Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GAP Courses for the next season 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for to spend a season in resort but I want to qualify as instructor before the end of season. I like professional company but also like good nightlife with fun. Can you recommend resort in Europe. Thanks Sonya Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sonyafreeman wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for to spend a season in resort but I want to qualify as instructor before the end of season. I like professional company but also like good nightlife with fun. Can you recommend resort in Europe. Thanks Sonya Very Happy

Most resorts in Austria have good nightlife, as do many of the larger French resorts. In Italy try Sauze d'Oulx and Madonna di campiglio. In Switzerland you get what you pay for although Verbier (last time I was there) wasn't too costly, if you shop around for which bar to stop at, the same goes for Zermatt. If you pick a resort you think you may like, then post a few questions about that resort then someone will come along with lots of local info.

As for the becoming an instructor bit, as you are from Denmark you could contact http://www.dapsi.dk - Or if you're looking at the British system, there are some BASI trainers (they are the people who train British ski teachers) who are snowHead's so maybe they will come along soon with a little advice on that. Or you could just contact BASI and see if they can give you some advice. Also, some people on here have expereince with Gap Year courses, so that may be a way to go. Join a Gap Year course and I think (though not sure) you get the cert at the end (well the assessment anyway).

Good luck

EDIT
Try this link and then you could contact any of the schools for more information
http://www.basigap.com/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have a personal message Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look at Peak Leaders, one month course in St Anton gets you qualified (Austrian Anwarter) before Christmas, and they sort a job for you with the ski school (with accomm) for the rest of the season. Worked well for me.

Also a couple of Danish coleagues from Saalbach did some sort of pre-season thing which was very similar but with a Danish company. Others just applied to the ski school, then upon passing the anwarter started working in Saalbach. Could be worth emailing the school (Furstauer) to find out if they still take applicants like that. The anwarter by itself is 550 euros (I think).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at the pro ski website (www.proskitraining.com). It might tick the right boxes. Great value GAP programme, qualify in the season with either BASI or CSIA and a rocking night life.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sonyafreeman, do you know if you specifically want to do a gap year training course, or do you just want to do a season and gain your instructor qualifications along the way? If it's the fomer then you may also consider looking at the following website, which has details of BASI's official gap year partner courses:

http://www.basigap.com/

There are also operators who offer courses which give you the BASI qualification.

If you do not want to do a gap year course, and this may be the case if you already ski to the standard required, you can do the standalone qualifications. For BASI this starts with the 5 day level 1 course, (+ first aid, criminal records check and 35 hours shadowing), after which you need to do another 35 hours shadowing (or 35 hours teaching - but with L1 you can only work on artificial slopes). Then you take the two week L2 course, successful completion of which qualifies you to work in the mountains, local country laws permitting. You can find the dates for both courses and the various resorts they're held in on the BASI website:

http://www.basi.org.uk/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What does GAP stand for? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jonm, don't think it stands for anything. I believe it refers to the "gap" between school and uni, uni and work, work and work etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, ah of course. Obvious now I've read the actual messages... It was very late and I'd had a few shandies Smile I thought it might have been an acronym for something but couldn't imagine what.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your motivation is to becomea ski instructor with the intention of it being your long term career, then basi is a great option. It is a long expensive road to get to full cert but the financial rewards are very good when finished. If you want to get a good instructor qualification at reasonable cost and work with the option of taking it further in the future then CSIA ( Canadian system) is the way to go. It also helps if you know what country you would prefer to end up in.
If your a pretty good skier you may not need to do a full gap course. Probably just ongoing training with lots of regular input from a coach or trainer. The problem I have seen in the past with this is the trainee passing the skiing well but struggling with the teaching side of things.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank You Henry Snow. I think that the BASI look like more expensive and not so simple, much bureaucratic! do to take the courses. I am looking for location in Europe and like the idea of the training before I had to choice make for the system Canadian ski examinations or the BASI. Thank You!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sonyafreeman, the reason the BASI system may appear complex is that it meets the requirements of the ISIA and France and Italy, so it gives fully qualified members broad career options. As Henry Snow says if your intention is to make a full time career from ski teaching, particularly in Europe, then BASI is arguably the best option. If you want to do a Gap course more for the experience itself then which qualification is less relevant.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you beanie1, could you tell me in estimation how many time and how many cost to be fully qualified member with the BASI?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sonyafreeman, the length of time it would take to become fully qualified with BASI would vary depending on your current technical level and how much time you are able to devote to training, but I'd estimate between 3 - 6 years. In terms of cost, again it can vary depending on how much training you need to do and if you are already based in resorts where the courses are run or need to travel from overseas but it is a significant amount of money tha amounts to many thousands of pounds. You should bear in mind that in countries such as France the L4 and equivalent is viewed as comparable to a university degree in terms of the time, skill and effort needed to get there. It is only worth aiming for L4 if you see it as a career, and once you are there the job opportunities are numerous .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your looking for a career as a ski instructor in Europe then you really need to look at a European system that leads to ISIA (and beyond in some cases). The two english speaking systems in Europe that are fully ISIA recognised are www.BASI.org.uk and www.iasisnowsports.ie

The north American systems are all very good, however can be a problem when you need to revalidate. I have a few CSIA instructors that work for me who are now looking to swap to a Europen system for this reason.

PSG
ski holidays
hey,

I personally did a BASI gap year (9 years ago now!) and it was the best thing I ever did!

Originally it meant to be "gap year" before I went to university and now i'm going into my 10th season having gone through the BASI system, set up a Ski School (the development centre, Tignes) and a Gap year programme myself in Tignes, France.

Pros and cons of doing a gap year.

The only down side to Gap years are that they are a relatively expensive way of gaining ski instructor qualifications as you are paying for an extensive period of time in the mountains, (however if you compare it to the cost of a 10 week all inclusive holiday it isn't as bad as it first seems!)

Doing a gap year as opposed to doing the BASI modules individually allows you to get a true feel of doing a ski season and what seasonal and ski instructing life is all about. Which then allows you to make a decision, it is for you or not! It puts you in the thick of things and gives you time in resort in a non exam atmosphere (which can be a stressfull time!!!!!!) and the obvious points of gaining time on the hill and the quality training hours to make you a better skier.

When chosing a gap year, be sure to look into the following as many that claim to be "all inclusive gap years" aren't as "all inclusive" as it first seems, (eg. food on the hill might not be included or might just be snack meals, evening meals might not be included 7 nights/week etc). These might be deemed as small things but over a period of time with resort prices it soon adds up!

Hope this helps,

benharriski
snow report
Hi There. Try new Gen in Courchevel and Meribel. Part of BASI gap. I hope this helps
latest report
sonyafreeman, you could also try: http://www.becomeaskiinstructorinspain.com who have just launched a 10 week BASI L1 and L2 course based in Baqueria.
snow conditions
sonyafreeman, If you're keen to find out more info before committing you could go along to one of the BASI Gap open days which are being held as follows.

15 - 18th Sept Milton Keynes Centre

19th Sept Tamworth Snowdome

22 - 25th Sept Manchester Chill Factor
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy