thats one place I've considered (and would love to go) but semi ruled out due to not speaking spanish, hence why i'm looking at Aus.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know some BASI 2 folks who work in NZ season after season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skilehrer89, how old are you and do you qualify for a working holiday visa? If so this is probably the best bet for a first season in a resort with a low level qualification. Just head to the hiring clinics at the start of the season. Once you've done a season it's easier to get a job with a sponsored visa the following year (so I'm told).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skilehrer89, how old are you and do you qualify for a working holiday visa? If so this is probably the best bet for a first season in a resort with a low level qualification. Just head to the hiring clinics at the start of the season. Once you've done a season it's easier to get a job with a sponsored visa the following year (so I'm told).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, should not be. They do need to show a need for a qualified person to apply for sponsored visas. There are current Level 3 APSI, PSIA Trainer cert etc folks who have been told by the ski schools they are 'not required' to work season. This would indicate the school does not need anyone except at a higher cert level than those folks. (APSI 2 is ISIA) If the schools do this they are in breach of the regs AIUI. The not required folk must be given opportunity to work first.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
little tiger, for every resort? Sign of the economic times perhaps? Asrungsp, said above I know of folks in previous years who've got sponsored visas with L2 down under after working a first season on a working holiday visa.

Tips I've been given (for NZ) include avoid the big well known resorts and target the smaller resorts. Also having an adaptive second discipline (even L1) will help a lot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Just head to the hiring clinics at the start of the season

Did this a few years back. Spent a season in Mt. Hotham, lovely resort on a good day with a great gaggle of seasonaires and a superb general store. It is a bit of a 'wing and a prayer' travelling that far before having any confirmed work. However, if you are any good at what you do then you should be fine and get a job. The amount of teaching work that you actually get during your first season is a different story. Ended up not teaching too much as all the return staff and anyone higher qualified got the work before you are offered anything, there seemed to be a lot more consistent work available at the kids club.

Do it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for the info guys. Like I said I've heard of Anwaerter qualified instructors getting work in NZ.

beanie1 I'm 21 so qualify for a working holiday visa. I hold the Austrian Anwaerter qualification and by the time I'd be going next year I would have two seasons experience behind me (and possibly have started Austrian level 2 as well)

Will do some more research!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
little tiger, for every resort? Sign of the economic times perhaps? Asrungsp, said above I know of folks in previous years who've got sponsored visas with L2 down under after working a first season on a working holiday visa.

Tips I've been given (for NZ) include avoid the big well known resorts and target the smaller resorts. Also having an adaptive second discipline (even L1) will help a lot.

They must show that they cannot fill with locals... whether the higher certs want to work at a given resort may be a factor. However the resort must at least try to fill locally before applying for the visas...

Previous years may not be now... I know there were legal challenges going on... and some resorts started adding "we cannot issue sponsored visas" statements to their websites at the time...

Also Matt at Thredbo is now running the APSI entry level course there - these folks are being guaranteed work - changes the hiring clinic situation at Thredbo. Also leaves a bunch of local 'qualified' people around at season start and should mean more APSI 1's for following year... I think he is expanding that process.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy