Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montalbert 2010-2011

Poster: A snowHead
Any anti-nuclear face masks spotted yet?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cockofthenorth, Our thoughts on half term were well founded, figures up 5% according to CdA the 4th week certainly seemed busier than the UK week.

Quote:
The 2010-2011 winter season is proving satisfactory for ski areas, following three exceptional
seasons. The Christmas holidays, which account for around 15% of the season, enjoyed early
and abundant snowfall and good weather conditions, which mitigated the unfavorable impact of
the Christmas-holiday schedule (Christmas and New Year's Day both fell on a Saturday).
Despite the lack of natural snowfall, ski conditions have been very good so far, mainly because of
the excellent work on ski trails carried out by CDA teams and the capital expenditures for manmade
snow carried out over the last several years. The four weeks of French school holidays
brought good results, compared with the same period a year earlier. The number of skier-days
rose by nearly 5%.
As of March 11 (~70% of the season), the number of skier-days was
essentially flat, compared with the same period of FY 2009-2010.

http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/amf_en/CDA_CP%20post%20AG%2017%20mars%202011_EN_vf.pdf
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cockofthenorth, you're not wrong Cool snowHead

Boredsurfing, you've never offered.................. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
redrunmarcus, Laughing I always seem to be leaving as you are arriving!
Or vice versa wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, True next year then.............
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thats it I'm off ...........usually I would say it will snow now I am goimg home but this year.............. Confused

Thanks all for a good season Cool snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a good trip home, enjoy the golf season Cool
See you back there in January or February...perhaps Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redrunmarcus, Have a good trip home and maybe see you over summer? Won't be the same without you. Who will we take the p*** out of now?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm off to the first L'Abreuvoir bar-b-q of the season this lunchtime, because at 10h30 today it was 22'c on their decking. They will be doing another one on 14th & 21st April, weather permitting. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rebeccay, Book us in for 14th x4 and 21st x3 weather permitting Very Happy Very Happy
Please dont post any pictures from today 'cos I'll be really fed up and I have to work to-night and be a happy sole Toofy Grin The view on the webcam will be hard enough to take!

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Book us in for the 21st please Smile))
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, I wasn't capable of posting any pictures last night...I got home just after midnight wink "trollied" is probably the only word to use. The barbie needs a bit of refinement, it wasn't up to Giles & Marcus' standards set last season, but we've still time to work on it.

Another beautiful day of blue sky and sunshine...Mr rebeccay has skinned up this morning and I'm awaiting his return (I have no idea how he got out of bed, because I'm sure he drank as much as me Puzzled ).

Several locals have said bad weather closing in at the weekend...maybe even a little snow, although I can't see that happening looking out the window at the moment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rebeccay, We can't see his tracks on the webcam above yet so I gues they have stopped at Forperet Toofy Grin
Hair of the dog no doubt wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whats it like out there at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ntfarmer wrote:
Whats it like out there at the moment.
Apparently 22 degress today Shocked
ski holidays
Mouth, I've changed my mind, it was definitely hotter than that. Spoke to a couple of people who had been into Plagne Centre this morning, and were doing Verdons Nord and Carina. They said it was ok, but when it got slushy at the top of VN they knew it was time to head back to Monty.

Anyone coming out in the next 3 weeks, do not expect too much as it currently stands, but bring sunscreen, summer clothes and walking boots!!
snow conditions
Here is an edited copy of what i posted on the Les Arcs thread with just the stuff about La Plagne side that we did today. You can read the full version on the other thread if you are interested. Remember you can always check out the photo section in my facebook group page to see what we have been doing. If you join as a friend then there are even more pics to see. Link below.

Blue sky, very warm temperatures! You could almost be at the beach today rather than on a mountain.

With the current conditions I thought it was time to take a tour of the whole Paradiski area. For those coming out in the next week. Take a read of what we found visiting all the resort stations that were open in the whole domain plus the mountain tops. For those that just want a summary. Skip to the end.

On the La Plagne side we went to Montchavin down a rather patchy red 'Montchavin' piste and then up and back down to Les Coches on the red piste again and then through the beginner area to the Plan Bois Chair. Going into Les Coches and Montchavin there are now only the red 'Montchavin' or the blue 'Mont Blanc' pistes open lower down.

From the top of the Salla Chair we went all the way down into Bellecote La Plagne through Belle Plagne. All the main pistes in these areas are still open, but thin in places. Then up the Colosses Chair and then down through Plagne Village, Plagne Soleil, Plagne Centre and Plagne 1800. Once again all the main pistes appeared to be open, but some were quite patchy in places with warnings of mud and stones.

From Plagne 1800 we went up the 1800 Chair and then down to Plagne Montalbert via the blue 'Cornegidouille' piste, blue 'Montalbert' piste and then the red 'Fornelet' piste. These pistes were all in surprisingly good condition and gave us a good run all the way down into the bottom station.

From Plagne Montalbert we then headed back up the lifts into Aime La Plagne. From there down to Plagne Centre was rather thin although the pistes were open, but with warning signs everywhere against stones and mud. Straight up the Z tow and then the Verdons Nord Chair and over the top and down towards Champagny. The pistes in the Plagne centre area were mostly open, but with a number of bare patches. Take care when using any of these reds or blues. The blacks are closed either due to avalanche risk or bare patches. Going down the red to the bottom of the Borseliers Chair showed that this area is only just staying open with many bare patches on this and the blue piste nearby.

The red piste down to Champagny Village is now closed so you must down lift with the Gondola.

From the top of the Borseliers Chair we headed up to the Bellecote Glacier using the Rosea and Carella Chairs. Then finally the Bellecote Gondola for a change. All the pistes on the way up looked to be ok, although again the blacks were closed mainly due to avalanche risk and a few bare patches.

From the Bellecote Glacier we headed off piste for a while to make our way down to the Bauches Chair at the bottom of the closed (all season) 'Derochoir' piste. Then up the two chairs to the top of Dosrond. If you try this off piste area, you need to take great care as we passed many avalanches. If you are trying any off piste areas, you are well advised to do so in the mornings before the snow becomes to warm and starts to slide or becomes to soft and allows you to break through the crust.

From the top of Dosrond we headed back on piste down to the VE via the only route now open, 'Mont Blanc' blue piste, plus the little red short cut which is still ok. By now it was after 1.30pm and the pistes were all getting quite soft, but still ok. The Bellecote Glacier area offers the best conditions for 'on or off' piste in the La Plagne area, but the higher sections of the Roche de Mio, the Grand Rochette (north side) and even coming down under the Rosea Chair were quite good.

I hope you enjoyed reading the description of todays 'Grand Tour' on the La Plagne side. It was really fun and had everything from soft snow to hard packed pistes, spring snow off piste and slush. Plus a few bushes, tree roots, rocks and a bit of mud. More to follow tomorrow. !!

Overall, in summary: For those coming out in the next week or if you have arrived already. You can expect the pistes to be hard compact snow with icy patches in the mornings and soft slushy snow in the afternoons with many wet places. When going into stations stick to pistes which are marked as open or you may well run out of snow. Remember that Champagny Station (you can down lift here) and Villaroger station (you CANNOT down lift here) are now closed.

Off piste is better done in the morning when the snow is firm and follow the sun to avoid re-frozen boiler plate, but move away before it becomes too soft to avoid any danger of avalanches, falling into hidden holes or rock slides.

If the promised rain/snow does arrive in the next few days, this could add an icy layer to the snow surface in the mornings when it re-freezes, but it may also speed up the destruction of the snow conditions. We will all have to hope it snows rather than rains!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134900026541300&v=photos&ref=ts
snow report
snowcrazy, Great report, good to see that you have finally managed to get lower down than the hill than the Forperet terrace wink snowHead
snow report
Can we get an updated report on La Plagne area? I know Monty is not really skiable but what about LP? Is it worth us coming out next week?
snow report
Mouth,
If you've already paid - Yes.
If not - No.
snow report
Mouth, at the moment we can still ski down to the village. From the top of the fornelet to the top of the first lift the snow is really good in fact the days we have been out they have been the best runs on the mountain (and that is no joke just because I'm from Monty!!!) even the pisteurs and the Esf are saying that the Fornelet and the run down to La roche are in great condition. By lunch time Plagne center is like one big swimming pool, the past few days with the temps been so hot the snow has been disapearing very rapidly Confused Confused . They are trying so hard to keep the runs open they have been setting of a few controlled avanlanches to scoop onto the piste, they are also transporting snow in wagons down to 1800 to keep the runs open.
The runs that are really suffering are of course the south facing slopes coming into Plagne center from Aime 2000.
With regards to the top of the first lift down to Montalbert - once there is not enough snow to ski down then they are going to leave the lift open and skis off for us to get down. But the good news is the piste basher is working on it as I type !! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley . Fingers crossed the temps are going to drop gradually everyday next week so this may hold the snow a little longer.
Anyone coming out next week then get yourselfs over to Monty on Thursday for a big Bar -B -Q at lunch time Smile Smile
snow conditions
cockofthenorth, Without me .................keep Rebecca off the wine
snow report
Quote:

Is it worth us coming out next week?

Mouth, don't think of it as a skiing holiday but rather an early summer holiday. Although the snow in Val d'Isere is still very good apparently, as some clients skied there yesterday and had a great time. You'll have the car, so you could drive there.
ski holidays
Quote:

keep Rebecca off the wine

redrunmarcus, cheeky.....I was very restrained at last week's barbie and will also be so at this weeks, but can't promise the same the week after!!
ski holidays
Great thankscockofthenorth, and that all sounds ok. AM packing my shorts anyway as rebeccay, says it could be an early summer hol. We really want to ski with the Bullet for a good few days and have planned to have a day with Marsye too. Funny that last year on April 23rd was our last day of our season trip and we had an incredible day of great snow and no-one around...
snow report
Cock of the North above is spot on.
We are in Plagne Centre at the mo and the snow in Montalbert is miles better! (via SMS)
latest report
How many people on such narrow strip:

One of the lower web cams in La Plagne.
Looks quite dangerous for me
rolling eyes
snow report
Tom W, Where is that? Montchavin?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, I think so.

Now it is empty Wink
http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/montchavin/interface.php?pk_interface=65&m=images&r=panoramique&pk_pano=6826
snow report
Alright who's is it?
It can't be the Mayors 'cos Tony isn't here until tonight Toofy Grin
It's not Mouth's 'cos she arrived today and the chopper was there yesterday!
and I asked www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk and its not theirs!
(It's parked over by the end of the Pravendue piste.)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 16-04-11 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Had to go a bit further than usual today but found this with some fresh snow from last night snowHead

snow report
More praise for the current La Plagne conditions on the Les Arcs thread Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66382&start=1320#1775975
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, wheres the pic taken?
ski holidays
Montalbert is the last resort open in France where you can ski down as low as 1350m. Hoorah for the superb piste management.
ski holidays
rebeccay wrote:
Montalbert is the last resort open in France where you can ski down as low as 1350m. Hoorah for the superb piste management.

A big here here to that!

redrunmarcus its the Deversoir piste snowHead
snow conditions
Ah never got round to doing that .....
snow conditions
redrunmarcus, See what you missed by not being here in the Spring wink snowHead
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

redrunmarcus its the Deversoir piste snowHead

looks like the top of the glacier to me
snow report
Quote:

and I asked www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk and its not theirs!

if only...maybe next year!
latest report
rebeccay, Phew, next year must be a mega season already then Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy