Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I just check I am understanding this right.............

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys - am new here - wow - what a site!

In brief, had decided to buy gear for first time this winter, went to local shop - bit unsure if I understand everything right, so came home to google and learn more - and found snowheads. Just sorted log-in so can post now as well as read! Smile So much good stuff to read!! Embarassed

So - have I got this right:

Ski height - I should go for something between my lower lip and forehead - longer is harder but better if you are good, and shorter is easier. I was advised to go toward the shorter end because I have a minor knee injury and they said that would put less strain on. Is that right? I don't have any pretensions to becoming an expert skier - I enjoy cruising blues and reds and would rather have fun that show off.

So would something around lip height be okay or is there anything else I should be aware of?

THANK YOU in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flipperthesnowholedigger, welcome to snowheads. snowHead It,s more complicated than that - wait for the experts. And be ready to tell them how much you weigh!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm - kind of thought it might be - that's why I didn't buy even though I was nearly seduced by last season bargains. OK - will wait for the experts. Enjoying browsing the site right now!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flipperthesnowholedigger, Hi and welcome to snowHeads. Very Happy Have a look at this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66752
there's quite a bit of food for thought on it, plus links to sites which have ski measurement guidelines.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flipperthesnowholedigger, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
You talk about buying gear for the first time, and ask about skis, which is fine, but your first purchase should be your own boots. Having your own boots is a must really for anyone who intends skiing each year. Also I would recommend having a proper footbed custom fitted by a qualified person, such as fellow snowhead CEM.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
THanks - am def looking at boots too - what is a proper custom footbed? They certainly have a facility at my local shop where they will "heat up" the inner to mould to your foot. Is that what you mean? Thanks.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vital stats (height/weight/ability/aspirations - ie terrain)?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
173cm (5'9"), weight 55kg, or about 8 1/2 stone, intermediate, confident on blues and reds, tend to avoid blacks, more interested in having fun and cruising runs within my ability than pushing my limits and being able to do all blacks.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh and piste skis. No interested in off-piste!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flipperthesnowholedigger, I suggest you eat a few more pies! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, he/she's probably about 12!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flipperthesnowholedigger, There have been several threads on the Snowheads Equipment Reviews Forum about footbeds eg http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=883784&highlight=footbeds#883784
Basically a custom footbed ensures that your foot is properly aligned inside the boot (many people's feet exhibit either pronation or supination). A good footbed helps both the skier's comfort and the preciseness with which the skiers desired movement input is transmitted through the boot to the skis and the feedback the skier receives.
CEM's site is here
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flipperthesnowholedigger, you will have gathered that we are all rather anal about our ski equipment here. Quite a lot of us are also fairly elderly, so we need all the help in the way of nice supportive footbeds etc that we can get. However, if you are young and strong and not made of money, lots of people do get on perfectly well without the absolute latest gear and even without having their own custom moulded footbeds. Good fit is essential, though, and it's easy to buy boots too big because they feel comfortable in the shop. If you have a poor stance (see post above) a footbed would be very helpful.

The other vital thing - much more vital than fancy skis, that's for sure - is really good teaching. You're probably at the stage where you can get around the mountain and enjoy yourself but if you stop learning at this stage there's a danger of bad habits creeping in and you get stuck in a rut (or rather on what used to be called the intermediate plateau).

Where and when are you going?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flipperthesnowholedigger, welcome here. snowHead

Get your Boots sorted first. The single most important piece of kit.

Skis - how many weeks are you skiing this year - and where are you skiing? If the answer is Europe and one or 2 weeks only - at your level I'd rent tbh.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
queen bodecia, he/she's probably about 12!
Erm - no, I'm 37. Smile

Thanks for the comments and the welcomes. Will take a look at the CEM site. Have read quite a few other threads on here so am getting an idea - especially about not buying boots that feel toooooo comfortable in the shop!

Am skiing in Europe this year (3 valleys, feb) but have been in the Arctic for the last few years (Finland & Sweden) and also skied in Scotland last winter. I am just kinda a bit of a gear freak I think - and just kinda WANT my own skis (and boots) now. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
flipperthesnowholedigger, Welcome... and if you like gear just wait until you start waxing and sharpening your own skis Laughing

Might be worth getting your boots sorted and hiring skis but arranging to try 3 or 4 different models on your trip (a lot of shops will swap them over). Then if you find a pair you like keep an eye out at the end of the season when they are cheap.
ski holidays
flipperthesnowholedigger,
Quote:

I am just kinda a bit of a gear freak I think - and just kinda WANT my own skis (and boots) now

To my mind there is no better reason for getting your own gear!! wink Go for it if that's what you want, providing it all fits and is suitable then why the hell not - having your own gear is nice Little Angel
latest report
At a quick glance prob looking for a ski in the mid 160's and nothing too stiff and unforgiving! personally would look into the "all mountain category of skis as you never know what conditions are going to be infront of you in Europe, the skis will still be dedicated to the piste but will have a little more width underfoot to get you out of trouble if the conditions are soft (in good or bad ways)

Happy
snow report
flipperthesnowholedigger, ah ha... Buy the shiny thing!
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
flipperthesnowholedigger, ah ha... Buy the shiny thing!
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, That's what I hear in my head in climbing shops Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Welcome to Very Happy !!
latest report
Thanks again to everyone who has replied. Very Happy

I am considering a pair of Atomic Seventh Heaven 76s which are last seasons and in the sale at £246. Does that sound good? They are 157cm so about at my lower lip rather than nose, but chap in shop said that as I have an old snowboarding injury then going slightly shorter wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. What do you think?

Knee injury not really bad - i.e. never seen anyone for it - just a nuisance from time to time if I don't warm up properly / overdo it either running, hiking or cycling. I tend to wear a tubigrip knee brace for a bit of support.

Is that sound common sense that something slightly shorter would be a reasonable compromise? I realise they won't go as fast as something longer................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy