Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste/carving ski

Poster: A snowHead
Right, I'm shaping up for my last season being based very close to the Alps, I really prefer to spend my time off piste, but conditions, and ski buddies dont always allow. I'm sorted with off piste skis, but I've fallen abit out of love with my old all mountain/piste skis. I have a '01 pair of salomon x-screams and a '08 pair of scott neos. The x-screams have seen quite alot of skiing, 100+days, and have started to chatter quite badly when skiied at speed. The Neo's I just never seem to have got on with very well.

I spent a few days on some salomon Tornado Ti's 2 years ago, and its something like this I'm looking for. Ideally medium turn radius not a slalom ski, and something that will be very quick edge to edge, with good stability at speed. I'm about 70kg, 170cm, ski aggresivley. If anyone has recommendations I'm keen to hear them Very Happy

Cheers

Mark
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
powdermutt, what about some faux GS race skis?

Stores are starting to get next years kit in, so should be a few bargains about. Sports Conrad have some in their sale.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at the Storm range. They're making some great piste skis and i hear good things about the inferno.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I think thats the kind of thing I'm after but I'm fairly clueless on them. I've heard some good things about the Volkl racetigers, I'm guessing most of these will ski fairly similarily with roughly the same radius and sidecuts? Are any of the manufacturers known for making stiffer skis?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salomon aero X are a great piste ski with unbelievable grip
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nordica firearrow is truly amazing and looks the nuts! I didn't stop smiling when i was skiing it on the piste, loads of grip and loads of pop out the turn! everytime i came out of a turn I felt like I was a foot in the air! great ski!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(i'm meaning the firearrow 80 btw)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
powdermutt, Storm Inferno Race is excellent but only comes in a 11m slalom radius. Stockli Lasers have always been superb & come in both slalom & GS guises if you want a longer turn radius.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
powdermutt, why not slalom? I massively prefer my SLs to my GSs for kicking around on piste.

Don't get a detuned ski, get full on race. You won't be disappointed. Any FIS race ski will be fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies.

I fancy a GS ski because rightly or wrongly I find it easier to make short radius turns on a long radius ski than vica versa. Does that make sense to anyone?! Also, of the limited selection I've skiied, the GS ones felt more stable.

So if I'm going down a piste only, GS turn radius ski does anyone have anymore recommendations? Or even better, have some they want to sell?!

Cheers

Mark
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
powdermutt, Nope, makes no sense to me.

If you're forcing a GS ski into a short turn then you're either working really, really hard or you're skidding. Neither sounds ideal to me.

I know of a couple of pairs of GS sticks in Chamonix, including the legendary and somewhat suicidal_by_reputation 2007 Nordica GS-Rs.

Sport Conrad had IIRC some cheap Blizzard Magnesiums last year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
powdermutt, I'd recommend just getting some lessons rather than worrying about skis...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've spent the last 3 seasons in Tignes and after the first season and a half on Scott Missions decided I wanted some piste-only skis as well. Bought some Nordica Speedmachine Mach 2. Spent half last season on The Nordicas, the other half on the Missions, depending on conditions, ski buddies, etc. The Nordicas are great, love them. Good grip, lots of pop out of the turn. 15M radius for my 170s. OK for cruising as well as blasting. If you want to go more GS and/or agressive, try the Dobermann.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
powdermutt, I'd recommend just getting some lessons rather than worrying about skis...

by all accounts he has probably skied more than you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, sounds like he hasn't had enough lessons though... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
under a new name, you touting for business ???
snow conditions
Rossi Zenith's (my ski) or Nordica DOberman Spitfires (scarry little critters) Happy If I was as good as you I'd ge the Nordica's but I'm not so I got the Rossi's Happy
Mach2's are good as well (I demo'd lots last year) Salomon Tornado's are nice too.

cheers
Bob
ski holidays
CEM, ah, no, not my thing. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
under a new name, do you teach?
snow report
Mosha Marc, no... why?
snow report
This exchange

under a new name wrote:
CEM, sounds like he hasn't had enough lessons though... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

CEM wrote:
under a new name, you touting for business ???

I thought you'd added a new string to your bow snowHead
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, just being cheeky thank you... NehNeh
ski holidays
powdermutt, will PM you
snow report
DaveC, under a new name, sorry my poor literary skills have backed you into the corner of suggesting that I need more lessons, for that I can only apologise wink . What I should have said above is that I want a GS ski, because the turn radius complements my skiing style, whilst some people seem to still think you should ski all types of terrain on one set of skis I tend to find its more enjoyable if you have the correct tool for the job.

Im starting to draw up a list now, but anymore more suggestions of GS skis are appreciated

Cheers

Mark
snow report
The first five skis in this German test

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-4-2009/179457.html
ski holidays
Stockli Laser GS.
Or the softer and more shapely Laser SC (this is my all time favorite on piste ski).

I demoed Elan GS skis too but found them to be hard work. At lower speeds they didn't want to do anything.
snow conditions
powdermutt wrote:
............complements my skiing style........

So tempting, sooooooo tempting Twisted Evil
snow report
Volkl Racetiger.

The best skis I've ever had on my feets. Handses down.

The GS ones I think it was (they do a few variants).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Don't get a detuned ski, get full on race. You won't be disappointed. Any FIS race ski will be fun above 30mph.

Corrected for you Smile FIS GS skis don't really work until that sort of speed.
ski holidays
I had a few days on K2 Apache Crossfires a couple of years ago and was blown away with the performance... so smooth, fast, grippy, stable. You may be able to get a pair somewhere for a lot of money off! Also, if you're looking to buy 2nd hand, take a look at the Fischer AMC series from a couple of years ago as well. I had the AMC79 (bought 2nd hand on here) and they were great at high speed big carved turns.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, you reckon?I don't think I ski that fast all the time and I spend much of my time on FIS SL and GS skis. Quite often in bumps where I know I'm not going that fast... Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Mr Technique, I have some racetigers, they are loads of fun on piste. I have the sl ones. I dont very often use them just icy on piste days!
snow conditions
under a new name, certainly the pairs of stock GS skis I've had are quite heavy/unwieldy if you're not going mach schnell. Obviously they're pivotable in the bumps and you can skid them round but to get them to come to life needs speed and a hard surface. Slalom skis are much easier to pootle around on at slower speeds and I actually prefer my SL boards to my GS skis in light pow/variable due to wider tips/tails, but when it comes to tearing it up on piste fast I'll turn to my GS skis or even my Mantras as I find my slalom skis just want to turn, turn, turn.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, ah, yes, OK I understand. My mis-understanding, that pretty much concurs with my experience. Funnily enough though, I have a pair of extremely knackered Rossi 9X WC in a 180 which are a delight in mush. Not much of a delight anywhere else, but in April on the way home they're fantastic. I think they've just lost a lot of their stiffness but are straight enough that they don't get kicked around.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy