Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Downhill + small city (weather prot. +teenagers) - Kitzbuehl OR? please advice

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Snowheads,

I'm thinking about bringing my wife and two boys (age 15 and 21 (yepp-unbelieveable Madeye-Smiley ) to go skiing.

Me and my wife would love great mountains to look at and she would like easy skiing and relaxing in the Sun.
The boys would like blacks and reds and maybe, but not necessarily, the possibility of powder. I guess I will join both parties Happy

If weather turns bad, I am thinking it would be a good idea to go to a place not too small/secluded so that we had an option for a small charming city walkabout and maybe a swimming/water play arenea or something.

So I was thinking about Kitzbuehl, but would love ideas.
We are going Feb 28th to Mar 4th +- 3 days both directions,

It should be reasonably close by train or rent-a-car to one of these cities: Salzburg, Munich(I like this place) or Geneva (flying from Norway)

Any advice?

Kind Regards,
Jan
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By airport,

Salzburg - Kitzbuhel is good also St Johann in Tirol
Munich - Garmisch, St Anton at a stretch
Geneva - Chamonix, Megeve

Mostly a predictable list, perhaps limited by the city walkabout.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Diverjan, If the weather is bad then Kitzbuhel has a medieval town centre (which is pedestrianised), some very good Konditorei/coffee shops and a very good pool and spa complex called the Aquarena. You get a discount on admission to the Aquarena with a guest card or lift pass.

PS I believe it is also possible to go skiing in Norway! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zell am See?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for good advice,

I'm situated south in Norway and to "the other than usual places; Hovden, Gautefall, Vrådal it's a six hours drive to the more known destinations.
So its only two more hours to get to the alps and experience something quite different (number of slopes, lifts,...) and the magnificent views (well we somewhat have that).

And with the prohibitly expensive food and drink prices here, I guess all in all the same price, well more or less.

Thanks
Jan
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Innsbruck would be another possibility - lots of ski areas within easy reach by bus.

Zermatt? Can't do much better for big mountains.

Chamonix? Not exactly a "charming town", but an interesting and lively one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Diverjan, Fly to Salzburg and hire a car then the world is your oyster so to speak! Any of the Salzburger Super Ski areas would be OK but the best towns are Schladming, Wagrain, Bad Gastein, and St Johann in Pongau.

The Kitzbühler area includes Kitz itself, Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm and the much nicer Leogang, (OK Saalbach is no great town but it serves its purpose quite well for people to be there summer & winter).

Flying to Munich and hiring a car leaves you with the problem of negotiating the A99 around Munich and either the A 8/A93 (Munich-Salzburg & Rosenheim-Kufstein) or the A95 Munich- Oberau/Garmisch (the autobahn does not go as far as Garmisch and probably never will). All these route are a nightmare on change-over Saturdays in the ski season. As a tourist you are stuck on the main roads. I live locally and do not ever even contemplate driving on the autobahns around Munich on the weekends in the ski season. Locals like myself have plenty of alternatives, maybe longer but not as time-consuming when trying to get from A to B in a limited time.

If you can fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck and have less distance to drive to where ever it is you end up, as well as less time in the inevitable traffic jams (Staus in the local language.). Last weekend was the last of the Bavarian and Baden-Würtemburg school summer holidays - all of the rest of Germany and Europe had already returned to school - there were jams from Kufstein to Munich and beyond as well as from Salzburg to the Inntal junction. So that is over well over 100km of jams &/or stop go. Add bad weather to the equation and all the other countries going to and from ski resorts, you get the picture.

Good luck wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Innsbruck would be another possibility - lots of ski areas within easy reach by bus
or indeed that lovely big ski lift that goes straight out of the city.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kitzbühel would be fine (though St. Johann in Tirol is good for a day's skiing and a pleasant town, I wouldn't put it on a par with Kitz). If you have your own transport, you could ski a different place every day (including those mentioned by Samerberg Sue but also e.g. SkiWelt or Alpbach, using the Kitzbüheler Alpen pass) from a base in Kitzbühel (or St. Johann).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamonix.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kitzbuhel is easily reached from Munich, if you have a car not an awful lot of difference from salzburg.

But as mentionned, roads can be jammed. I very nearly missed my 9pm flight on a sunday night after leaving Kitzbuhel at about 5 pm. Arrived with 5mins to spare before check in closed.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks alot, jammed roads could be a problem so good to get these comments
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello again Snowheaders,

What is now settled is that we will travel to the destination Saturday February 26th and return again Thursday 3rd or Friday 4th of March

The option with Kitzbuehl (on our way to) is the plane will be in Munich around 16:30. With traffic jams causing the travel to take maybe 5 hours or more we should still reach Kitzbuehl that evening (still warnings??) Is train an option?

Someone know about a not prohibitely expensive Hotel in Kitzbuehl?
Car rental suggestions? we will be four persons.

BR
Jan
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Train time from Munich airport to Kitzbuhel is about 3 hours 30 mins, possibly a little less. So I would say it definitely should be an option.

Have a look at:

http://www.oebb.at/en/

They do not have their winter timetable out yet, but I doubt it will change too much.

If you do hire a car make sure you check where the pick up is, some of the cheaper options out of Munich are in fact based a further (shortish) coach drive away which all adds time...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Diverjan, Landing at that time you will probably be travelling at the tail end of the main rush to the mountains. Unless the weather is extremely bad I don't think you will have too many problems with traffic. It will be stop-go in places but you should still be able to make it in less than the time the train takes, plus you have the advantage of having a car to use while in the resort.

Returning on a Thursday or a Friday you will not meet the mega traffic jams that can occur at the weekends.

nozawaonsen, most of the car hire is now all based in the terminal buildings - even the infamous Thrifty! wink
snow conditions
Quote:

nozawaonsen, most of the car hire is now all based in the terminal buildings - even the infamous Thrifty!

Samerberg Sue, That's a relief!

Diverjan, if you do take the train watch out for the walk at Munich Hauptbahnhof which can be a bore with baggage. If you are lucky enough to get yourself on an ICE train for the main part of the journey it should be very comfortable (or rather completely unrecognisable if you are unfortunate enough to have tried traveling around the UK on a train)!

And when you get back to Munich airport whether by car or by train if you are looking for somewhere to get some food and a beer before leaving and if you have time do visit Airbrau. So civilised to attach a brewery to the airport...
snow report
nozawaonsen, going to be eating there on the 15th Octoberwhen I have 2 sets of people to pick up. I also have to do a pick up on the 8th October, so maybe a meal and a drink would not be a bad idea. Mind you there is so much to choose from in the immediate area as well.

http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/index2.html?lang=eng oldest continuously used brewery in the world

http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=263 The Ayinger Gasthof and Bierstubel are on one of the routes from the airport to the A8 that avoid all the hassles on the A9/A99 - lovely beer and food!

Spoilt for choice to be honest!
snow report
Hm, didn't know about this gems. I have been to Munich on several occassions, but thinking of it -it has always been business.
First time at a really expensive unpersonal and I guess excellent hotell. Next time I found Blauer Bock (or maybe its Bauer Bock) and I would recommend that. Friendly staff, and though the rooms are simple I love it. Three years since my last visit though.

Have been looking at Hotels in Kitzbuhel. Seems like being alot around EUR 100 pr person pr night.
We are four and need two double roms. Anyone know about some nice place at around EUR 50-70 pr person pr night?
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

Diverjan, if you do take the train watch out for the walk at Munich Hauptbahnhof which can be a bore with baggage. If you are lucky enough to get yourself on an ICE train for the main part of the journey it should be very comfortable (or rather completely unrecognisable if you are unfortunate enough to have tried traveling around the UK on a train)!

If arriving at Munich airport and travelling by train to Austria there's no need to go as far into Munich as the Hauptbahnhof - just get off the S8 S-Bahn from the airport at the earlier stop of Ostbahnhof and catch the train into Austria (change at Worgl for the train to Kitzbuhel)
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, you can reduce your choice of trains if you only go from the Ostbahnhof. Not all the trains stop there on their way out to points east. The Hauptbahnhof gives you way more choice. I live in this region and always travel by train to and from the HBf. The Ostbahnhof is not as easy to get around to be honest and it is desperately in need of an upgrade.

Diverjan, Put your requirements into the hotel reservation search on the Tourist Office site and see what it throws up. Also try looking at Kirchberg, as well. It is linked into Kitzbühel (most of us here often use the Fleckalmbahn as our entry into the system). If you have a car it means you are outside of Kitz prices (just) and ready to ski anywhere in the Kitz or Ski Welt areas within a few minutes. Aurach bei Kitzbühel and Jochberg are also satellite villages. Wider a field but not by far are Oberndorf, Reith bei Kitzbühel and St Johann in Tirol. All of these will have more cheaper accommodation than Kitz itself.

wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy