Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll - January 2011

Poster: A snowHead
I'm returning to Austria (Soll) January 15th 2011, after a 20 odd year gap (skied Ellmau '87 and '88 ). Since then mainly skied in France and Italy (last trip was a great lads break to Andorra). This time my wife and daughters are coming along for the first time so I thought Austria, with it's shorter transfer times and sensible checkout times would be more child friendly and hence the place to go. As I said, Ellmau took my skiing cherry in '87 - it was absolutely perfect - the snow, the sunshine and scenery were completely breathtaking. It was so good we returned the following year, only to spend the week skiing in slush. I read about large investments in snow making in Soll and the surrounding area over the past years, so I was prepared to give it another go.

If anyone would care to share any recent Soll experiences/thoughts/suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to Scheffau in January too. The SkiWelt website boasts about extensive snowmaking but obviously this is only relevant if the temperature is cold enough for the snow guns to function. Like anywhere, snow conditions will always be a bit of a risk. I'm praying to the snow gods already. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, don't worry, they'll be blowing snow to help make the base hold better as soon as they can!

wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
queen bodecia, don't worry, they'll be blowing snow to help make the base hold better as soon as they can!

wink
That's reassuring!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, yes very reassuring! Thanks. I'm counting down the days already. Then when I get back from Scheffau I have a week in Kitzbuhel to look forward to as well. Very Happy

Speedfreak, enjoy!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Use the ski storage at the Gondola and NOT the one further down the hill.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't expect any problems with snow, though as others have reported on another recent thread about Scheffau, conditions might not always be perfect. However, I've always been able to ski around here at that time of year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Use the ski storage at the Gondola and NOT the one further down the hill.

Those are the kind of tips that prove very valuable. Thank you!! Is the storage at the Gondola cheaper, or simply closer to the action?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am guessing it wouldn't cheaper but probably worth the extra. check out website tho - http://www.sport-edinger.at/

Lower ski storage means a walk uphill in ski boots or the learners' draglift to reach the gondola. Edingers is in same building as gondola, it's warm, roomy, and not self-service. After a few days the guys get to know you and will hand out your boots and then give out skis when you are ready to go. Just a great service.

Talk about the lower one was that it was a bit of a scrum, crowded and chaotic. Only hearsay tho.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure you get over to the skiing in Westendorf too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really enjoyed soll last year and stayed in a great apartment 5 mins walk to the town. There's plenty of great priced restauraunts and bars with plenty of apres, though the same bands seem to do the rounds in all the bars throughtout the week.
The gondola ski garage is large warm and modern as others have said and save lugging your gear around. The night skiing was great with about 3 chairlifts and a gondola in use, though it costs a few bob extra on top of your ski pass.
We skiied ellmau a few times while we where there and found some great slopes and a superb mountain hut with delicious ribs , just off the main run down from the funicular.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One item that may be of interest to Söll fans: the main road that goes past the village, separating it from the skiing area, is currently being dug into an underpass. Work is still in progress but maybe it will be finished for the coming ski season. I assume the aim is to make it easier to get between the village and the lifts, for traffic and pedestrians (though it would be quite a way to walk). Do skiers walk up from the village?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Do skiers walk up from the village

We'll be staying in the Schindlhaus Apartments, which is a stones throw away from the main road - opposite the road leading up to the goldola station. We'll walk. Gets the blood flowing in preparation for a wonderful day on the slopes.

Quote:

the main road that goes past the village, separating it from the skiing area, is currently being dug into an underpass

Not sure how recent the map is, but if you check google maps, you'd be forgiven for thinking the underpass is already in place - check out 6 o'clock when looking at the crossroad where the main road and road to the gondola station meet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Speedfreak wrote:
We'll walk. Gets the blood flowing in preparation for a wonderful day on the slopes.

I like it Smile

Speedfreak wrote:
if you check google maps, you'd be forgiven for thinking the underpass is already in place

I think that's only when you use the default size. Zoom in and it looks like a road junction, which is how I remember it (the yellow colouring just means 'main road').
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Zoom in and it looks like a road junction, which is how I remember it (the yellow colouring just means 'main road').

Thanks espri. I understand that ok. But if you do zoom in as far as you can go, the junction looks like a 'X' - Wald being the main road going from SW to NE whilst Dorf / Stampfanger (the road to the gondola) goes from NW to SE. If you look at 6 o'clock under the 'X' there appears to be an underpass going under Wald.

The picture could be years old, so who knows. I'll post an update in January when I get back Very Happy

Thanks for letting us know about the ongoing work! It's much appreciated!
snow conditions
January should be fine for snow as it gets cold enough at that part of the season, but if the weather is warm try and avoid skiing the Brixen/Hopfgarten runs in the afternoon as they are south facing and can get really slushy.

I agree with the points about ski storage, it is the same price at the Gondola as down the hill but a much better service and better organised. They also warm your boots for you.

Oh and also, if they do it again this tear the igloo bar at the top of the Brixen gondola is well worth a visit. All of the seats are made out of snow, as is the bar outside the igloo. Excuse the pun, but it's really cool!
ski holidays
Wardster00 wrote:
Oh and also, if they do it again this tear the igloo bar at the top of the Brixen gondola is well worth a visit. All of the seats are made out of snow, as is the bar outside the igloo. Excuse the pun, but it's really cool!
Sounds like it's well worth a visit!
ski holidays
I went to Soll with a big group in March this year. It was fantastic. Beautiful scenery. Some amazing long and wide red runs. It was fairly warm when we were there for the first few days, so some of the runs did become a bit humpy. The low runs down to the towns were a little tricky too, very slushy, but still able to ski due to the exellent snow making facility. it got a bit cooler later in the week, and we got a fresh dump the day before we went home. Perfect skiing conditions. Amazing off piste. Couldn't have been better.

I guess, if you are going in January, it will be colder than March so the piste conditions should be better, even later in the afternoon.

Hope you enjoy your holiday!
snow report
Speedfreak, If you fancy a fancy meal, try the Kornkammer restaurant, just below the cable car station (http://www.kornkammer.at/). Doesn't look much from outside, but super food and service.
latest report
Folks, I can't tell you how happy I am I found this site. The advise and helpfulness of everyone has been fantastic. Thank you all very much!

Deerman - I will certainly give the Kornkammer a go. Thanks for taking the time to share this with everyone!
ski holidays
Folks, I know it's early October, but I just can't help visiting this site every day. I shouldn't be doing this to myself - the anticipation of waiting to see some of the good old white stuff is killing me!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/webcams/latest
ski holidays
Speedfreak, this one is better. I have it bookmarked already in anticipation.

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/winter/webcams.html
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Speedfreak, this one is better. I have it bookmarked already in anticipation.

Damn our work filter! That site is blocked in the office! I appreciate you sharing the link though - I'll check it out at home.
ski holidays
Looks like the cannons have just been switched on today Very Happy

ski holidays
Just finished working in Austria this summer and the underpass in question is actually going to be a tunnel for the main road to bypass Soll and there is noo way it will be ready for this coming winter.
latest report
If you want webcams for Soll try this, if you click the link to go back to the Tyrol it covers every resort in the area. Perfect for some daydreaming time at work.

The rest of the site also shows other webcams from across the world.

http://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_soell
snow report
I'm off out to Soll on 8 January - anyone else going that week ?
ski holidays
January 15th for me. First time skiing for my daughters. Hoping they get totally hooked!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5th Feb for me, looking forward to it. Went in 08 and loved it
snow report
i,m off 8 jan , first time in soll ,looking forward to it , where are you staying
snow conditions
Rebelski, I'll be out in Soll that week too - actually flying out Friday 3rd because of Sleazyjet's weird timetabling. Arranged trip myself: fly to Munich then train to Kufstein, and will be staying in Pension Family Feyersinger up in Pirchmoos

charlie26, Staying in Gast House Maximillian, also up in Pirchmoos, that week. Package deal with Crystal via Salzburg airport.
ski holidays
cant wait counting down the days. im there for new year.28th - 4th.bring on the snow. any tips on the best runs. where the best apres ski.
see you out there
snow conditions
My favourite web link over the past few weeks has been this one -
Smile

Shorty, the Salven Stadl is great for Apres Ski, Whiskey Muhle for the later action. With regards to the runs there are plenty to choose from, will have to familiarise myself with the piste map again before I go, barely covered half the ski welt last time I was there
latest report
looking at the piste map it looks like a large area but not very testing am i correct ,is the area good for just milage or is there anything testing thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
That would be a fair assessment charlie26, not sure what the off-piste is like though.
ski holidays
charlie26, I would try Black 45 on a cold morning if you want a challange but not many do. When you get there, there is a bail out left which most people take then say they have skied no45.
snow conditions
The wilderkaiser.info site says there's 65cm on snow on the mountain top. But snow-forecast.com warns of "Heavy rain (total 22.0mm), mostly on Mon night." What kind of damage can this do to the snow base?
ski holidays
Pleased to see all you guys loving Soll!!! I'll be there all season and was last year, anyone has any questions about it give me a shout Very Happy check out www.blacksheepski.co.uk for lessons and guiding and general info too. I've heard the snow is looking great already, will be there on the 15th so I'll keep you guys updated Smile
latest report
The SkiWelt site has a video clip (showing the new Osthangbahn in Scheffau) which gives some idea of how the conditions are in the area just now. Plenty skiers on the slopes.
ski holidays
Be careful on the red run home to the village. Gets very choppy and very busy late in the day, so when you do fall on a moguled bit (and you probably will) there are likely to be 20 people coming bombing straight behind you. Wife and kids may want to take gondola to base.

Toilets on the top resturant (Hohe Salve) are also worth a visit. one-way glass in the loos and a great vista
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy