Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where next ?

Poster: A snowHead
Me and the others are thinking of going to Utah next season but i am tight and dont wont to spend more than 50p on the whole holiday, so does anyone have any tips or recomendations on companies etc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At that price, maybe your local bus company if you're under 16.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,i might be a little bit older than that but like everyone else i would like to get something for nothing. or failing that would like to know of any recomendations for companies that offer reasonable deals. and the bus tonight was £1.60 the driver wouldn't give me a child rate
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mistermouse, if you want to go to Utah on the cheap, then the best way is probably to organise it yourself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
mistermouse, if you want to go to Utah on the cheap, then the best way is probably to organise it yourself.

Could not agree more. Same also applies to Heavenly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mistermouse,

No idea what to exepct on flights to Salt Lake but if it is close to £400 it may be better to see what the TO's are doing.
I expect Crytsal and Thomsons go there but UK Ops tend to sell the rooms for maximun occupancy, ie 4 to a room.
I would think the hol should be 10 days minimum...for jet lag and altitude acclimatisation and you would do well to get under £700.

They say to stay in SLC and get a car to travel round to the many resorts within 90 mins drive. Expect the lift rates to be more expensive than
the top european resorts like VD etc. But maybe our US posters could help with hints like the local gas stations selling lift tickets at better rates
than the foreign visiter would get.

Even with a good exchange rate I would be interested to see what it comes out at. Sounds to me like you would do well to get away with less than £1200 for 10 days....I'm guessing...but !!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mistermouse, stop being such a tight @rse and pay the full whack. In fact maybe you should consider paying over the odds for trying the patience and benevolence of all here, as a form of punishment wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mistermouse, driver wouldn't child rate? That's 'cos you weren't holding a knife to his throat like the rest of them. (not recommended for air travel)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark Hunter, it's not me (honest guv) i would pay whatever the cost , its my tight back bottom friends who think that skiing should be cheap
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure if Neilson go to Utah but I booked through Magic Breaks with them and got 17% discount off the brochure price. They may look more expensive but they tend to price on 2 sharing so there aren't so many supplements and use scheduled flights more.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mistermouse, you don't need to spend 10 days+ to make it worthwhile - it money is tight, then 7 days will be a good start. Cheapest accomodation is in SLC, look to stay in Midvale or Sandy, and check out the Extended Stay America or Super 8 chains of motels. (rooms there are around $50 per night, and can sleep up to 4) If you go for one near the bus route, you can get up to Alta/Snowbird for, I think $5 return. Avoid Park City/Deer Valley, as they are overpriced. You may also want to go up to Brighton, which is in Big Cottonwood Canyon (Alta/bird are in Little Cottonwood Canyon). From Midvale/Sandy to BCC or LCC is about 25 minutes by bus. Park City/Deer Valley are about 45 minutes away (and you'd be better with a car for them)
Lift tickets at Alta this season were $47 per day, or Alta and Snowbird for $66 (both theses prices dropped if you buy multiple days)
Deer Valley 2 years ago was $67 for a HALF DAY!

In the evenings you can stay up the valley at Goldminers Daughter in Alta, or come down to the Porcupine in Midvale (my favourites), but there are plenty of other reasonably priced places to eat/drink.

If you want to ask on www.EpicSki.com you'll get locals giving you advice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Putting on my 'sensible' hat, I'd agree with Hat that motels are the way to spend pocket money. That's how I did it in Salt Lake City 26 years ago to ski Snowbird and Alta, and it was mindlessly depressing (mind you, I was stupid enough to be on my own)

The problem is that motels are the most unexciting and formulaic mode of accommodation on planet earth, even if they're run by Norman Bates. The best thing that can happen to you in a motel is a shower scene.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Several years ago we stayed in Park City, holiday arranged through "ski the american dream". They found us a cheap hotel, we went for the three beds in one small room option. The hotel also offered dormatories for even cheaper accomodation. Forgotton the hotel name, but it was within 300 or 400 yards of the main lifts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian wrote:
Quote:

Several years ago we stayed in Park City, holiday arranged through "ski the american dream". They found us a cheap hotel, we went for the three beds in one small room option. The hotel also offered dormatories for even cheaper accomodation. Forgotton the hotel name, but it was within 300 or 400 yards of the main lifts.

I stayed in a very similar place in Park City, a few years ago: possibly the same one! - It was called the "Chateau Apres" (http://www.chateauapres.com/rates/) and offers very reasonable rates for shared rooms or, alternatively, bunks in a communal dormitory (these have gone up from $25 ppn to $30ppn).

It's handy for the Park City base area (walking distance) and for the (free) shuttle buses to the Canyons and Deer Valley. - Breakfast was a DIY affair: they provided all the doings, you had to prepare it yourself! But it was good value, especially in the week of the Sundance Film Festival, when most of the accomodation was booked out by movie people.

Fox ,

In 2001, DV lift passes were $63 for a full day - maybe they wouldn't sell anything except full day tickets (after all, most of their clientele wouldn't notice if $67 were to fall out of their wallet)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
mistermouse, you don't need to spend 10 days+ to make it worthwhile

But on the other hand it's quite a long way to go for a week. Generally I would say that if you can stretch to 10-14 days then it's worth it.
latest report
Kramer, I agree, but if someone is on a budget, then reducing the days reduces the cost.
snow report
All great info so far, you lot are full of it. When i said we dont wont to pay much i really meant that we are just looking for good value . We normally spend our time in the alps but fancied a dabble over the water and Utah seemed to be the desired location . i organised the last trip but am trying very hard not to do the next one, but look at me getting involved already
latest report
mistermouse, colorado is also worth considering. Not been myself, but I've only heard good things.
snow conditions
Given that the flight is the expensive bit, and living costs in the US are incredibly low, I agree with Kramer that it's not worth going for less than 2wks. Last season we had 13 days skiing across 9 of the Utah resorts for £1300 (booked direct of course, and includes all travel, car hire, accommodation, food & drink, lift passes etc) in SLC staying in a Days Inn. I always reckon on about £100 per skiing day in France and Switzerland, and maybe £75 per skiing day in Austria, so the US costs are similar, as long as you go for 2 wks.
latest report
mistermouse,
As I am going too, I insist on nothing less than 10 days and would prefer more, if possible. Oh, and as long I get to ski for reasonable value, I'd rather not have to penny-pinch too much.
Try to resist the urge to organise it - you never know, the Hippie might just manage it yet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy