Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz Accommodation advice

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs B loves the direct flights from IOM-Geneva for skiing. As she also hates long transfers she loves Flaine. BUT I would like to go to Avoriaz, (no problem with Mrs B there) however their site is rubbish, The online booking doesn't work and going by the various "Immobiliers" is also a nightmare.

I've been told that Falaise" is the place to be, ideally as there is a question about how you actually get to your accommodation.

So! Given that we will arrive at Avoriaz at about 7pm, which is the time most Immobiliers shut rolling eyes

"Where do we stay and how do we book it?" Am I correct re Falaise or is it all good. Where do we avoid? Is it all ski in/out or are some areas better?

I've tried for about 3 years to book Avoriaz and always given up. Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too. It's a real pain. You can just call PV, they seem to run most of it. I had no luck as it's all strictly sat-sat. The tourist office were not helpful either.

There are also some apartments on HR.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/keywords:Avoriaz%2C+France

However we gave up in the end and stayed in Morzine (hotel neige roc it was called I think, and there's another place there - chilly powder? which looked nice) under the Avoriaz cable car which was fine. I think Falaise is the complex at the front so it probably has the best views though when I went for a nose around them they all seemed quite similar, I think it's all ski-in ski out.

I only go for the day these days but have a long-standing dream to get one of those apartments and do it out in original seventies splendour!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michael B, we have booked an apartment in the Falaise area directly through p & v for March. As firebug says P & V have a lot of apartments in Avoriaz with a choice of locations.

It will be our first time there, so any tips/advice about the resort would be welcomed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

get one of those apartments and do it out in original seventies splendour!

You won't need much kit then, will you?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys, been to Avoriaz for the past 5 out of 6 seasons so know it quite well. I think its either Pamw or pamski that has a place in Les Gets so she would be able to help you also. First of all i have never stayed in Avoriaz itself. I have stayed in places along the Morzine valley floor which suited me better. So, basically you drive into morzine and there is 1 road in and out of Avoriaz which is abour 700m higher than Morzine. If is has snowed, they will stop you and make sure you have chains on so be prepared! Then you drive up the road which takes about 20 minutes and arrive at a massive car park. You unload the car here and then you make your way to your accomadation. There is no cars in Avoriaz in winter so this is usually done by horse drawn sleighs. I dont know what time they run to/from but im not sure if they will be running at 7pm like one of you asked. The alternative (i think this is correct) is to basically walk. This would be horrendous in my opinion and if this had to be done in bad weather and in the freezing cold, i would not be happy as the furthest apartments and bloody miles away! As far as ski in/out goes then yes, i think that every apartment in avoriaz is ski in/out. The pistes go through the village iself which is really good. I love doing it. There are loads of bars/restaurants there but again as i have never stayed in Avoriaz itself then i dont know what time they are open until. If it was up to me i would stay in Morzine and save the hassle. Also the nightlife in Morzine is much, much better i believe, as there is a central focus to the place. There is a cable car which takes you up to the main skiing area either from morzine itself of a 5 minute drive away is Les Prodains which takes you directly into Avoriaz (bloody high and scary aswell going up) There is no return piste to Morzine so you have to catch the cable car back down, but if you park as Les Prodains then there is a few pisted back to the car, some of which are quite daunting after a long day on the slopes!!! Hope this has answered a few questions and if you have any more then feel free to ask! Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just booked an Apt via P&V. Not in Falaise as they were just too expensive for just 2 peeps. Booked Maeva Fontaines Blanches in Festival area, (I think) not cheap at 673 eur but only apt type with a double bed. At least P&V reception will be open.

So any info on how far it is to walk from the car park? Are the sleighs operating at 7pm ish?
Anyone else there March 12-19th?

Anything else I should know? Only 6 months to go. rolling eyes though I'm hoping to get away in Jan on a boys trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed in Avoriaz last year in one of the P&V (Antares, recently refurbished and typically small rooms but nice). We arrived late-ish, I think maybe even later than 7, possibly between 8pm and 9 and the snow mobilers and sleighs (after a long journey take the snow mobile, leave the sleigh for later in the week when you can enjoy it more) were still working regularly, I don't think you've anything to worry about at 7pm at all. About €2 per person I think.

All of Avoriaz is ski in/out, there is no concrete/tarmac in the village at all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I think the original seventies bit is amply taken care of but the splendour might require some work Smile

I do love it though, it's the Barbican of the Alps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michael B,

"Night shuttle service : from 7pm to 8am, seven days a week.
One tariff : 8 € per family.
Tel 24/24 : +33(0)4 50 74 01 55"

From the Avoriaz website, www.avoriaz.com

It's a long old walk particularly if it's been snowing...I would not be keen to do it. (And I have done it many times in my youth).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michael B, its me in Les Gets but I think thatRicklovesthepowder, and under a new name, have covered most bases. Very useful to you is the Night shuttle service operating 24/24. No doubt the P&V reception stay open late or have arrangements for if you are really late if delayed by the weather. Should be great and you will be up there before us outlying folk have arrived in the morning - and you can head out in all directions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, - and just for you - I saw a van in Morzine this morning with snow on its roof and bonnet!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski, i looked at the avoriaz webcam at 9am and there was a good few cms down on the ground, so did the snow last night reach down to Morzine? Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder, no, no, no - the van had probably come down from on high!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice to see snow so early. Thanks all and if anyone has more info keep it coming.

I cant believe that no one has put a trip report about Avoriaz.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Michael B, I am sorry that I missed the topic, as I was in the UK this weekend! Most estate agents close about 9pm on changeover days and you will not have a problem. We use "Central Locatif" to rent out our place and they are very obliging! As others have said get a "rack track" to take you to the apartment it is cheap and saves the heart attack pulling a hand held sled with your bags on board! Have fun.
snow report
Michael B, Fontaines Blanches is about as central as you get. It's good if you like everything on your doorstep. Good location if you have kiddies too (village des enfants). Not quite as good as Falaise for ski-out. Falaise is at the start of the Proclou piste - it's great to ski down a piste from your doorstep. From Fontaines Blanches you'll have a tiny bit of poling/walking at some point (unless the snow's really fast), before the ski down to the main Avoriaz chair nexus.

Fontaines Blanches has a side exit that is walkable from the disembarkation zone, but not with significant luggage. Falaise on the other hand is just a stone's throw away, and hand sleds will cope with all but the biggest luggage loads.

Epicea is a good compromise in terms of location (but pricier). I prefer the Falaise area myself.

Incidentally, Ricklovesthepowder, there is a return piste from the top of the Prodains cable car back to its base, it's just not very obvious.
snow report
crosbie, I thought it was fairly obvious! Right behind one of the Lift pass offices!
latest report
Roy Hockley, well, it depends if you ever look in the right direction... Confused The top exit from the cable car does tend to persuade you to look left or downhill, not slightly up hill to your right.
ski holidays
I am normally with the viking, so any hill she can find to ski UP Laughing !!!
snow conditions
crosbie, Thanks for that. Yes I like all on my doorstep, particularly supermarkets and Restaurants. It looks like there is a supermarket very close.

A bit of poling walking wont kill anyone but I do so love Belle Plagne for ski to the door. If Avoriaz comes even close it will be fantastic.
ski holidays
Michael B, Just noticed the dates! We are over there at that time! "Paddy's day"! PM me closer to the time and hopefully we can meet up! Supermarket is about 50m from the front door of the building!
snow report
Michael B, The amount of poling is really minor. We're talking 10-20 feet or sommat - depends on the snow. I doubt skiers notice it. Boarders (like me) do of course.

You can ski down to the back of Fontaines Blanches - worth sussing out when you're on the chair that goes behind & above it. You can also ski to the front - if you pick precisely the right route. The snow has to be good though - and yup, you ski through pedestrians and horse drawn carriages.

There's a supermarket opposite, yeah.

I've never been to Avoriaz when it hasn't been fantastic - even at the end of season when the sleighs get pneumatic tyres.
snow conditions
Roy Hockley, Will do.
snow report
Hi Michael B,

I have stayed in Falaise a few years ago and our group were able to hop off the coach in the car park at the edge of town and walk to our accommodation. I can’t recall it being a long walk although we didn’t have to haul skis on that trip.

Last January we stayed further down in Avoriaz in the Andante building (I think). We arrived about 8:00pm and got one of the snow taxis or what ever they are called - it was 8 euro for the two of us. We should have arrived earlier but Geneva was closed as they had a huge snow fall and they had to wait to plough the runways. Cue four hours worth of flights landing at once and mass carnage in the baggage hall but at least we made it. I did miss out on half a days skiing which I am still bitter about Laughing

Personally I preferred staying in the Andante as it was closer to the lift from Prodain which was a blessing having spent the afternoon skiing with friends in Morzine and then going a bit crazy on the apres Smile

Hope you get something sorted. I am looking for a couple of cheeky days in January in Avoriaz with the missus and then a lad’s trip in April. Sooooooo happy the summer is over!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy