Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee woes

Poster: A snowHead
OK I have a ski holiday booked for 12th December.

Bad news is I have a horisontal tear in teh posteriour horn of the medial meniscus. Right now there is no way on earth I could ski (even small lateral force through my knee is agony). I am booked for surgery on the 7th October. Has anybody had any experience of this? Any good news stories about back skiing in that sort of time frame?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ, should be alright if the surgery goes well and you follow instructions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very interested in the answers as I just buggered up my knee and the GP reckons it's the meniscus. MRI next week.

NickyJ, if it helps, the first time I had the same injury (lateral instability being the giveaway) was three years ago in early December. I continued skiing that weekend with a strong elastic brace and didn't miss any skiing that season, although for a couple of weeks I hobbled and was unable to pivot on my right leg for a while.

Of course, as the injury went away by itself until a surfing accident two days ago, I have no idea whether it was / is in fact similar to yours. If things get better in the next weeks, don't you have any way of delaying the operation until after the season?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ, I had a meniscus problem which the consultant thought might be cured by key hole surgery. Turned out to be more than that. I wasn't fully fit for stuff like skiing until 6 months after the operation. Bottom line is that I think you won't have any real idea until after the operation. Be conscientious with your physio ad exercise. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, just answered your post on Knee Geeks!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Had mine done on 24 October 2 years ago, I skiied Alpe d'Huez on 1st Jan immediately following.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon wrote:
Very interested in the answers as I just buggered up my knee and the GP reckons it's the meniscus. MRI next week.

NickyJ, if it helps, the first time I had the same injury (lateral instability being the giveaway) was three years ago in early December. I continued skiing that weekend with a strong elastic brace and didn't miss any skiing that season, although for a couple of weeks I hobbled and was unable to pivot on my right leg for a while.

Of course, as the injury went away by itself until a surfing accident two days ago, I have no idea whether it was / is in fact similar to yours. If things get better in the next weeks, don't you have any way of delaying the operation until after the season?

I hate to say it but if it was actualy giving way I would be suspicious of your ACL which I ruptured in my other knee a good number of years ago. Good luck I hope it isn't. I
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to every One I am feeling lot more optimistic now.

Hi Sue wasn't sure which was best.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, go along with your surgeon's caution and then be excessively happy when he says you only need to be on crutches for a couple of days! No use beating yourself up over something that may not be as bad as you are trying to convince yourself it could be Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ, Listen to your surgeon, even better if hes a skier Smile Physios advice should also be listened to. Before the op try and strengthen the leg muscles as much as possible, they stronger they are the quicker and easier the recovery.

I skied with my torn meniscus, 2 weeks in Canada - bucket handle tear - 4 weeks after I had torn it. No real problems skiing with it, but took it easy without any jumps or drops Madeye-Smiley But couldnt walk without very bad limp and pain Sad

Had to op in May afterwards and so far been ok, 2 years on, no trouble when skiing. But also had some old reconstruction work sorted at the same time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Both of my knees are knackered (Rugby and a knee wrecking career). Very Happy I schedule my ops in the summer to give me maximum recovery time before the season starts. The best advice I can give is to DO THE POST OP PHYSIO. Then train, and train and train a bit more. The more you build the quads, the less work the knees have to do. I wrecked a weeks skiing by not doing enough physio or training and got the message. Now, I have no knee trouble. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
NickyJ, I had a meniscus problem which the consultant thought might be cured by key hole surgery. Turned out to be more than that. I wasn't fully fit for stuff like skiing until 6 months after the operation. Bottom line is that I think you won't have any real idea until after the operation. Be conscientious with your physio ad exercise. Good luck.

What did it turn out to be?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
NickyJ, go along with your surgeon's caution and then be excessively happy when he says you only need to be on crutches for a couple of days! No use beating yourself up over something that may not be as bad as you are trying to convince yourself it could be Little Angel

Good thing I kept the crutches from my last knee problem - I was really hoping that by keeping them I wouldn't need them again. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ, good luck - that sounds a mite close.

One pessimistic point - you need to make sure your insurers are going to cover a repeat knee injury and related costs on you holiday.

Otherwise wot achilles says.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
NickyJ,

One pessimistic point - you need to make sure your insurers are going to cover a repeat knee injury and related costs on you holiday.

I popped my ACL skiing back in 07 and tore a big lump of meniscus at the same time. Not had surgery for either of them (just lukcy I guess that I have good stability and no pain).

I spent ages trawling round insurers and found that Directtravel were happy to cover me & my knackered knee for future trips without any excess premium.
snow conditions
NickyJ, what they handed me (literally) was a crescent of cartilage - and ther had been quite a cut to get to it. Oh, BTW, wot stoatsbrther said about declaring your medical condition. It cost me quite a bit the first season after the op.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy