Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne, Les Coches

Poster: A snowHead
Pondering a trip there this Xmas. Two things are concerning me;

1. Low altitude for the time of year - appreciate there's not much can be done about the altitude, but is there sufficient snow-making to insure good skiing?
2. Les Coches location looks a little isolated from the main parts of La Plagne and Les Arcs. I know piste maps can be misleading or just downright inaccurate, but exactly how much of a pain is it to get out of/back to, considering that I like the steeps and mrs Doc likes to cruise the reds and blues? How long will it take to get to Aiguille Rouge or the Bellecote glacier, ferinstance?

Ta in advance...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Certainly enough snow making and you should have no problems getting out and back -you should be able to get to the to of the transarcs in less than an hour you will be at the Vanoise in 10 mins
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to reckon you could make plagne centre within about 40 minutes coming off the VE, although that was foot down and no q's. Top of the Roche De Mio will depend on the lift q @ bellecote, which can be silly if you time it wrong, ditto onto the glacier. I'm with redrunmarcus on the time to the 2000 bowl - it's no more than 3 lifts off the VE (peisey, derby and tranny mid-station or the gd renard) then you can ski to the varet which whips you up to the Ag. Rouge. Again lengthen a little for peak times...

Not so great for nightlife - no easy way into PC for some evening bevvies, you're restricted to the delights of les coches and montychavin.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett wrote:
Top of the Roche De Mio will depend on the lift q @ bellecote, which can be silly if you time it wrong, ditto onto the glacier........

Tourists, don't you just love them and their slow routes. Learn your piste map, the bubble is for muppets wink Laughing

As for Les Coches, its a quiet spot but with great access to all parts of La Plagne and Les Arcs. One slight word of caution, the snow around the area can be mostly man made and it often doesn't get much sunshine and can be a tad icy in parts, cough Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We last went to les coches before the link with les arcs so can only comment on the la plagne side. We went early feb and it was quite icy coming back down the last stretch to les coches at the end of the day. To ski la plagne I would definitely stay higher up nearer the centre of la plagne. However now la plagne and les arcs are linked it is probably a good base to ski both resorts.

Having stayed in Les Arcs and Les Coches I would probably chose to stay in les arcs and do a day trip to la plagne. I personally found the skiing more scenic and varied in les arcs and there are lots of blues and several easy reds - some nice tree lined ones between Arc 1800 and the plan peisy area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

I'm probably biased, and this isn't a particularly scientific way of looking at it but the last two years I've skiied powder in La Plagne early season and never once been unable to ski back to Les Coches.

The pistes down to Les Coches are always accessible whether it's snowed or not and they've got snowcannons all the way down. As thefatcontroller, said, it can be a tad icy if it hasn't snowed for a while, but there is always more than enough coverage to comfortably ski down to the village. The slopes just above are in the trees so they hold their snow really well and are great for skiing early season.

Don't worry at all about it's position! With the creation of the Vanoise express a few years ago, Les Coches became arguably the best placed of all the La Plagne villages as it's located right in the heart of Paradiski. You're only one lift away from the Vanoise express for a day in Les Arcs, and the La Plagne glacier is no further than if you were staying in Plagne centre.

Go for it - you'll have an awesome time.

Heather
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow and Sunshine, You may be biased but you are right. wink In my opinion if you are looking for a base to move around Les Arc/La Plagne then Les Coches and Montchavin are the best locations. They may not be busting with night-life but with beer prices in France who can afford the night life? Dr John
Book it and stop panicking, Paradski has enough runs to keep both you and your wife happy for a year, let alone a week.

As for snow quality, thats in the hands of the gods but 2(?) years ago they built a new lake above the area to hold melting snow for the coming year to make sure they have plenty of water for snow making and also as Les Coches is a critical part of the Vanoise link then a lot of effort goes into making sure there is snow in the area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All, many thanks for the usual SH's vigorous advice. Not been to the area before, always enjoy discovering new places, confident with a piste map so not worried about navigation and I always take local advice.

thefatcontroller, c'mon, spill. Looking at the map I presume you're talking about the two chairs from Plagne Bellecote? Any other crafty short cuts?

snowymum, ideally I'd choose Arc 1800 (I think), but the offer I'm considering has a split week over Xmas. If you know of similar anywhere in Les Arc let me know.

bertie bassett, not too worried about wild nightlife, being with the Mrs and all. As long as there's a local bar or two we'll be fine, more than happy getting sozzled in the chalet most nights.

Next questions: What about decent lunch spots? Much prefer small, locals places, and Mrs Doc half french & fluent so the more authentic the better. And any Les Couches based off-piste guide recommendations?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dr John - We stayed in Hotel du Golf in Arc 1800 and had a lovely week (one of our best skiing holidays). However this is going back about 10 yrs. I'm afraid I don't know about chalets in les arcs but hopefully others do. However I have noticed there are some nice MGM luxury self catering appts with pool in the peisy/vallandry area.

When we stayed in arc 1800 there was a weekly torchlight descent from a mountain restaurant..too long ago for me to remember any more than that but the piste was easy enough to ski in the dark after a mulled wine or two!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowymum wrote:
Dr John - We stayed in Hotel du Golf in Arc 1800 and had a lovely week (one of our best skiing holidays). However this is going back about 10 yrs. I'm afraid I don't know about chalets in les arcs but hopefully others do. However I have noticed there are some nice MGM luxury self catering appts with pool in the peisy/vallandry area.

When we stayed in arc 1800 there was a weekly torchlight descent from a mountain restaurant..too long ago for me to remember any more than that but the piste was easy enough to ski in the dark after a mulled wine or two!

MGM also have apartments in Arc 1800 (check Erna Low for details). The evening meal in the Arpette restaurant then ski down in the dark is still running (on Thursday evenings IIRC) and seems very popular.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, To avoid the bubble from Bellecote you can aim for the Crozats and then Inversens chairlifts which take you up to Roche de Mio.
There is a good restaurant at the start of the Inversen red run, you can see it to your right from the chairlift.
Another favourite restaurant of mine for lunch is the one next to the outdoor ice rink in Plagne Bellecote, I can't remember the name of it. It is a bit of a walk uphill to get to but is usually very busy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skichampcouk wrote:
Dr John, To avoid the bubble from Bellecote you can aim for the Crozats and then Inversens chairlifts which take you up to Roche de Mio.

Ughhhhh. No way. Slow chairs. Les Blanches and Carella is the route Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, Top of First chair out of Monthcavin, Le Sauget, but don't tell everyone. Great rustic food and good value and very easy late evening ski home to Les Coches after the lifts have closed wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
What about decent lunch spots? Much prefer small, locals places, and Mrs Doc half french & fluent so the more authentic the better. And any Les Couches based off-piste guide recommendations?

There's a few in this thread on the les arcs side - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223 Chalet de L'arc is fab for brownie points but it'll probably be super busy, might be worth booking. Blache Muree is a nice spot for some tartiflette on a sunny day - but not the easiest place to find. I'm sure the LP crowd will let you know their faves too.

thefatcontroller wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
Top of the Roche De Mio will depend on the lift q @ bellecote, which can be silly if you time it wrong, ditto onto the glacier........

Tourists, don't you just love them and their slow routes. Learn your piste map, the bubble is for muppets wink Laughing

You calling me a tourist? Laughing - I guess I am now being back in the 9-5 Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely lovely, all good stuff. This is SH's at it's best, keep it coming.
snow conditions
We stayed in Les Coches in 2008 and would suggest its a winner,easy access to the main La Plagne ski grid without paying La Plagne prices but its true...it can be icy on the return to Les Coches at the end of the day...
latest report
Chris Brookes, cheers. A bit of ice never hurt anyone*

*except me when I popped two ribs stacking in La Clusaz
ski holidays
We used the following company for Les Coches and suggest trying to stay next to the chairlifts as its a bit of a hike up/down depending where you stay

http://www.ski-lasource.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy