Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz, early January.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about having a 4 day break in La Clusaz 05.01.2011 – 08.01.2011, flights are booked but we haven’t yet made a decision on the resort.
We do a similar trip every year as a warm up to the main one. We land @ 9.30am in Geneva, so should get the afternoon on the slopes & fly back @ 9pm, so should get to ski most of that day as well.
We've been to Les Carroz for last couple of years, which we really love; nice quick transfer, great little town, linked to a big area etc but it might be time for a change, hence looking at La Clusaz, which does sound similar.
Having read some of the threads I really like the sound of the place however the downsides appears to be:
1) It’s altitude, has anyone skied there early January, were conditions ok?
2) Slow lifts, are they really that bad?
3) Limited area, didn’t look too bad for a four day trip when I looked at the piste map, but we do like to clock up the miles!?

As ever all advice & accommodation recommendations greatly received!

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the area is definitely big enough for 4 days skiing and you can ski le grand bornand too if you run out of pistes in la clusaz.
Can't remember a problem with the lifts but it is 9 yrs since my holiday there.
Altitude is a bit of a problem. There is a higher area in la clusaz, la balme I think which should have good snow cover. I remember skiing a bit of grass in the lower croix fry area!
We went early March and it was raining in the centre of the resort which was slightly depressing.
In January it would be colder so snow making more effective.
I'd give it a go for a 4 day break in Jan. If we return there for a week long holiday I would probably go in Feb for best chance of snow. Having said that people we know went in the Easter hols a few years ago and said there was plenty of snow so maybe we were unlucky in early march 2001.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm booked for 5 nights/ 5days skiing in Morzine the same week, from 3rd - 8th January, and am fairly confident of good snow and good skiing.

While I plan to stick to the 110km of Morzine/Les Gets, the whole PDS is available from Morzine too.

I've only skied Morzine / PDS in March before so perhaps someone with more experience of the area could put you right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lucan, Had a long weekend there about 4 yrs ago. Went in January and had great snow. Plenty of terrain to cover for 4 days. Stayed with these guys http://www.gravite.co.uk/. Nice chalet but about 5minutes drive out of the centre of La Clusaz. However, Dave was happy to run us to the main lifts in the minibus. There are a couple of decent looking hotels in the centre too btu can't remember their names soz. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed in hotel alpen roc and booked it directly. It was well located and we enjoyed our stay there. There is also hotel de beauregarde which has a slightly larger pool but is at the edge of the village and further from some of the lifts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Gang, much appreciated.

halfhand, I've been having a look at Gravite, although I think that they've changed their name to Snow Chalet now. Looks like a really good set up & there are some good reviews on here.
snowymum, Alpen Roc looks really nice, the fact that it's close to the slopes & town will go down well with the moaners I travel with, who hate any kind of walking of a morning, or of an evening or at any other time for that matter! rolling eyes

We'll probably make the final decision closer to the time depending on snow conditions as we shouldn't have much trouble finding accommodation anywhere in early Jan but La Clusaz is looking fave at present!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, I have spent the last 11 ski seasons based in La Clusaz and absolutely love the area. And January is generally my favourite month of the year, usually with many very cold days and fantastic snow. Plus hardly anybody on the slopes. The combined area of La Clusaz and Grand Bornand is covered under a single "Aravis" ski pass that provides 220km of skiing and 95 lifts and you are never very far away from miles of off piste. The snow record for the area is excellent and there is also a huge network of snow cannons. I know Dave (and Sam) from Snow Chalet and they always provide an absolute top level service from their lovely catered chalet. For self catered chalets check out www.laclusazchalets.com.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lucan, Would entirely agree with what TSquare, has said. Our apartment is in Chinaillon and we quite often take a day or two out of the week to go over to La Clusaz. Plenty to explore and we've certainly never encountered any serious issues snow-wise in January (or any other month come to that, but before I jinx the season, the usual caveat applies!). Have also skied in Les Carroz and from what I can remember I would say that La Clusaz is a bigger town. It is easy to get to and is about an hour and a half max from Geneva Airport - you should have a great time there.

TSquare, Just to pick up on your local knowledge, could you point me in the right direction for a bus/train service for my son to get back to Geneva from Le Grand Bornand in December? We can drive him to either La Clusaz or Thones or even Annecy but didn't particularly want to go all the way to the airport unless we have to! wink Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TSquare,
Thanks for the info. Liking the look of Chalet Panoramic!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with T Square - it's a top area, with a good snow record given its altitude. As it's at the edge of the alps it gets hit pretty hard when the weather comes in, and the snow making on the busiest slopes (particularly the return run under the Cret du Merle) is pretty good too. Would highly recommend it.

Whilst it is at risk of occasional rain in the village, the top half of the Aiguille and the Balme are both pretty snowsure. Also, whilst it doesn't have the huge amounts of skiing that some of the french mega-resorts have, it is spread out over a pretty wide area, and there is some very good off piste in the bits between the respective areas. For four days I think it is one of the best bets you'll come across.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loatie, there is a bus from Geneva to La Clusaz, you can find details here - http://www.gare-routiere.com Or there are a number of people who do transfers from about 25 Euros per person.
Lucan, I know Simon and Lisa who run Chalet Panoramic as well and can highly recommend their chalet as well. Great food, complimentary bar, hot tub, ski in / ski out and only 5 mins walk from the centre of town.
And to everyone - I would recommend 4 months rather than 4 days to truly get to know all that La Clusaz and Grand Bornand have to offer, I am still finding new routes to enjoy after 11 years. And if you like back country skiing, there are a number of absolutely fabulous ski guides here who will take you to some amazing areas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucan We stayed in La Clusaz for 5 days in mid January last year. No problem with snow - in fact we had one overnight dump resulting in a great powder day. Alpen Roc is not the greatest hotel in the world (and I've stayed there twice) as it sells itself to the corporate market but its location is great. The lifts are a bit slow in places but the main gondalas are fine and the skiing at La Balme is excellent.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tiger2,
Thanks for the info, the more I hear about the resort & ski area the more I'm liking the sound of it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy