Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN setting, confusion

Poster: A snowHead
Sig. other got some new skis, but I'm confused about the DIN settings on them.

I told the vendor her approx. stats (decent on-piste skier, likes bumpy black runs for example, 65kg or thereabouts) and the skis were delivered with the DIN settings at 4.5

I think that looks low, but am the first to admit I have no idea what I'm talking about. Can anyone help?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Get a rough idea from:

http://www.norfolkskiclub.co.uk/din
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Technique, it does look low. That link from Brian looks useful though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, thanks bri.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr Technique, I think thats a little low too. I would certainly be winding them up, probably to about a 6.5 or 7. It does to a certain extent also depends on the size of the foot.

It seems the guy that set them up is playing a little safe. Better for him to set them up low and they release, than for him to have wound the DIN up and they don't come off when needed. He doesnt know you are telling the truth about ability, a lot of people over estimate. Crank 'em up.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.dinsetting.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eclectic wrote:
Mr Technique, I think thats a little low too. I would certainly be winding them up, probably to about a 6.5 or 7. It does to a certain extent also depends on the size of the foot.

It seems the guy that set them up is playing a little safe. Better for him to set them up low and they release, than for him to have wound the DIN up and they don't come off when needed. He doesnt know you are telling the truth about ability, a lot of people over estimate. Crank 'em up.

That's not really playing it safe though eh. A ski releasing at an inopportune moment is as dangerous as one not releasing I would say. I think it might just be a cock up.

Boot sole length is 289 from memory.

So here's the funny thing. I'm as good or a tad better than she is, I'm a hulking 6 footer with a beer gut and size 11s. When I rent kit they always set me up on about 7 or 7.5. That must also be rather on the low side as well if you (and those website DIN calculators) have my relatively petite little flower of a woman pegged as a 6.5 or 7.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Technique, I would suspect your boot sole length is different to hers, that has an affect on the DIN rating, try your weight and height and vary the boot sole length and see what difference it makes!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah right. I arsumed that canoes-for-feet == higher DIN, but it's the other way round. Cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My ex was probably a better skier and weighs around the same. She always skied on 4.5-5 and never pre-released...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks parlor, well I'm confused now then. All those "calculator" doodads on the net seem to be recommending upwards of 6, and I don't doubt for a moment that your ex was a better skier...

So, er, shall I leave them alone or crank them up to 7?

Confused of Sussex.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique, I'm heavier than your missus by about 9kg and while I don't go hooning down bumps I do ski 'em (kind of). I have 4.5 and never pre-release, in fact I'm thinking about taking them down a bit.

Both those links gives me a 5 setting which is too high for me. if I said i was under 49 (whcih I was last season) it would come out at a 6, far too high.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hm. Might just leave them alone then. Why is this so complicated?!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4.5 up to 6.5 is a big change. There is something to be said for putting a booted foot in the binding on flat ground (even the front room carpet) and trying to see how hard it is to get out. If it seems too easy then put it up a bit (but 5.5 is still probably high enough).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
7 seems very high, a while ago my skis were set by the shop at 7 and I didn't pre-release on piste...in fact even now I often have the front bindings at 8 (the rear ones are another story). And I'm 89 kgs and 5'11 and ski reasonably hard offpiste.
ski holidays
I think try them and see - I'm 75kg UK size 9.5 and I've skiied on 5 to 5.5 for 20+ years. I'd rather my skis pre-release (not that they hardly ever do) than wreck my knees. Sometimes there'll be times when I REALLY don't want to lose a ski (steep blacks & deep pow spring to mind) and then I just crank them up a bit.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without knowing some of your personal details, having just entered my info into that DIN calculator, my setting also came out at 7 - too low for me. I usually set at 8 following expert advice several years ago. Might be lowering that for the expected weight loss though....
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
4.5 up to 6.5 is a big change. There is something to be said for putting a booted foot in the binding on flat ground (even the front room carpet) and trying to see how hard it is to get out. If it seems too easy then put it up a bit (but 5.5 is still probably high enough).

Its not a good idea to test bindings by trying to twist out of them.
ski holidays
I don't know what you've already seen but when I was working as a tech we did the salomon course using the stuff off here http://www.salomontechnician.com/details.php It's not going to let you do the exam obviously but the two pdf files might be of interest.
ski holidays
Mr Technique, In most situations pre-release is probably better than late-release.

If you are not going to be digging her skis out of deep powder for a while, I'd go for 5 and see how things go.

Women are more likely to damage their knees than men for a given twisting injury - so good to be cautious.
ski holidays
jbob,
Quote:

beequin wrote:

Its not a good idea to test bindings by trying to twist out of them.

I did not say twist, but I accept the point. You have to be careful.
latest report
I always went low to start with and took it up 0.5 at a time if I had pre-releases. Found that hitting moguls with rubbish technique was a good test Laughing . It also seemed to depend on the ski length and weight.. on old B2's I was fine on 6.5, changed skis and bindings and was popping out at 8.
snow report
For all those who have said:

Start at 4.5 and push it up 0.5 each time you (wife etc) get a pre-release is the right answer!
snow report
Thanks everybody, this has been really useful.

However I feel I must point out that if she dies I'm holding you all responsible and you'll be hearing from my solicitor.
ski holidays
That's nice....has she bequethed something to us then?
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Get a rough idea from:

http://www.norfolkskiclub.co.uk/din

Seems t o work well. Don't forget to put her boot sole length and all the other data in there. She may be a 3+ (willing to accept more risk of non-release than a 3).

It may not be safer for her to pre-release, as she could end up dying in the rocks or at the bottom of a cliff at high speed due to a ski bouncing off in a rut or when landing some air, but it's safer for the shop that set the DINs too low; you won't be able to say they didn't come off when they should have and there's no way to prove that they weren't subject to enough force to legitimately cause a release.
snow report
Ghost wrote:
dying in the rocks or at the bottom of a cliff at high speed due to a ski bouncing off in a rut or when landing some air.

*Splurt*

No, she's really not that kind of skier NehNeh
snow report
Mr Technique, I'm the same weight, same sex, and have a slightly longer boot sole length. I normally use DIN 5.5. Snow & Rock offered me Demo kit set at 4.5, and my local Swiss dealer always want to set me at 7 Shocked
I have never had a pre-released binding at setting 5.5, have not managed to ski fast/hard enough maybe? Some folks ski lightly on their kit, and seem to get by with lower settings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.mountainyahoos.com/SkiEquipment/BindingsDinSettings-Marker-NoTorque_w520.gif

They probably have somewhere written on their website that the DIN setting is done via a certain 'recognised' table with the information provided. It's really just a way to try and cover themselves in case of any litigation. So that if you then change the DIN setting from what they provided it then becomes your responsibility.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy