Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone taking teens skiing February half term?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of taking my daughter - age 14 - skiing during the half term holiday in February. I have been skiing 8 or 9 times myself, including the birthday bash last year, and I have taken her once. She really enjoyed it and she quite fancies going again, but is not too keen on a trip with just me for obvious reasons! I was wondering if anyone is going in a mixed ability group with teenagers, maybe a catered chalet or similar, with perhaps a room to spare?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good thinking - last year we went to Chamois D'Or with Ski Val - great chalet, location and value in Val D'Isere. I had 3 teenagers and they had a great time.
This year we cannot go half term as eldest is on a school trip to CERN in Geneva (close to snow I know - but school logistics very inflexible) so we are going to Chamonix on 9th April for the week. I have the same 3 teens aged 14 to 18...... but they are all pretty hot skiers !
There will be lots of others in same situation if you pick a bigger chalet hotel..

Good Luck
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FireballXL5, some places might have special ski lessons organised for "ados" - worth exploring. More fun for them with their own age group, but you could rest assured she'd have expert supervision. I'd agree that a big chalet hotel would be a good bet - our teenagers had a ball at the Snowcoach chalet hotel in Valmeinier - went all over Valloire on their snowblades with others from the hotel. Far more fun than they'd have had with us. But they were all very competent, been skiing from tots. If it's only your daughter's second trip she'd need to be in lessons - but lessons needn't be boring!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FireballXL5, Surely if you book with one of the bigger english TO's (e.g. crystal / nielsen / esprit) into a chalet in a classic brititsh kid friendly resort then there's a greater than 50% of there being lots of other kids there. If you phone a smaller operator and tell them your neeeds they might even be able to book you into a chalet direclty with other nippers..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FireballXL5, are you set on half-term?
As the Easter hols are so late this year, we're putting together a family oriented bash in Val Thorens w/c 16th Apr, the week before the EoSB.
Same sort of arrangement as the EoSB.

Should be posting details in snowEvents very soon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, that's interesting snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK that sounds interesting, thanks. I'm a bit worried about lack of snow at that time of year though? The year I took her the snow was appallingly bad, just a lot of scratching around in the mud a lot of the time and am hoping for more snow next time for her (well, aren't we all??)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bear in mind that Val Thorens, as the highest resort in Europe, doesn't just have one high mountain next to it but is surrounded by peaks above 3000m. There are 5 or 6 points on the Val T, lift/piste map where you get over 3000m. The town itself is at 2300m.

We've been there the following week for the EoSB, 5 years in a row now.
Of course, it's Spring conditions so it's usually slushy in the afternoon and re-frozen each morning but it's also great weather for picnics or sitting on terraces. One year, one flattish 'access' piste behind the hotel wore out before the end of the week but apart from that, every run has been open every year.

Obviously nothing can ever be guaranteed when snow and weather is concerned - even in Jan or March - but IMO it's a pretty safe bet.
The resort is even open for another week beyond the EoSB for Dutch week so the 16th Apr when the Family week starts is actually three weeks from the end of the season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin,
Quote:

The resort is even open for another week beyond the EoSB for Dutch week

Oh, I wondered about that and was imagining sHeads and the Dutch being there at the same time. Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh you're such a party animal Hurtle but no, sorry to disappoint Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
FireballXL5, are you set on half-term?
As the Easter hols are so late this year, we're putting together a family oriented bash in Val Thorens w/c 16th Apr, the week before the EoSB.
Same sort of arrangement as the EoSB.

Should be posting details in snowEvents very soon.

Very interesting Very Happy Been wondering about a family bash for a while, I will watch the space snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FireballXL5, Does this mean you won't be making the Birthday Bash. Crying or Very sad

I was aware of Admins plan for a family oriented bash next year and I agree it's a good option.

I've done a similar time the last two years with my son and had excellent snow and it avoids the high prices of February half term.

Well worth thinking about, although you will have to put up with a bunch of snowHead 's again. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Admin, thanks for all the info, very reassuring, I've never skiied in France - but have had three goes of bad snow in January elsewhere so I get your point.

Hi Geepee, on the contrary, I've been thinking about this all day and it seems the perfect solution - Birthday Bash on my own with you guys, then back for the family thing with teenager - which being April means that will be out of next years holiday entitlement - yippee!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FireballXL5, Then you'll be tempted to stay for the EOSB. snowHead
snow conditions
geepee, Which is what I think another snowHead is planning!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Iski, I'll be doing both too. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
geepee, The snowHead in question is not me, unfortunately. However, as I am unable to attend any bashes outside of school holidays I am hoping I might be accepted on the family oriented bash minus a family Toofy Grin As a back up, I am also working towards converting my newly acquired grandaughter to the joys of skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin :
ski holidays
Iski wrote:
geepee, However, as I am unable to attend any bashes outside of school holidays I am hoping I might be accepted on the family oriented bash minus a family

If anyone asks you're with me. wink
latest report
geepee, snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Iski wrote:
geepee, The snowHead in question is not me, unfortunately. However, as I am unable to attend any bashes outside of school holidays I am hoping I might be accepted on the family oriented bash minus a family Toofy Grin As a back up, I am also working towards converting my newly acquired grandaughter to the joys of skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin :
Like with any snowHeads bash nothing's ever compulsory.

For example, in the case of the EoSB we don't recommend that people bring children but neither do we exclude them. We just advise that it's going to be a mostly adult group and we wouldn't take for granted that it was OK to 'impose' children on an apartment without forewarning. So when we've had kids on the EoSB, we've designated an apartment as 'child friendly' and it's never been a problem.

With the Easter Family Bash that's reversed though and so you can generally assume that there will be kids in your apartment.

So yes, I wholeheartedly encourage you to bring your granddaughter - clearly you realise you have a duty to get her skiing ASAP - but even if she can't make it, we'll have U along anyway snowHead
ski holidays
admin, Aaaaww, thanks snowHead
snow conditions
...you'll just need to refer to geepee as 'Daddy' all week, that's all Wink
snow conditions
admin, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
admin, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy