Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski goggles - skiing's biggest rip off? Discuss.

Poster: A snowHead
Back in the Beginning (70s) the biggest problems with goggles was that they fogged up easily and the lenses scratched within seconds of putting them on; 40 years later the two major hassles for me is that they still get fogged up and scratch easily . But a good pair will set you back well in excess of £100. Especially if you write something like "Seth Morrison" on it.

They've also become a must have part of the kit with the rise of the board scene. It's not that I think wearing them is a bad thing but it's just that I have the feeling that there's a couple of factories somewhere in China where they churn 'em out a pair every 14 seconds for £1.75.

(A version of this may be repeated somewhere else on Snowheads. Apologies if so. I'm sure I sent it earlier but can't find it on screen hence this repeat. )

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 26-09-10 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Funnily enough there was an episode of "How do they do it?" or "How it's made" on Discovery on the TV whilst I was doing the washing up, and it showed them making ski goggles. It looked like a very labour-intensive process, so I very much doubt they can make them for £1.75.

Quote:

40 years later the two major hassles for me is that they .

That they what?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, leave you in suspense? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonm - I was being overly facetious there but can you give us a brief description of what was done and where.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jonm wrote:
It looked like a very labour-intensive process, so I very much doubt they can make them for £1.75
but not far off. I know that sunglasses selling for £30 can cost as little as a dollar a pair with the case, swing tags and all the usual protection credentials. One you add shipping, duty, wholesale and retail margins though, you quickly arrive at many tenners for the retail price.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe but it's what you're prepared to pay that swings the deal. I stick Anon goggles because they're comfortable and they look good, although I've paid a mere £25 for last seasons, right through to £110 in resort when I lost a pair - the £110 was a bit of a wounder but they're still with me now and work great. That for me is why i stick with that brand and sometimes have to pay over the odds for the privilege. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds to me like you are buying on impulse rather than shopping around or waiting for the sales or a good deal on here. I've got a pair of Scotts and a pair of Oakleys neither cost more than about £36. IMHO the biggest rip off for ski gear is helmets when what swings the deal for me is what fits and what is comfortable and I guess doesn't look too bad luckily I got these to the latest safety standard in a helmet for £16!!! So why the hell do some helmets easily cost £100+ when they must all have similar manufacturing methods and materials in them?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Sweet helmets use carbon fibre (cheapest helmet about £120 with others in the range at £180 and £200). I'm not sure if the manufacturers making cheaper helmets use carbon?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum is dead right. There's no need to pay 3 figures for a top brand. My goggles are Salice bought in Italy for €32. No fogging or scratching and no complaints, although I'd far rather wear sunnies. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
So why the hell do some helmets easily cost £100+ when they must all have similar manufacturing methods and materials in them?

I don't think all helmets are the same. Mine has a layer of material similar to kevlar which is included to protect against penetration by sharp objects (such as pointy bits of rock).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

So why the hell do some helmets easily cost £100+ when they must all have similar manufacturing methods and materials in them?

Because they don't use the same materials, and also you will often find that the better (and usually more expensive) helmets grip and stay on your head better during (multiple) impacts. All helmets pass the safety tests, some exceed them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
not sure about carbon for a helmet if it is the only part of the layup as it is prone to brittle failure. Also, like glass if the resin matrix is lost/damaged at a point it will fail there very readily- Strength to weight is great.
They used to use a kevlar outer skin in the external layup on ocean racers as it would still hold together if the system delaminated or was otherwise damaged. It does make a marginally heavier boat, (kevlar is much weaker in compression than carbon or glass fibre) and it is really expensive to work because of its toughness (it requires special ceramic cutters), hence it is not really done any more, but if it was it would make the helmet more expensive. Although I am not an expert at composites I imagine it is not just carbon in carbon helmets.
Oh, and I have smith goggles and they fog, or at least the cheap low light lens does between the double lens.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonNZ, it's not just carbon. It appears to be what I'd describe as a 'weave' between the standard inside bit of the helmet and the out casing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, they're expensive and yes, they're essential. Unless you move at a snail's pace on spring conditions.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scotia,
(I will work out the quotes sometime)
I like that concept. It sounds almost exactly like the idea used on the boats which was to maintain the integrity of the rest of it when damage occurred at a specific point and would be a huge improvement on standard. If I did lots of off piste with rocks etc around I would give that a serious look.
snow report
Here we go again, another "what's the difference between blah blah" thread. Not all goggles/helmets/jackets/ski socks are the same, and quite frankly you're a bit thick if that's what you think. Stuff is made to a cost to suit a particular market. If you're a cruiser of pistes, stop for coffee every two runs and go skiing one week a year then you won't need the more expensive high performance gear that is designed and manufactured to withstand the rigours of a season hard shredding in the back country. You may choose to buy the more expensive kit because it's going to last longer and probably looks better, but that's your prerogative as a punter living in a democracy operating a free market economy.

I've got a lot of expensive kit because I go often and spend as much time as I can off-piste (and because I'm a dreadful kit whore. So sue me), whereas the mates I go on the anual lads trip only go on the anual lads trip, and they have bog standard everything, much of it my cast-offs, and it all works perfectly. Everyone is happy. Not a problem.
ski holidays
I know it's reverse snobbery but I've a lot of days with my £10 Tchibo specials (full TUV standard), I've never missed a storm day and my recent visit to the opticians confirmed my eyes are fine and dandy.

On the other hand I stand by my statement elsewhere that people who wear pikey ski kit are losers.
snow report
I agree someone is earning big money with this. I also agree production cost is £1.75 or even less, but let's face it... it's everywhere the same. Ski boots are molded plastic with some other cheap stuff doing work as liner, where I doubt production cost would be much more then few £, yet they sell for 800eur. Bikes on the other side are done out of few carbon tubes, yet they cost up to 10.000eur. Milk in store is (at least around here) around 0.8eur/liter, when farmers get around 0.1eur/liter for it. If nothing else... photos I sell go for 100+eur/photo, and they are done in 1/5000 of sec, and since it's digital, there's no production cost... if you don't count cost of equipment, knowledge etc., which also goes for every previously mentioned product. So for me, it's pretty much useless to worry about difference between production cost and retail price. If I like/need something, and I can afford it, I buy it. If it's too expensive I don't. And if I think I could make my own goggles for £1.75, I would go and start making them Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy