Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about boot warmers...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia, yes, mine are thermics - can never remember the difference. If you buy a pack like this http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product289.html you can just put the heating bits into your existing insoles - I was glad to let someone who knew what they were doing do it, but I had done it myself previously with an old insole. You slide the heating element between the two layers.

The wires are pretty vulnerable - the join between the wire itself and the little terminal - and completely impossible to fix if you rip them, as I have several times. I have a battery pack which you recharge - far better than the ones using separate AA batteries, which are the cheapest. I used to have those, several years ago.

Surely your menopausal symptoms don't have you keeping warm all the time? I agree that hot flashes are a complete pain, but in between you can feel quite cold and shivery? I remember going up a long drag lift in a very cold wind, really chilly, then having a very well timed one which kept me toasty to the top. wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, thanks. Dreading the thought of getting the liners and footbeds out of and back into my boots again, can these insoles be fitted without doing that? You're right that the wires look a bit vulnerable and the rechargeable packs look better. I like the thought of boot dryers too but since I usually rent lockers for my equipment rather than lugging it about from lifts to hotel via several bars, they're probably no use to me.

And yes I alternate between too hot or too cold with very little middle ground. Mostly it's when I'm moving about I get uncomfortably hot and also during the night. During the day sat still at work in a dark air-conditioned room I'm always freezing!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, are the lockers you rent heated? if not that maybe one of the issues with putting on cold boots first thing?

Removing liners/footbeds is actually not that hard, with a bit of leverage...I'll see if I can find some pics/video on how to do it, you should be removing the liners and footbeds to dry after a weeks holiday anyhow....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, it varies from resort to resort. They were brilliant in Courmayeur, with heated prongs in each locker to store the boots on. In La Thuile it was just a heated room with lockers in it but seemed to do the job of drying the boots out OK (and was uncomfortably warm inside with all your ski gear on!).

My boots are still really stiff, I guess they will gradually loosen up with use. At the moment it's a tough job just getting them on and off my feet, I haven't dared attempt getting the liners or footbeds in or out by myself.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia,

I've got a small portable ski boot dryer that has a two prong plug and looks something like this ....
http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/graphics/00000001/drystix.jpg
Doesn't take up much room and weighs very little but makes sure your boots are dry.

Just in case you didn't known - when putting boots on a ski room dryer the toes should be up in the air otherwise the water drains into the toe area and the warmer dry air doesn't circulate well into the toe area.

e.g.
http://www.hausauer.at/custom/tn_trockner.JPG

http://www.montana-international.com/Portals/31/images/ABS/BootDryer_TOP_1_B200.jpg

I'm always amazed how many people hang them the wrong way up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, do you have to plug the portable dryers in somewhere or are they rechargeable? I don't ever remember seeing plug sockets in boot locker rooms. Plus most lockers you just have to store them standing upright, only the ones in Courmayeur were a bit more sophisticated.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia,

Yes you have to plug them in. If there's no space on the dryer or the ski locker room doesn't have a decent dryer I use my plug in dryer. If there isn't a plug free in the locker room I usually dry them overnight in the hotel bathroom because there's normaly a plug there and the room is ventilated. One stick goes into each boot pushed up to the toe while the boot stands with the sole flat on the floor.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, I tend to use ski/boot lockers at lift base stations so plugging boot dryers in isn't going to be an option for me. Never mind. Boot warmers with rechargeable batteries sounds an adequate alternative.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i take my thermic heaters with me everywhere and use em after each day in the freezer..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use a thermic setup every time I put my race boots on. I find they work to a certain temp and after that you get one patch of your foot that is burning but your feet are so cold its hard to tell if its burning hot or freezing cold. So when its 0 to round -15 thats ok, after -15 they become less effective and dont seem to warm the whole foot, but I just have the small pad that goes down near the toe, not a full heated insole which I reckon would be the ideal solution as then you would never even need the NO.3 setting which is very very hot!

Also for battery life they last better with each use and life-wise if you keep the battery somewhere warmer than the side of the boot. Its not expensive for extension cables on they massively increase the lifespan of the battery if you keep it in a jacket pocket or pants pocket.

Generally, I would say they are worth it. Having cold feet is rubbish!

Another point, I have never needed them in my freeskiing boots, just the race boot as circulation is bad and the liner is incredibly thin, and the shell doesnt have the tightest seal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R555MAC wrote:
I use a thermic setup every time I put my race boots on. I find they work to a certain temp and after that you get one patch of your foot that is burning but your feet are so cold its hard to tell if its burning hot or freezing cold. So when its 0 to round -15 thats ok, after -15 they become less effective and dont seem to warm the whole foot, but I just have the small pad that goes down near the toe, not a full heated insole which I reckon would be the ideal solution as then you would never even need the NO.3 setting which is very very hot!

Glad I am not the only one to experience the burning sole, I thought it was me/my numb feet/my set-up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy