Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of a three nighter first weekend in December. Never been to Austria. Anyone recommend accomm? Dont even know where I should fly to Puzzled All info welcome, ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tux, tux, Hintertux...

Fly to Innsbruck.

Hintertux is at the head of quite a narrow valley. There are several big hotels at Hintertux itself, there is more accommodation in the villages a bit down the valley (Juns, Madseit, Lanersbach and Vorderlanersbach) and it's often slightly cheaper and smaller. All the villages and Hintertux itself are connected by an efficient shuttle coach service. I like the Lanersbacherhof which is very friendly and has great food and wine.

There's normally good apres at the Hohenhaus Tenne, also worth looking into the Hexen Kessel.

On the mountain do go for lunch at the Gletscherhutte and the Spannagelhaus.

For more info:

http://www.zillertal.at/index.php
http://www.tux.at/en/infos/home.html
http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/
http://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/

http://youtube.com/v/JZw0WBHjl-Y

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen, that song is terrible rolling eyes Where the hell did you dig that up?

other than that : wot nozawaonsen, said!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, that is so cheesy - GEIL!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, fly to Munich (because late flights outa there mean you can ski nearly all day on last day). Hire car (make sure it's an on-airport one) and drive to Hintertux (look at a map). Best hotel nearest luft is Gletscher Spa Neu Hintertux, followed by Rindererhof.

A tad further away look at Klausnerhof (cos they've refurbed it really well) or Hohenhaus. Or Bad Hotel Kirchler. All have pools except Rindererhof. All have spas.

Worst possible news... I'm there then!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.....you would obviously have to buy me a birthday drink.

I have heard Tignes is good though.... wink ...am in two minds Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shimmy Alcott

Despite having an apartment in Tignes, I'm spending my birthday weekend in early December in Austria. I love Tignes but Austria can't be beaten for ambience - and apres ski, especially for a birthday or special occasison. The Hohenhaus Tenne at the bottom of the slopes at Hintertux is absolutely bouncing on a weekend!

If you do go to Austria, don't forget you could also ski at Kaprun, Stubai, Soelden, Pitztal, Kaunertal or Dachstein Glaciers - or at Zugspitz Glacier in Germany, which can do en route to Austria from Munich. You're a bit spoiled for choice really!

As you've never been, you couldn't go wrong with Hintertux though. Mayrhofen is the main valley town, about 2 hrs from Munich airport and then a further half hour drive to the glacier. It's quite a big town , with a great selection of places to eat out and drink.

Driving up to the glacier, you pass through much smaller villages - eg Finkenberg, Vorderlanasbach, Lanersbach and Hintertux itself. All have accommodation and much quieter nights out than Mayrhofen. The Ziller Valley has a massive range of accommodation - from 25 or 30 euro farmhouse B&Bs to 5 star luxury.

Out of the main season (like in early Dec!) you can get a really nice 3*hotel (with spa etc) for about 40 euros a night Very Happy - details somewhere in my big pile of ski leaflets rolling eyes ....Can dig 'em out if you wish.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, Ooo, yes please. Great info thanks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thing to watch out for in early December in the Tirol is Krampus... Especially on 05 December... Devils, witches, fireworks, large bells, drunken mischief etc etc.

Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, if you do dig those details out, can you post them please. Currently looking for places to visit for my annual Snovember weekend, and 'tux is a distinct possibility...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen, that's where you need to cover your face in boot polish, right? Love the Austrians...they're entirely mental Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ChrisWo, many Austrian's tend to go a bit further than just boot polish... Cool

Full masks, claws, bells, furry costumes, flaming torches etc... Aimed at scaring children and er chasing maidens later in the evening... After a jaeger or two...

If your looking for somewhere to stay as I said above I'd recommend the Lanersbacherhof. Great food and a fantastic wine cellar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen, nice photo! When I was last in Austria (Kitzbuhel) for Krampus there were loads of locals wandering around dressed up (as above) and chasing (and hitting) people with bunches of sticks (á la witches' brooms)...once they'd beaten the evil spirits (sambuca, presumably) out of you they smeared boot polish on your face to mark you as 'clean'. Hence if you wanted to avoid a close encounter with a broomstick you smeared your own face in polish!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not my photo as it happens! (have to credit MSN for that one)

That sounds pretty much on the mark... Can be quite startling when they thunder out of nowhere if you are not expecting it and start hitting people!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott,

I second Hintertux!

We have skiied there over a dozen times (mostly out of the winter season) and it's our favourite glacier area. It's a lovely valley to stay in and (as Mountainaddict says) I'd recommend Mayrhofen as a base for your first visit. A half hour drive from the glacier and a pleasant town to stay in, with lots of nice, cheap B & B's.

You wouldn't need to book accommodation in advance. If you go to the tourist office they will fix you up with a good deal. Alternatively (as we do) you can just turn up and knock on doors. We've never struggled to find accommodation.

We are heading there for a couple of days in 5 weeks' time. Our preference however is to stay a bit higher up the valley, towards the glacier. We usually stay in Lanersbach, which is only a 10 minute drive to the skiing. Again, we just turn up and knock on the doors of small guesthouses with "Zimmer Frei" signs outside and usually end up with en suite rooms for about €35 or less each. Can't wait! Very Happy

Oh, and as Mountainaddict also says:-

- the apres ski in the Hohenhaus (in the glacier carpark) at Hintertux is not to be missed - particularly on a weekend. It's an amazing building and the internal decor is fantastic - like an old Austrian barn.
- the Zugspitze glacier in Garmisch is also worth a trip. Only about one and a quarter hours from Munich airport so worth visiting on your way to or from Austria.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Shimmy AlcottIf you do go to Austria, don't forget you could also ski at Kaprun, Stubai, Soelden, Pitztal, Kaunertal or Dachstein Glaciers - or at Zugspitz Glacier in Germany, which can do en route to Austria from Munich. You're a bit spoiled for choice really!

Out of the main season (like in early Dec!) you can get a really nice 3*hotel (with spa etc) for about 40 euros a night Very Happy - details somewhere in my big pile of ski leaflets rolling eyes ....Can dig 'em out if you wish.

Add Molltal to that list.

All the accommo is listed on www.tux.at
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
.....you would obviously have to buy me a birthday drink.
I'm not that easy. Oh, alright then.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

That is actually quite a flattering picture of David E Goldsmith.
ski holidays
Hintertux is ace. Really really ace.

Stay in Mayrhofen and commute though.
ski holidays
Anoother vote for Hintertux here, though we found it impossible to get a flight to Innsbruck (was 6 / 7 years ago though)
snow conditions
Mr Technique, commute 1 1/2 hours each way? Why would you do that?
snow report
Or to look at it another way, 25 minutes.
snow report
Just to be clear I was advocating motorized transport, not going there on a space hopper.
snow conditions
Mr Technique, hahaha, fair enough, my memory is obviously more hazy than previously estimated. I now have a brilliant image of lot's of skiers, planks strapped to their back, bouncing up the road.

Still, 25 minute commute is a fair amount when there's plenty of accommodation in situ. I love Mayrhofen, don't get me wrong, but...
ski holidays
For an hour and a half you could stay in Innsbruck and commute, just about.

Mayrhofen is a smashin little busy town. For the sake of a few minutes on a bus at the start and end of the day I reckon it's a more interesting place for a bit of the old Apres.

Hintertux the town looked a bit... naff. Isn't it pretty much just a big car park and a lift pass kiosk?
snow report
Quote:

Hintertux the town looked a bit... naff. Isn't it pretty much just a big car park and a lift pass kiosk?

yes, if you ignore four big hotels, two big ski shops a mini mart and a huge apres-ski bar.
snow report
I was ignoring al of those things as my only business there was parking the car and buying a lift pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique wrote:

But that's not Hintertux! It's just the roadhead. The main part of the village is ten minutes walk away - in the left of this photo:

snow report
altis, and in the middle you can just make out the blue of possibly the coldest outdoor pool on earth. I visited it once (in July) and nearly died.

To be fair, neither hamlet is exactly leaping with atmosphere once darkness falls and the Hohenhaus Tenne chucks out.

Nice pic but makes the mountains appear smaller than they are.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
altis, and in the middle you can just make out the blue of possibly the coldest outdoor pool on earth. I visited it once (in July) and nearly died...

We went there one August and on the first day when it was reasonably sunny wondered why there was no-one in it... then we found out why Shocked
latest report
Ray Zorro, my nether regions have still not quite recovered. Thing is, it looks so clean and inviting so you just dive in.
snow report
Mr Technique wrote:
Or to look at it another way, 25 minutes.

I am really fancying Tux also. Is it really 30mins from Mayrhofen or is that in a car and is actually 45 minutes as the bus fannies about?
snow conditions
I'd say at least 30 mins by car, possibly a little bit more, depending on traffic. It's quite a steep and narrow road. By bus it would definitely be longer, more like 45 mins depending on the time of day.

http://www.tux.at/en/informationarrival/bus-taxi.html

I'd probably suggest staying nearer the lift at Tux or one of the other villages on the way up. You can party pretty hard at Hohenhaus Tenne... Very Happy

But obviously if you want a bit more proximity to town you are going to have to accept commuting (and remember if you are going up to the glacier you have got several lifts to ascend as well which adds time...)
ski holidays
The free bus only goes as far as Vorderlanersbach and takes 20 minutes:

http://www.tux.at/fileadmin/PDF/Busplaene/SportbusHerbst25.09.-18.12.10.pdf
http://www.tux.at/fileadmin/PDF/Busplaene/SportbusWinter19.12.-01.05.11.pdf
snow report
nozawaonsen, this summer I was doing Mayrhofen to the lift in Tux in 20 mins dead by car. "steep" "narrow" - certainly neither.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
But obviously if you want a bit more proximity to town you are going to have to accept commuting (and remember if you are going up to the glacier you have got several lifts to ascend as well which adds time...)
but not much time when compared to other glaciers. Three fast gondolas to the very top - maybe 20 mins. Time it wrong in Tignes and you'll still be in the queue at the very bottom.
ski holidays
copied this from another post i did a few weeks back. and just to add to previous posts re travelling from mayrhofen everyday, I personally wouldnt do it as its a fairly good trek. here's the previous post from this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1574453&highlight=#1574453 ---our group has skied about 15 different resorts in 12 years never going back to the same resort, except this year we are returning to lanersbach about 4 miles from hintertux. its a nice compact village with a few bars and some very nice restaurants one of which does an all you can eat buffet fro 15 euro. price of a pint is 3-4eu.
we say in apartments with 6 day passi ncl for less than 400eu. even though I tried very hard i couldnt spend more than 250 eu for the whole week! we did the whole trip everthing incl accom, lift pass, transfer from munich, flights, ski hire (good quality skis and boots for 70eu) insurance, 700 euro total.
i cant understand why prices are so low here as it has everything, incl garanteed snow, fantastic food and drink, great links into the ski area, very friendly locals etc etc. volderlanersbach is just 2 min away but does not have the same ski resort atmosphere. www.gudrun.at were the apartments we stayed in just next to the lifts and ski back to door in the evening.
LANERSBACH MAGIC.---
latest report
Bode Swiller, sure, but the summer traffic tends to be less and getting up there in the morning for the lift even in early season with everyone else and finding somewhere to park all adds up. 20 mins or 30 mins... if you can do it in 20 great, my point really being that it will be less if you are closer than if your are further away. Hence why I'd suggest staying somewhere closer than Mayrhofen. But like I said some people may prefer to stay in a bigger town.

Similarly the lift... my point simply being that if you had already driven up from Mayrhofen getting to Hintertux still meant a lift journey, which just makes your overall time from leaving your hotel to getting on the slopes longer than if you were staying at Tux or one of the next door villages like Lanersbach. And I've been in several lengthy scrums to get onto the lift in Hintertux as well...

I agree it's not especially steep or narrow compared to many mountain roads, and I did said "quite" not "very," (wink) but nor is the whole run flat as you wind up through Finkenberg. It can be a bit of a drag if you are stuck behind a coach. Perhaps a little bit windy in parts may be a better description.

And of course if you drive up in a car then the driver can't party so hard at the Hohenhaus which would be a shame...

You are quite right about some of the smart hotels up near the lift. Some great facilities. If you have the money a very nice way to do it. Smile
latest report
Just bumping.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy