Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Fall-Line mag out - October 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Was pleased to get my October 2010 copy of Fall-Line Skiing (& Snowboarding) through the letterbox today.

Lots of good stuff in there including this seasons hot 100 skis and was really pleased to see a fantastic cover photo from Scotland and a nice accompanying article - well done Fall-Line Very Happy

Details here, including small photo of the cover.

Original photos from the article taken by Fredrik Schenholm can be seen on his website here
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You know Winters on its way when Fall-Line arrives.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That the first of the season?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got mine through today too...great read, time to get thinking hard about the coming season
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, yup first of the season although it does seem a little later than usual.

Will we see you in gods own country this season CEM? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gives me a warm happy feeling inside to see Scotland on the front cover Very Happy
Team Svenska did a proper job capturing just how good Scotland can be when the tea-leaves align.
Guess you will have to buy the magazine to see what all the fuss is about!
But the 8 page spread on Scotland is something else Wink

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never seen this mag what's it like is it better than ski & Snowboard mag Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glen Charman, Much better.

I think te general consensus on here is aht it is the best UK ski magazine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
but if you're a snowboarder, whitelines is much better Wink.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glen Charman, chalk and cheese, chalk and cheese!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool, Fall Line has it's flaws gear reviews wise, but everything else is very good. Much the best of the UK magazines, I'll be heading to WH Smiths soon!

Haggis_Trap, pretty ballsy entry on the second picture!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlock235 wrote:
but if you're a snowboarder, whitelines is much better Wink.

Agree to that. Which reminds me, must get my subs in...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine arrived today Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely better than the daily mail mag, which just seems to be the same articles regurgitated each season. And there's never any world cup stuff in it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DMS&S is for holidaymakers.

Fall-Line is for skiers (& snowboarders)!

nuff said!
snow report
i used to prefer document snowboard to whitelines. at the end of the last season they started producing a skiers mag in which they hope to introduce people to snowboarding. my point? i don't think people who only snowboard appreciate their poor efforts for that section of the new style mag, and i think a lot of snowboarder-only readers will have moved over to whitelines.
snow report
sherlock235, the snowboard content is very light and I'd be surprised if any boarders who have given it a go don't move to Whitelines ... the ski stuff is good though!
ski holidays
DCMT was exactly the same as Fall Line, except an office intern used to search and replace in MS Word to substitue "ski" for "snowboard" ten minutes before it went to the printers. So you could always buy Fall Line, tippex out all mentions of "skis" and write the word "snowboard" over the top in biro. Hope this helps.
snow report
Bit harsh Mr Technique, the (admittedly) few issues I bought between SUK folding and DCMT being borg'd into Fall-line were alright.
latest report
Mr Technique, i never read fall-line when it was a ski mag, so i can't compare the two. but the snowboarding content of fall-line s&s is rather poor.
snow report
I bought DMS&S today because Fall Line wasn't in WH Smiths and it was a total waste of 4 quid (but you already knew that).
ski holidays
Last year I kept trying to buy one in various branches of Smiths, but no luck anywhere. I wonder if it will be the same this year. I don't really want to subscribe.
ski holidays
Hurtle, i know the large wh smith in victoria station stocks them, but you have to go onto your knees and flip through all the other surfing and skateboarding mags in front of the pile of dms&s. maybe they hide them so only the really determined get a copy. (or you could just ask one of the assistants to do the fumbling for you wink. )
ski holidays
Hurtle, it aint for you old girl. Itz for da yoof...

Actually this issue is great on Scotland, but the shoehorning of the Boarder stuff in the back is clumsy. I have cancelled my DD.
ski holidays
I subscribed for a year, but to be honest, it's not for me...
snow conditions
What is the price of the mag now per month ?
snow report
Chris Brookes, £3.95
ski holidays
BTW, Schenholm made a new blog post on the 20th September, posting one of his photos used in Fall-Line as his Image of the Week #4:
Quote:
Per Jonsson skiing in the Ben Nevis ski resort in Scotland. Here, the snow was super cold with a beautiful and magic cloud layer in the horizon. We could never even have dreamt about the conditions Scotland offered us last February. Fresh snow, blue sky and cold temperatures. Steep, exciting mountains and friendly people. What else could we ever have asked for? To be honest, we didn't expect the Scottish mountains to look this big. And with these conditions, Scotland for sure keeps up with some of the best resorts in the Alps. It snowed before we came, and it snowed after we left. This is a trip I will never forget!

Impressive comments from someone who skied and climbed some of the highest ranges and mountains in the world, including Everest!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga wrote:
Chris Brookes, £3.95

Ta
snow conditions
Ah, just picked this up. Points about snowboarding are valid in terms of the current mag - there isn't as much as we'd like in this one. The split in the upcoming Gear Guide is about 67/33, so it's more in balance. Out of interest according to our fairly consistent research online and as a questionnaire the reader split is 80/20 and the ad split is 100/0...
Snowboarders now tend to be mainly online with a bit of support for mags; the migration has been dramatic over two years with all the newsstand mags bar Whitelines popping their clogs. Document was our biggest earner for about five years in terms of readers and ads, though subscriptions were very price-driven and nowhere near Fall-Line levels. Our fault for being sluggish with online.
An interesting point about the mags being the same. There were two separate teams making them, with different editors, designers and contributors producing different content. At least that's what I paid for... Oh well.
Over the season we think the snowboarders who like the travel, most of the gear (apart from the skis, I'm guessing) and other stuff will enjoy it - we've got a significant minority who already buy Fall-Line for that. Time will tell, but (very) initial sales are up year on year.
We were chuffed to bits to be able to use a Scottish front cover and main feature, by the way.
ski holidays
i'll be picking my copy up this weekend... looking forward to it.

it is quite amazing how the internet has done away with so many magazines (not just snow sports). being someone who designs stuff for print for a living, i think it's a very very sad way that things are going... not that it matters i suppose, as the chinese are nicking all the paper anyway!
latest report
That's why paper prices have gone up again. And again. Mind you, the printers seem to be busy - anyone over 30(ish) like holding magazines, still. Not that I've got an iPad yet. I can't put my mug on it.
snow report
yep... three major paper price rises in the past year! i know a few printers who are as quiet as they have ever been... should start picking up again soon though.
snow report
Does Fall-Line offer a subscription discount for Snowheads Puzzled
snow report
I take that as a no then..... Sad Sad
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, give him a chance.... he probably went home about 15mins after posting his comment and doesn't think work 100% of the time when at home with the family
snow conditions
Quote:

it is quite amazing how the internet has done away with so many magazines (not just snow sports). being someone who designs stuff for print for a living, i think it's a very very sad way that things are going... not that it matters i suppose, as the chinese are nicking all the paper anyway!

Tbh, I much prefer having a paper magazine to read. Doesn't stop me geeking out on the internet, and in my currently inebriated state I can't explain why, but hard paper copy is better.
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
I subscribed for a year, but to be honest, it's not for me...

Since they haven't bothered sending me the t-shirt, googles, etc I'm feeling the same way!
snow conditions
fallliner wrote:
That's why paper prices have gone up again. And again. Mind you, the printers seem to be busy - anyone over 30(ish) like holding magazines, still. Not that I've got an iPad yet. I can't put my mug on it.

I've only just got round to getting an iPhone so reading a mag digitally is a long way off. Just have to hope WL keeps printing.....

It's a shame in a way that snowboarding is so 'yoof' and has engaged the digital side of things so quickly - like you say, there's nothing better than holding a mag and feeling the paper. I'm 31 but when i head down Tamworth of Mk for a board I feel 131, there's that much of a gap in attitude, mentality and language between myself and kid in their teens. But, things move on and hopefully there weren't any/many job losses at the mag.
snow report
Media becoming more digitalised has nothing to do with the "yoof". What an odd thing to say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy