Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere Pre Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Might be going on a uni ski trip to Val d'Isere from the 10th - 18th December. Can someone tell me which important lifts are genreally shut in the Espace Killy early doors?

Is a trip this early worth it? Do you often get good snowfall and quiet pistes and the powder doesn't get tracked out as quickly?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is a trip this early worth it?

Any ski trip is worth it IMHO! Very Happy

We skiied last year (12th Dec weekend) in Val Thorens and had great snow.

I'm sure we'll have some Espace Killy visitors along soon...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, I've been to Tignes about that time the last 2 years and there has been plenty of snow, most lifts have been open. There will be several snowHead's in Tignes this year again wc 12th December. Last year the university bash was in Tignes the same time as us and it looked as if they were having a ball, even some skiing wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for replies.

Bergmeister, Thing is being a student need to make the most of my trips. Its either two uni ski trips in December and then March or a trip in Janaury on my own and then the uni ski trip in march. So its whether the first week of Janaury would be much better.

Colin B, I like a drink, but I also like lots of skiing Twisted Evil .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, We've done a few trips around those dates. Lifts very variable, conditions very variable. How important is your social life? Back then, (as January is not necessarily any more guaranteed, just a little more likely) I'd have gone with my student chums on the grounds that I'd have fun snow or no snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The university ski week is always that week - and, as far as I'm aware, has always had enough snow for a week's skiing.

The glaciers at Tignes and Val D'Isere (above Le Fornet) will have winter conditions at that time - however, the unknown factor so early in the season is the quantity and quality of snow on the lower runs. Having said that, you are guaranteed 1200m vertical from the glacier back to Val Claret in Tignes as that home run has snowmaking.

Historically, the Espace Killy has generally opened on time at the end of November, though the opening date has occasionally been put back a week or so. Even then, both Tignes and Val D'Isere have been open for skiing, with just the links between the two closed.

In the last few years there have been bumper snowfalls in early season in Espace Killy - so December skiing at any level has not been a problem.

In terms of lifts, it's usually the main ones that open first - they open the key links as soon as snow conditions permit. Regarding powder, in our last two early Dec trips (2008 and 2009) we've had powder days both times, with fresh tracks still being had all afternoon Cool - so yes, loads quieter than in main season.

I'd say go for it! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

you are guaranteed 1200m vertical from the glacier back to Val Claret in Tignes as that home run has snowmaking.

as ever, I can't resist commenting that snowmaking only works if it's cold. If it's raining, forget it.

The Espace Killy has to be one of the best bets for an early trip - though I'd rather go to Tignes.

You have a pretty good chance of some great conditions, with nice uncrowded slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
10th - 12th December the Men's World Cup circus will be in town. Good chance to see some decent skiers up close.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes we got over from Tignes to watch some of the racing last year, very impressive. Will do so again this year. GS and Super Combined this year. It does make getting around a little more difficult though because of piste closures.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, Hmm, that "green" run to get to Val d'Isere Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I worked in Val d'Isere last season and the snow was great over the Solaise area and definitely in Tignes. Nearly all the lifts were open in Val but some in the Sache area in Tignes and the Grande Motte were not open until a little later than the lower pistes.

The pistes are definitely quiet around this time as the resort is only just opening up. And it is still slightly 'ghost town' until the mid-end of December. Still banging skiing though, any snow and you're on the mountain!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds good. We're heading out on the 19th of Dec. We normally go late Jan or early Feb, so hoping there will be enough decent cover.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottish Scrutineer, welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy