Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens - in general but also Feb 1/2 Term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Seriously thinking of going to Samoens for Feb Half Term (2 secondary school kids so no choice on dates I'm afraid) - Neige et Roc studio on hold at the moment.

Just wondering just how busy the roads to there are going to be (aiming to get past Reims on Friday night) and also how busy the resort itself would be.

We have been in La Plagne & Tignes at half-term before (approx 20 years ago) and actually didn't think queues were that bad - so is all the doom and gloom about this period just that or are things decidedly worse now?

Any other feedback on Samoens, ski-school, ski-hire, ski lockers, accomodation, eating-out, buddies appreciated as well.

Cheers,
Bongo.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bongo, we have skied in Samoens and also recently back from our summer holiday there. We haven't driven there in a peak week though, so can't help with info on queues etc., but it's an easy drive, with only the last 20 minutes or so not on motorway.

Friends used Zigzag ski school in Morillon, and thought it was excellent. We didn't use the ski lockers as we were in a chalet and dropped off/picked up so took them home with us. There are some decent eating out places from cheap-ish and cheerful to very expensive but very good. La Serac, right in the village, is very good for pizzas and steak frites. Some good bars with atmosphere for an apres drink. Big supermarket (Carrefour I think) about 5 minutes drive and sells just about anything you'll need if you are s/c.

I did have clients there in HT week a couple of years ago, and their chalet owner took them to the Vercland lift, rather than the GME or the Morillon gondola, as it was much quieter in a busy week. Made all the difference apparently. There is parking there too, but the ski bus goes up there
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The last peage before you come off the A40 isn't good but best just to sit with it as it's twisty and turny to get around the delay.

The worst I saw last season was about 30m delay on the run from the Airport to the Grand Massif.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bongo, we will be there at half term as well, so probably going to be in the same traffic jam
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bongo, As Marcellus says. I've been driving to Flaine the last 10 years on first Sat of Feb half-term (leaving on Fri night). We've never got as far as Reims on the Fri (typically F1 overnight further north) but have got moving at 6.00 on Sat to try and beat the traffic. It very much depends on which area of France has school hoidays then - if it's Paris then it'll be busy on the A40. We now use the A39 below Dijon, rather than the A6 - quieter we've found. Onto the A40 there are 3 tunnels through the mountains and the first can queue back but the earlier you get there the better. If you've never been on the A40 it is spectacular around the viaducts - I never tire of it.

Never stayed in Samoens but we've skied there. The best skiing IMO is over in the Flaine bowl but you go over two peaks to get there - can be slow although Samoens has a fast gondola to the mid-station (Samoens 1600) followed by a fast chair to the top now. If you go to Flaine there's a long meandering run from the top down to Sixt (Cascades) which is nice if you like getting away from the masses (but you have to walk a bit). A free bus returns you to Samoens from Sixt. There'll be some lift queuing but I've never found it desparate. Samoens is very attractive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bongo, I've done a rather snow poor half term with 16yr olds. A 10am start meant a 1 hr queue to get off the plateau, but this was 5 years ago before the fast lifts went in connecting over to Flaine. There was also a half hour queue to get down again in the evening BUT the red eggs up a short drive out of the village were always queue free both ways. Town was nice an buzzy, very friendly, fascinating Jardin Botanique which was a first for me in a ski resort. A loverly laid back area if you don't mind 8am starts or a bit of a drive to and from. Prices were pretty reasonable too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bongo
been to Samoens a couple of times at half term.Stayed at the Neige et Roc studios both times. Book them if you havn't already. Bus stop in front of the Hotel, - the studios are just behind. Breakfast for around 12 euors each is worth it, but obviously expensive. Should ty it once. Restaurant is very good, but not as good as the Bois de lune down the road oor the superb pizza in the Louisiana. Get off as early as you can Saturday, and once to geneva set your Sat nav to no Motorways as my experience is that the tolls are the worst thing.
Never done ski school there, but if you have anyone learning the slopes for this are the best I have ever seen at 1600. Some very good places to eat. Post nearer the time and I'll dig the names out if needed.
In short a lovely place!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for your replies.
We have gone ahead and booked the Studio in Neige et Roc.

Just have to get up early (altho' driving all night has been suggested!) and be prepared for a bit of queuing for lifts etc. (We were in a resort in 2007 where there was only one blue run open so are used to queuing to go both up and down the mountain!).

We had been looking at Intersport for equipment but Extreme Glisse have been recommended elsewhere and do seem come in cheaper (if my school french is correct) and if they are right next to Gondola saves lugging the stuff around.

Need to think about ski-school now so if anyone has some good recommendations that would be great. Not sure if we would be best doing private family lessons or whether group lessons (which would be more sociable) - would like 11 & 14yo to be together or at least have plenty of own-age British company if separated. Zig-Zag appear to only offer 3 days for Adult Group lessons - but that might work well as can practice without the kids.

Cheers,
Bongo.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bongo

We are going to Grand Massif area Feb half term as well. Staying in a chalet in Morillon. Never skied the area before, so interested to hear feedback on place, and travel there. We are travelling down Fri eve and staying O/N in Reims. Hope to make early start on Sat and beat some of the predicted traffic too.
We also have an 11yr old who will ski with Zigzag ski school (in process of arranging lessons at the mo). Our 15yr old is no longer in need of ski school so will ski with us. Had a number of recommendations for Zigzag so hope it will be good. 2 adults in our party (of 15) are also doing lessons with them.

Hoping the lift queues are not too bad. Skied Avoriaz two years ago at half term and was only bad first thing in morning. Once up on the slopes the crowds dispersed somewhat.
Cheers for all the ifo.
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lgen31, Have zig zag got back to you yet with a confimed invoice. I am still waiting and wondered if you had any joy. We are doing the same as you but will stay in Troyes on the Friday night - Essex is a bit closer than Newcastle so we will need to do a bit more driving on the Saturday - early start as you say
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bongo and lgen31, we've driven along the A40 Sat morning of half term for the last two years. We stopped in Troyes Fri night and set off around 7am (3 hrs to Pont d'Ain). There were some big tailbacks along the A40 SE of Bourg en Bresse, esp first part - first year we got caught in a big queue when A40 goes E (jnct 8?) - we'd got lost in Dijon getting petrol so got there around 11 - too late. Listening to the autoroute traffic news suggested joining A40 E later than 10 - 10.30 was a bad idea. Following year bought French road atlas, got there earlier and used D roads for bits of A40 when alerted by radio - the reports are really accurate but mostly in French so helps to understand the lingo, especially numbers. We had a lovely drive on clear roads. I would go as far S as possible on the Friday night. We've also taken a Sat 7am tunnel crossing and the traffic is much better arriving in the Alps later but it gives less time to sort out skis etc on Saturday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AW, thanks for the tips, especially as we are staying where you did on your first drive down
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drove down to GM last half term, going again next year and been a few other times too. We travel across (Dover-Calais midday) on Friday (thank god for teacher training days) and stay at Macon (get there quite late though), never had any real traffic problems apart from a few km prior to Reims where the roadworks will hopefully be finished by now LoL, but only delay has been about 20-30 mins I suppose (lucky?). Leave Macon about 0800 Sat with very little traffic to Cluses. If we get to our accom early we have a quick change into ski kit and can be up the mountain around midday, via Les Carroz. Recognise that Samoens is a bit further up the road though.

We have been the week before Cristmas and Easter too without any traffic to speak of.

We have also travelled via Portsmouth-Le Havre but skirting Paris is a pain. Dover Calais is longer for us from Wiltshire but drive down is much better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We have also travelled via Portsmouth-Le Havre but skirting Paris is a pain. Dover Calais is longer for us from Wiltshire but drive down is much better.

I live 10 minutes from the Portsmouth ferry port but we now always go eurotunnel, and not only because it's free with Tesco vouchers. Skirting Paris is indeed a pain, and the motorway down from Paris to Lyon is busier and generally a more horrible journey than the one down through Reims further east. It's a longer drive, but shorter elapsed time given the very long western channel crossings (which can be uncomfortable in the winter - not a great night's sleep even with the extra cost of a cabin).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Basil, with all the snowheads on the road on that Friday/Saturday we will have to wave as we go past each other. I will be the one looking lost as ever
latest report
chrisb, Sounds like a good idea, I'll be the one with a tea cosy on me head!.
snow report
Bongo, Hi -been in Samoens for many years -please let me know if you need any local info in advance. That applies to any SH's that plan to visit Samoens ;8

twoodwar, Not sue when you alst ahd a pizza in Loisianne, but it changed hands quite some time ago and it's gone dwon hill every since. I check it out twice a year just to ensure my recommendations ae spot on - the toppings have been seveely reduced in quantity and critcally quantity togethre will an appaling drop in service standards -the place is now run more or less as a dwon amrket eating joint fot the owner and his mates to enjoy their beer and the food a gone to pot. Really cannot recommend it at all. I'll try and test it again in a few weeks at the end of October and provide an update if there's time.

PMU also closed in mid August (the staff who left Loisianne when it went down hill ran the PMU) and hopefully this will reopen again.
ski holidays
lgen31, Thoroughly recommend the L'igloo at Morillon for lunch - best to book at half term though! Cool
latest report
Hi
What would the drive down be like covering first half from Calais on Saturday ( say to somewhere between Troyes & Dijon) & then completing final leg to Samoens on Sunday; returning to Calais/UK the following Sunday?
Mitch
ski holidays
Mitchell, I woudln't have thought there would be many issues until you get close to the Alpes....easily doable
snow report
Jivebaby
cheers for the louisiana heads up. It was 2 years ago, and still good then. However there is only one way for a good restaurant to go!
ski holidays
Bongo,

Can recommend Extreme Glisse for ski rental. Very friendly and proficient plus can book online in advance - kit waiting for you. Right opposite the GME, bus or walk in your normal shoes and change in the shop.
ski holidays
Thanks again for all replies you have convinced us to book the accommodation, send off for Tesco Eurotunnel vouchers and book equipment with Extreme Glisse (once I've measured & weighed everyone). However am unsure what to do about...
(i) Ski-school
Emailed both Zig-Zag and 360 with same criteria - have had a reply from 360 but not sure I understand their English which doesn't bode well for the lessons and have had nothing from Zig-Zag.

(ii) Overnight accomodation versus Driving all night.
Originally planning to stay Troyes (which we did last year) but friends have suggested driving all night (2 of us can share driving and kids do still sleep in car) and arrive early hours Sat, crash in hotel lobby for a couple of hours, ski Sat then have a very early night. Another option would be to drive much further than Troyes, still get up early but have a much shorter journey on Sat. Has anyone else tried either of these? Obviously if weather or traffic dictates otherwise we would have to stop - what would be the chances of finding a room in a motel without booking?

Cheers,
Bongo
ski holidays
Bongo, see my thread on zig zag at Samoens. I got the invoice from them today but they can't take payment yet. The times of their group lessons work though so I will presevere with them at the moment.

With all the snowheads there in half term maybe we should meet up one of the days while the kids are in lessons?
snow report
Bongo, We travel down from the midday ferry at Dover and stay at Macon and get there at about 2100 or so. Two hours then to Cluses (max) and we are skiing by midday (Les carroz, GM). We are booked up now for trip down pre-Christmas and 1/2 term as the hotels book up very early (stay at Etaps/Ibis and maybe F1 if pushed because even in Sep some are already booked-up). We pay about E40-50.00 a night prebooked but have seen nightly rates at E70.00 + in hotel lobby on arrival, assuming they have room, would not risk availability (driving round unknown town at dark-o-clock, snowing and with hungry kids needing a wee, no chance).

Interesting that you say you can crash in hotel lobby, who will look after the kids who have been sleeping all the way down?.

Good luck!
ski holidays
Basil, As I say this was a suggestion by friends, who have done it with similar aged kids (11 & 14) - ours would probably sleep better in hotel lobby than I would. However, I'm not convinced its a brilliant idea myself but we wouldn't be able to leave Portsmouth 'til after 3pm so were looking at ways of avoiding traffic and trying to get some extra time on the snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

We are travelling down Fri eve and staying O/N in Reims.

Make sure you stay south of Reims - will make a big difference when you get going again in the morning.

Basil. Those roadworks certainly aren't finished, and don't look like being finished for ages. What exactly is it that they're doing there?

The tunnels on the A40 are being done to, as well - some holdups there at the moment, even on light traffic days, with one side closed altogether and contra-flow in the other.
snow conditions
Bongo, Not sure what the best way would be leaving at the time you say. Take you a couple of hours or so from you to tunnel/ferry and realistically looking at an 8-10 hour trip the other side. Take an extra days holiday and go earlier (teacher training days help), and stay overnight, it works well for us. What about LDLines Portsmouth-Le Havre?, isn't there a boat which leaves about 1700 and gets in about 2300?, get a cabin, few hours kip and drive through straight to lifts, few cans of Red Bull and all that.

pam w, Think the roadworks at Reims are at a new motorway junction or summat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Basil Reims southern by pass will be open in November a full 6 months ahead of schedule.
http://www.a4csr-sanef.com/spip.php?article153
snow conditions
It's interesting what people say about the A40 traffic at different times of day on the first Sat of Feb half-term. We've always arrived at the tunnels around mid-afternoon because we simply can't get an earlier Friday crossing than around 10pm and then stay in northern france at an F1 typically - I don't want to drive overnight at my age. So I drive about 500 miles on the Saturday. But we've generally found it OK, some queueing yes, but we've always arrived (at Flaine) in the light say 5 to 5.30. The worst queue is typically for the peage towards the end of the journey. However we have our own equipment so just need to unload, park and get a pizza and look forward to the following day.
snow report
Boredsurfing, that's interesting. Will it make any difference to the drive straight through from north to south - or vice versa. That piece didn't actually say - maybe all the locals know perfectly well and don't need telling.
ski holidays
Neither Zig-Zag or 360 can meet our requirements* so looks like we might have to go with ESF - has anyone had experience of them in Samoens?

* They can't do the either level of adult classes we need or at the same time as kids lessons - Zig-Zig can do private lessons for us adults but it makes it too expensive for us
latest report
We are looking for a hotel lobby that can accomodate 13 people for a kip after driving through the night any ideas, 2 of the children are small for their age so won't take up much room. Any ideas?
ski holidays
In all seriousness we are staying in Samoens village and are wondering where to hire skis and boots. We'd like to be able to change the childrens boots up the mountain if they don't fit!
snow report
alastair alastair, We used Skiset up at 1600. The have locker rooms too so no need to struggle down to the village with everything. Most of the hire shops have a place in the village and one up at 1600.

Le Petit Train is also good for a kip after an all night drive Laughing
latest report
Alastair, and Bongo if still looking, would recommend strongly not driving through the night. Primarily because of safety. I have done this and regretted it, due to being a little dangerous if not on top form. Unless you are a night worker and are used to it, it is not worth the risk in my opinion. Suggest taking a friday off, and then if southern based, going virtually to the resort. Get Ski gear on in Hotel on Saturday morning, drive to resort, buy passes, hire gear if required and be on the slopes for lunch. Worth considering.
snow report
If you drive down Friday night you should be ok, that's exactly what we did last half term and got there from Calais in roughly 7-8 hours which is pretty good. Definetly worth leaving Friday instead of Saturday though!! If you want some helpful resort information on Samoens than have a look at our resort guide, provides latest weather and webcams as well so you know what to expect Very Happy

http://www.loveskiing.co.uk/reviews/france/samoens/

Cheers

Hope that helps Very Happy

Jim
snow report
We are taking a bus down on the Friday, we will have several bods on board but I guess there will still be somewhere to lie down if you just wanna kip but you will have to be flexible on sleeping arrangements and times, and we do a lot of singing until the early hours. You can't miss us, the bus is yellow and green, not the best carbon footprint but its all we can afford, it has a hole on one side where the cooker flue used to stick out but since a trip to the Isle of Wight when the cooker gave up the ghost and exploded on us we have not had the time or money to repair it, we cover the hole with some old jim jams but it can be a little drafty at speed. Anyway thats it may see you guys there, stop us if you want!
snow report
madmattski-actually we wondered if we might pay you for some seats on the bus as we have discovered our car is abit dicy in the snow.In return my husband, who is gas safe registered could install a new cooker for you. what do you think? the only thing is we do have to bring grandma as she has slight dementia. She makes alovely one pot stew if we can get the cooker sorted.
latest report
That sounds like a deal! If you have a cooker that has one of those griddle things to help to reduce the fat that would be great as we are all trying to be a bit healthier. No worries about the dementia thing, several of our party have something similar, one of us is a doctor anyway, not registered anymore since the misunderstanding on the Isle of Wight but he keeps upto date with latest drugs etc so he is cool. Can any of you guys drive? not too worried about the HGV bit, we can always stick some L plates on - keep in touch, this could work!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy