Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland budget

Poster: A snowHead
trying to cobble together a cheeky extra trip for next season, but must keep costs down.

What would a reasonable per person budget be for a week at Scottish resorts in, say, March? Or is it too unreliable (usually - obv not this year) to commit a precious week's holiday? Are there any "in resort" accommodation, or would one have to sleep off-mountain? Is there any childcare available, and what would that approx cost?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oh, and what is the best mountain? Cairngorm?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boardiac, book last minute dependent on weather, March can be fantastic, not the cheapest option but the Hilton has a good indoor pool and massive kiddie play area and will give you an idea of high end cost, lower cost would be B&Bs of which there are plenty in the area.

http://www.hilton.co.uk/coylumbridge

'Best' mountain depends on what you want from it, what kind of skiing do you want, for what levels etc etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks kitenski. at £70-80/pppn before lessons/guides, lift passes etc I think it's a bit too high end.

Any ideas of what people who go to Scotland on oi- let's just say Cairngorm - usually budget "all in" (or back-calculate...)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
couple of hostels, budget b&b in the aviemore/cairngorm area, or you could camp at good serviced sites etc

google aviemore bunkhoue, glenmore hostel, glenmore lodge, some of the hotels some cheap deals, Macdonalds, hirghrange.co.uk (motel). Newtonmore/Kingussie 15-odd miles south of aviemore, you will get cheaper accom and puts you in striking range of Nevis Range (1 hour-ish) so you could hedge on the best conditions, or simply get the variety of a 2 centre ski. The drive from there over to Nevis is fab too, passing by Glenbogle castle, Loch Laggan & Laggan Dam etc.

Would a campervan be outta the question? good serviced sites all over the place and ultimate flexibility
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Would a campervan be outta the question?

yes - we'd have a 2 year old with us, so need a tad more space...

some interesting ideas in there, though - thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boardiac,
we have stayed in various types of accommodation in aviemore and at glenshee. we have had a log cabin for @£250 for a long weekend, a 4 bedroomed house for @£1000 for a full week and many things inbetween. as mentioned before there are many options and obviously prices vary dependant on the dates etc. last year we stayed very close to glenshee, in the village of spittal of glenshee to be exact for a long weekend and paid @£12-15 per night per person for a room in a type of bunkhouse.
in my opinion, if conditions were perfect, i would go for glenshee. however we all know what british weather is like and i think cairngorm is a better bet as there are more things to do (at a cost of course) when the hill is closed down and you are not too far from the hill to take advantage of quick changes in conditions.
the biggest bugbear for me with the scottish resorts is the cost of lift passes etc, i always come away thinking i could have gone to the alps for not much more money. Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boardiac, I will no doubt get flamed, but with you living in london and having a 2 year old you could probably get a good deal and get a more snow/weather sure holiday in Europe if you go just after the Europeans go back to work/school early March. I know last season Mark Warner were doing all sorts of offers....

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/special-offers/ski

Or look at the various family setups for March deals ie here http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/price.html (have used this company since my kids were 3 hence recommended) or http://www.skifamille.co.uk/NewsOffers.php (not used these people myself)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do 2 days in Nevis Range. One in Glencoe.

March or H1 April. Better weather.

Stay in Fort William.

Laterooms.com.

Chase the snow. Book ultra-lastminute.

Surprisingly good skiing if snow is good.

Mega scenery.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi boardiac. At the risk of getting flamed alongside kitenski it would be worth doing a budget cost comparison between Scotland and a cheap deal in the Alps especially as you live in London.
Scotland can be fantastic but the weather and snow can't in any way be guaranteed. When its good its great but when its bad its not much of a holiday.
A week's s/c in Aviemore outside of mid-term will cost about £400-£500.
http://www.scandinavian-village.co.uk/
http://www.pinebankchalets.co.uk/price-list

We've been going to La Tania in the 3 Valleys recently where you will pay around £600 for a 1 bed apartment for a week in March outside school holidays.
http://www.latania.co.uk/resort/accomm.htm
It works for us as a low cost (for the Alps) family friendly location with great skiing at the door. You might find that a cheap flight from London to Chambery may be less than getting up north to Aviemore. If you can be flexible when you go base it on where and when you can fly cheaply as the accommodation costs won't be as variable as the flights.

The other consideration is your 2 year old. In Scotland you will generally have to drive a number of miles from your accomodation to the slopes. Cairngorm is about 7 miles away from Aviemore. Nowhere has slopeside accommodation. If you are reliant on a creche or taking turns to babysit your actual slope time out of precious time on your own could be limited.

I really don't want to put you off coming to Scotland but to get the best out of it you really need to be able to just go when the conditions are good rather than hope they will be good when you go. It may be better to see if you can get to the Alps for an acceptable cost whilst your child flys free and then come to Scotland when your child is skiing with you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boardiac, I agree with Kitenski and Snowdog. While skiing in Scotland is fine for those of us who live here, when I lived in the soft south I would never dream of booking a trip up here, even though I could have stayed with family up here. Europe was cheaper, just as quick to get to, and a better chance of good snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Give the folk at the Crianlarich hotel a call. http://www.crianlarich-hotel.co.uk/ I think the chap is called Nigel.

Last year they were doing ski specials for £20/night and they run a bus to Glencoe. No childcare mind you as far as I know. And a further 30mins to Nevis.

Cheeers
bob
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
it would be worth doing a budget cost comparison between Scotland and a cheap deal in the Alps especially as you live in London.

The problem with living in London is that your pretty much equidistant from the Alps or the Highlands.
Its about 900km north to Fort William or 1000km south to Morzine (from Via Michelin)
So basically its not going to be cheap or quick either way.

However Scotland (and the alps) can be done on a budget...
Trains to Aviemore of Fort William (or fill a car).
All these are under £20 / night and have family / private rooms.

- Aviemore YHA / Loch Morlich YHA - Cairngorm
- Bank Street Lodge, Fort William - Nevis Range
- Crianlarich Hotel / Bridge of Orchy Hotel Bunkhouse - Glencoe

You might not want to go for a whole week, but Scotland is very under-rated option for short weekend breaks.
Especially if you live north of Manchester and are a little flexible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, & who looks after their 2 year old??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

However Scotland (and the alps) can be done on a budget...
Trains to Aviemore of Fort William (or fill a car).

Trains are not a budget option, Birmingham to Fort William are £150+ return. I travelled this with friend on 2for1 vouchers and although its an amazing train ride I wouldn't pay full price.

If any one knows of a way to get cheaper tickets please let me know 'cause I honestly would love to do it again!
ski holidays
^ yup, train prices in the UK are too high. Especially at short notice.
However 2 or 3 people in a car driving to Scotland will always be cheaper than flight / ski carriage / transfer to the alps.

For sure skiing in Scotland isn't for everyone.
But the whole alps is cheaper / easier / quicker justification isn't true (especially for short breaks, and more so if you live in north of manchester-ish). If I lived in London then I would be probably go to the alps for holidays too - its pretty much that same distance!
snow conditions
Using Laterooms.com we did five or six Scottish last minute (ie booked a night or two before once we'd seen the weather was ok) ski trips between March and June this year.

Best bargain we got was The Laggan Hotel, at Laggan (equidistant between Nevis range and Cairngorm - both 45 mins drive) at £30 for a double room. We usually paid £40-£50 (per room not person) for hotels in Newtonmore (30 mins to Cairngorm) - namely The Highlander and The Balavil. All of the hotels we booked through Laterooms were basic but clean and comfortable. Excellent breakfast included at the Newtonmore hotels but extra at Laggan.

Alternatives:
There are loads of bed and breakfasts in AViemore for £25 or £30 per person per night.
Or, although we never stayed here - in Aviemore - we know people who have and who have recommended it. £50 or £60 a room in winter:
http://www.highrange.co.uk/lodge_hotel.htm

Also, rooms in the Travelodge winter sale are going from £9 and can usually be had for £19 if you book far enough in advance. You could spend night one in Scotland at:

Perth Travelodge - 90 mins drive from Cairngorm but 90 mins less to drive on your journey north.
Dumbarton Travelodge - An hour and a bit from Glencoe.

Or go to Fort William (for Nevis Range) and stay at the Premier Inn, which advertises rooms from £29.

Quote:

or you could camp at good serviced sites etc

We camped in June for Cairngorm's Midsummer Weekend skiing bash - it was 4C at bedtime Shocked. March camping with a 2 year old could see him/her placed on the 'At Risk' register with Social services..... Toofy Grin
latest report
Realistically you are looking at an hour and a half from Dumbarton but finding your way wouldn't be difficult as you don't even have to leave the A82 for your hotel.
snow conditions
Just watch out for the top end of Loch Lomond. Some corners can be a bit slippy eh scotia, Happy

Just as well we are locals and know when to stick to the middle for the road.

PS Dumbarton to Glencoe is less than 90 mins. Just Happy
snow report
sign up for the Macdonald Hotels newsletter... they send out quite a lot of late offers throughout winter to stay very cheap at the Macdonald Highland Resort. We had a couple of weekends there last winter paying £20 per night B&B. As has been said, wait until nearer the time and see what conditions are like!
snow conditions
so to sum it up:

- for a family week, go to the Alps (we would have driven to Scotland (kiddie stuff = bulky), so if driving to French alps is +/- the same time, might just do that instead).
- for a cheeky short break at last minute (with mates rather than family), Scotland may be a good option (I would probably fly to Glasgow or Edinburgh and rent a car).

cheers all.
snow report
I'm with Snow Dog (and I'm in Edinburgh) way more reliable snow in Europe and it's quite probably cheaper if you are avoiding the school holidays. I only managed 3 days skiing in Scotland this season, 17 in Europe.

But no doubt some of my compatriots will be back to sing the praises of the glens (or the bits that form them) wink
ski holidays
boardiac wrote:
I would probably fly to Glasgow or Edinburgh and rent a car

Inverness is closer and easy.
snow report
fair point. cheers, tiffin!
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
I only managed 3 days skiing in Scotland this season, 17 in Europe.

shame that... it was an amazing year. Cairngorm had almost 10m of snow through the season and a couple of the days i had were easily a match for any of the days skiing i've had anywhere in the alps or canada. on their day, scottish mountains are inspiring!
ski holidays
duplicate post Embarassed

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 20-09-10 23:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
triplicate post Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 20-09-10 23:48; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Be warned that Scottish resorts are tiny compared with most alpine ones and conditions are very chancy if you have to book ahead. It is somewhere to go at fairly short notice when you hear there is snow and then it can be great. Last time I stayed in Fort William in a B&B (see my Nevis report http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=926485) I think it was £25 per night with one person in a twin room, and a bit less per person when my friend arrived.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, ok ok OK we get it Wink

glasgowcyclops wrote:
Just watch out for the top end of Loch Lomond. Some corners can be a bit slippy eh scotia, Happy

...and even some of the straights Embarassed
snow report
tiffin wrote:
boardiac wrote:
I would probably fly to Glasgow or Edinburgh and rent a car

Inverness is closer and easy.

For CairnGorm and Nevis Range that is true, the Lecht is pretty much equidistant from Inverness and Aberdeen. However Glencoe is closer to Glasgow than Inverness, and Glenshee is easier to access from Aberdeen or Edinburgh than Inverness (esp as the most direct route relies on the A939 and B976 both being fully open).

While this thread is drifting further from the original requirements, if travelling from London then the ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper is worth considering for CairnGorm and Nevis Range (also Glencoe, if you stay at the Crianlarich Hotel on their skiers special, they'll take to and from the snowsports area, so no need for your own transport. )

If you want to roll the dice well in advance for a cheeky weekend break, keep an eye on ScotRail's bargin berth offerings and you could net yourself return travel with a bed for under £40!

In terms of costs, the sleeper removes the need for 1 or more likely 2 nights accommodation, so you could get a weekend at Glencoe or CairnGorm with just one nights hotel accommodation and no time off work from London.
ski holidays
ooh. very useful, Winterhighland. that really coulkd be a bargain then. details duly noted down.
ski holidays
Agreed, was a shame. Hard to get away tho, when I take a week off I'm always going to head abroad tho, better food, better apres and just the whole being away thing. Finding time when kids have rugby/riding/tennis/swimming is difficult.
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
I'm with Snow Dog (and I'm in Edinburgh) way more reliable snow in Europe and it's quite probably cheaper if you are avoiding the school holidays. I only managed 3 days skiing in Scotland this season, 17 in Europe.

WTF, you only managed 20 days LAST season Puzzled Shocked

Forget weeks in the Alps I'm gobsmacked you didn't get more - do you realise quite how good last season in Scotland was even if you were just doing the odd weekend or even day? Shocked
ski holidays
Only 3 days in Scotland????? I did the lecht, Cairngorm (AKA Sauchihall St) nevis and umpteen trips to Glencoe. Last years was amazing Happy
snow conditions
Gosh, I did 4 days in scotland last year and my skiing season didn't start until April 30th!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy