Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon to Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Have booked a week in Serre Chevalier in February next year Smile
Now Just trying to work out transport. Can get flights to Lyon from Edinburgh and I think there is a bus (satobus) from Lyon to Serre Chevalier. The website isn't showing a time table just now and I have emailed them and they say it will be showing in November which seems pretty late to me. has any one sued this bus and can they remember what times it left Lyon? The other option is car hire. There are 3 of us and a quick look can get us a medium car for £170 for the week, does any one have an idea of other costs eg petrol, tolls? Also is it an easy drive or are snow chains often needed, we are staying in Villeneuve in Serre Chevalier.

I know other airports are easier but they mean a hassle in the UK so would prefer to fly to Lyon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i doubt you'll find many folk on here who have sued a bus before Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, I drove from Lyon airport to Les Deux Alpes at the weekend. Serre Chevalier is probably 25 miles or so further each way I guess. It's only motorway to Grenoble which is 10 euros each way. I only used 30 euros of petrol for the entire trip (Citroen C3). I think there is a pretty high pass on the way to Serre Chevalier for which chains are often required. It took me just over 2 and a half hours.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the col du lautaret can get pretty blocked up so you will definitely need winter gear and know how to use it. even if it hasn't snowed for a while the wind can blow snow around and make it slippery
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've driven to Serre Che from Lyon, Chambery etc etc. As Colin B, says there is motorway to Grenoble, then fairly good single carriageway road up to the resort. The drive over the col du Lauteret is one of my favourite journeys, but it is high at over 2000metres. You should consider the extra 40 euro or so for getting chains, as you may also need them in resort if there is a big dump while you are there [thinking postively here!]. TBH, we've been there maybe a dozen times over the last 15 years in winter and have only ever had to use chains once. They are pretty good at keeping the Lauteret open, since it is a main route to Italy. If it does get blocked you get diverted via Gap and come into the resort from the Briancon side. We've also only ever had this happen once, and although it is the longer way round, it is not much longer IMO.

Arno, is also right about snow getting blown over the road, but again, I would say this was not so common and not to get too worried about it. I would also echo that you should know how to put on your chains, and there are plenty threads and tales of woe there on the forum snowHead

Good luck and hope this helps. Serre Che is my favourite resort, summer and winter, and I'm really excited as we are planning a trip in the New Year. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf wrote:
Have booked a week in Serre Chevalier in February next year Smile
Now Just trying to work out transport. Can get flights to Lyon from Edinburgh

Can you not get flights to Grenoble? Much nearer than Lyon
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ok I thought I had solved this however...

I am flying to Lyon on 5th February, flight arrives 15.15. The direct bus from Lyon to Serre Chevalier leaves the airport at 15.30 so unlikely to make that. I can get a bus to Grenobly easily enough, http://www.faurevercors.fr run them hourly so I can get to Grenoble bus station for 17.30. I thought I could them get a bus to Lyon through http://www.vfd.fr leaving Grenoble at 17.45, this was translating "quotidien" as everyday, turns out the 17.45 bus is every day except a Saturday. I can get a train from Lyon arriving in Briancon at 22.30 but this is really my last resort, I would rather not spend 8hrs to travel 200km if at all possible. A private taxi is pretty expensive as there are only 3 of us. We would also rather not drive

Does anyone know of any alternative ways from Lyon or Grenoble to Serre Chevalier?

Whats the chances of us making the bus if one of us runs for it and the rest grabs the luggage, have made the train in Geneva 20 minutes after landing with skis and cases before Smile

Anyone else going in that direction and want to share a taxi??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf, your flight just needs a short delay, and you will have missed the bus anyway. Not sure I'd want to risk it. I'll ask around for you, but there's already someone else on the off-piste bash trying to do this too. Easy enough if your flight times can coordinate with the public buses.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the trains slow and rubbish, when we used it there were problems on both legs of the trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, you could try contacting Alpine Transfer company in Serre Chevalier. Which dates are you coming out on?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
lynseyf, you could try contacting Alpine Transfer company in Serre Chevalier. Which dates are you coming out on?

That is certainly an option, but a very pricey one - having enquired personally. If using both ways, you can find quite a good deal less expensive car hire alternatives, just to put some context into that comment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, which to be honest is what I thought, but the OP did say they preferred not to drive. I've got a couple of other transfer companies, but all are private options from Lyon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been looking at this today for the SteepOffPiste Bash in March.
I have the same problem as you - but there is only 1 of me ..... making it worse.

For you I would go for the car - at £180 plus tolls and fuel would be about £240 all in - so £80 each.
This is less than it would cost for 3 of you on the bus - even if that worked as an option.

I have concluded that I will probably go for the car even though it will be over £100 more expensive - as it will be useful for travelling around and I will get an extra half day skiing hopefully as I will get there much quicker.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells (or anyone else) - any idea how much would a taxi transfer be from Lyon airport to Serre Che on a Wednesday afternoon (so not a peak time) for 2 adults + 1 child?

Grenoble was not an option for flights.

Flight arrives at 16.10 so too late for buses as far as I can see.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
horizon, I just had a quick look and it was £130 per person one way.

I think we're going to have to hire a car then, it will have to be reasonably big to fit three people, cases, skis and boots though and lets hope the roads are good!
latest report
horizon, horizon, the quote I got for a guest from ATS was for around 140€ per person one way (that was for a Thursday) .
ski holidays
lynseyf, just a thought and not one explored but, depending on the timing/cost I wonder whether taking a taxi from the airport to say Bourg d'Oisan (?sp), which is en route to SC, may get you in front of the bus which you could then take for the remainder of the route. It is a phaff and one would have to take advice on whether it's even logistically possible. Clearly, the return should be a far easier exercise! Personally, I'd do the car thing Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy