Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using touring equipment for the first time

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Having decided it is time to get some touring mileage under my skis, I have taken the plunge and bought a pair of touring skis, bindings and skins. My choice of kit has been Dynastar Altitrail Powder skis, Fritschi Eagle bindings and Colltex CT40 mohair skins. The budget doesn't extend to boots at this stage so first outings will be using my relatively lightweight Dalbello downhill boots. I will be getting some other kit - crampons etc. - and adding it to my existing avalanche kit that I always carry.

My question for snowheads is to ask any of you touring skiers out there about your first experience of using touring skis, bindings and skins. Any tips? Any dos and don'ts? Any entertaining tales? My first trip will be a week in Tignes in December when I will be taking my touring kit plus my normal downhill skis. Then it will be a late January weekend in Scotland before a trip out to the Dolomites for a family holiday.

Any experiences welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check this site out www.eagleskiclub.org.uk its a touring specific ski club. There is lots of good information.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, Thanks - I have already joined and am familiar with the Eagle Ski Club site. Their forums are not as active as snowheads so I thought I'd see what snowhead members came up with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get on the Snowheads' Intro to Touring:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1588796
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have you ever used touring kit at all? do you know how to stick your skins to your skis for example?

one big thing to be careful of with Fritschis is making sure the forward pressure (or lack thereof) and toe height are adjusted correctly, particularly if you are switching between different pairs of boots. suggest you get a shop to set these for you first off and get the tech to talk you through how to adjust
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You have some very light skis and not so light bindings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
get fit, get boots as soon as you can, and dont lift yer skis when skinning up, slide em, slide em, slide em. Travel as light as you can (re-learn packing your pack!)

height adjustable ski poles also handy (shorter up, longer down, adjustable walking poles do the trick but may be a bit heavier) - not essential but worth getting around to picking up a set

a practice or two putting on and off your skins before you go out may help, some people find it a bit faffy (i know i do rolling eyes )
I'm sure someone will be on mentioning kick turns but starting out I aint sure you'll feel the need too soon

a couple of basic maintenace bits and bobs won't go astray neither, maybe a multitool/leatherman and some duct tape.

always think dry bases before putting skins on in the field

navigation and avvy assessment skills more than useful - you may be ok there already. Sounds like you're sorted for avvy kit, add a whistle if you dont already have one (on a key ring on your pack maybe)
If you're coming north check out glenmore lodge online, they might be doing some courses in january - they do a few different ski-mountainerring courses in the season, from basic navigation and travel on skis to full on stuff. A day out with an experienced ski-tourer/mountaineer or two also a great way for a crash course/learning a few tips etc., either by employing the service or just thumbing a ride with someone up for a bit of company/happy to show you some decent routes. Stick a request on winterhighland forum closer to your trip north and you'll more than likely get a few takers for a day out. I'm sure the same can be said for places in the alps too through the various forums

oh and get ready for all the fandan, the chickies love a crusty tourer (be even better if you take up telemarking) Cool

Enjoy, it'll really add to your enjoyment of the hill if you're up for it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I carry an old toothbrush with the handle whittled down to a point (this was a tip from Spyderjon, I think). V useful for clearing ice / compacted snow from binding pieces.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Proper basic and may well just be my spastic technique but after learning the hard way, keep your weight central going up the proper steep stuff i.e. body at right angle to slope as much as possible. Get forward too much and you'll be going downhill a lot more quickly than you went up!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i forgot the most important kit tip - a hipflask of your most favourite hooch is a must, oh yes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oz5000 wrote:
Proper basic and may well just be my spastic technique but after learning the hard way, keep your weight central going up the proper steep stuff i.e. body at right angle to slope as much as possible.

i think you mean vertical rather than at a right angle to the slope Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think very carefully about clothing. You can/will get hot very quickly going uphill, particularly in the sun.

Multiple layers are the way to go and ideally saloppettes with zips down the side of the legs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
....one big thing to be careful of with Fritschis is making sure the forward pressure (or lack thereof) and toe height are adjusted correctly, particularly if you are switching between different pairs of boots. suggest you get a shop to set these for you first off and get the tech to talk you through how to adjust

StanBowles, you can't be far from me so if I'd be pleased to run through this with you if you're uncertain.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo wrote:
I carry an old toothbrush with the handle whittled down to a point (this was a tip from Spyderjon, I think). V useful for clearing ice / compacted snow from binding pieces.

Cool

This is a 'must have' item if you're on Dukes/Barons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
barry wrote:
get ready for all the fandan, the chickies love a crusty tourer

I have it on good authority that 'chicks' don't like anything crusty. End of.
snow report
You will almost definitely need the crampons for scotland, I did a two day course in aviemore last year which covered lots of mountain safety as well as some great touring- The guys at www.mountainspirit.co.uk put us together with a guide who was running the course. it was excellent.
I found my fitness was a bit of struggle in a group setting, even thoug i would consider myself reasonably fit - i can certainly alpine ski hard all day and i do a bit of hill climbing and running- So i would say that is the area to make sure you are prepared, you will enjoy the days out more, the fitter you are. Of course for all i know you could be an olympic athlete!
snow report
In addition to what others have said ....

Take something just incase you get blisters (e.g. compeed, second skin etc).

Never forget to dry your skins out at the end of the day or they probably won't stick to your skis the following day. During my first week touring I did this, the guide used some glue to try and get the wet skins to stick. On the way up the skins kept coming off and on the way down the residual glue on the skis made me go over the handlebars all the time. Someone even shouted up the hill to me "take the skins off".

Anti-stink underwear (merino wool, stuff with silver fibre in it etc) will probaly help you more than being crusty.

You will need to drink a lot, make sure you have a container(s) for water. Camelbaks are great for water while on the move but they tend to freeze up. Yes you can blow back the water but if you forget then = nothing to drink.

For fitness - walk up the stairs with a fully loaded rucksack, try balance exercises with the rucksack too esp. fore / aft, skip with the rucksack on. The extra weight of a touringpack can really drag you into the back seat.
latest report
spyderjon, DB, DaveMcSki, richjp, oz5000, zammo, barry, jbob, altis, DB, Zero-G, many thanks - all good stuff. Many thanks -some useful suggestions there. I like the toothbrush tip. Fitness-wise I am not too worried as road cycling is keeping me in good shape - especially now I have decided I actually like long climbs on the bike (did Mont Ventoux in the summer but the nearby Peak District is also good for vertical ascent). spyderjon, I'll message you off-forum on your very kind suggestion.
ski holidays
Wrap the top foot of your ski poles in a couple of layers of gaffa / duct tape. Its an easy way to carry something incredibly useful and prevents that hand freeze on bare metal when you grip your uphill pole below the handle (which is a good tip for keeping you upright when crossing a slope)
snow report
When using huts take a thermos. Water is expensive but tea is normally given out for free.
ski holidays
zammo wrote:
I carry an old toothbrush with the handle whittled down to a point.

Also very useful if you end up doing hard time. Can be modified by melting a razor blade in the end......
latest report
StanBowles wrote:
Fitness-wise I am not too worried as road cycling is keeping me in good shape - especially now I have decided I actually like long climbs on the bike (did Mont Ventoux in the summer but the nearby Peak District is also good for vertical ascent).

You might be fit but ski touring uses the same muscles in different ways. For me even after a busy mountain biking season the ski touring uses the muscles in a way other exercises don't. Just because you are cycling fit doesn't mean ski touring will be no problem (e.g. The times Lance Armstrong's achieved while running marathons aren't that spectacular). Hill running esp with backpack or using a cross trainer are other good exercises. Fitness is relative and if the others in the group are hill runners or similar you could be in for a few hard tours. If you are fitter you can take it easy on the way up and still have the legs to ski down.
snow conditions
StanBowles, I too have discovered that cycling gets you fit for, well, cycling.
snow report
I've even found that biking tends to work the quads more and so if I don't build the hamstrings up around this time of year my fore/aft balance isn't too good = backseat riding (esp with touring rucksack).
latest report
Mosha Marc, DB, always the problem with raising questions on forums is that, short of writing an essay on everything you do know, you run the risk of sounding like you hadn't thought of things. There are different muscle groups etc and I am aware of that. Your points are well made. Of course, the reality is that family life, work life, personal choices etc does not allow time for every type of fitness regime. All I meant to say was that I'm reasonably happy that a good road cycling regime provides me with a decent base level of fitness but, of course, when you do something different then you'll work different parts of your body. I like the idea of running with a pack. There is a good hill behind my house and I might vary the cycle dog walking with a bit of pack running.
snow report
StanBowles,
Yes with family / work etc time is short but I find a few mins doing hamstring exercises every few days really helps to stabilize the core esp. for when you have a ski touring pack on. With tired buring legs (from the skin up) and a weak core my skiing goes to pot.

a quick google found this ....
http://www.fitness-training-at-home.com/hamstring-exercises.html
ski holidays
Don't underestimate weight of your pack on your balance; long journeys backcountry need kit to accommodate changes in weather/conditions etc. and if travelling across glaciers you will need ropes/hardware - if summiting add ice axe & crampons. Work on core strength as well as endurance to keep every centered.

Jelly legs are to be expected after the climb so take it easy on the first couple of turns downhill.
snow report
Quote:

zammo wrote:
I carry an old toothbrush with the handle whittled down to a point.

Also very useful if you end up doing hard time. Can be modified by melting a razor blade in the end......

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy