Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thumbs up for new car hire company operating from Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Came across this company purely by accident in July. We booked using the ever helpful snowHead Holiday Autos discount link and were a little concerned to see that the car hire company allocated was an outfit called Rent Occasion who we had never heard of before.
So, on exiting arrivals and heading to the car hire desks our hearts sank when we realised there was no desk there for Rent Occasion - however, when we actually troubled to read the booking notification it clearly stated that a representative would meet us in the arrivals hall with a sign bearing our name - off we went back to arrivals and sure enough there was the very patient rep holding a very clear sign with our name on it!

After quickly completing the paperwork and taking our deposit with a hand held credit card machine he led us out of the airport door directly into the short stay car park right in front of the airport where we inspected our pristine car, he handed us the keys and off we went. On return, we simply drove into the short stay departure carpark at an agreed time, once again directly in front of the airport, where the rep was waiting to flag us into a space. He had a quick chat with us, completed the check of the car and the payment details and off we went straight into the airport departure hall.

We could hardly believe what a straightforward and simple process it was, we must have been out of the airport and in the car within about 10 minutes - so much less faffing involved than the usual nightmare queues at the car hire desks followed by the will we/wont we walk to carpark 51, will we/wont we be charged for the 'free' courtesy bus - so we decided to use them again last week to test whether it was a one off lucky experience.
This time, to ensure we got Rent Occasion, we booked directly with them (their web site wasn't that great when actually trying to book, always saying there are no cars available, so we contacted them by email in the end). All we had to do was provide them with our flight number and time of arrival and type of car we wanted. They gave us the price and that was it - all sorted.
Exactly the same process and good service. I know which company we will be booking with next time we need to hire a car from Geneva Airport! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, good recommendation now all the main companies have been taken "off site"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was probably a swiss persons car who had just dropped it off for them to look after on a long stay basis whilst he was on holiday!

Actually thats a brilliant business idea!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fifespud, wink get in there!! Have to say though, that the registration papers in the glove box were for Rent Occasion with their business address on it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
loatie, how was the price when you booked with them direct compared to booking with them via HA?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
loatie, good recommendation now all the main companies have been taken "off site"

Eh? What's that then?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Eh? What's that then?

I think be probably means shifting car collection to P51 rather than in the underground garage in the terminal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I think my husband said it compared favourably with the standard HA price but not as good as the discounted price. We took the view that the convenience factor made it worth it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loatie, thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I didn't know they'd done that. What/where is P51?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, P51 is one of the nearby car parks, and all (?) the car hire companies have their cars on the ground floor there. It's a short walk or an even shorter shuttle bus ride. Not a big deal, but not as convenient as it used to be.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, cheers for that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=46.227412,6.103377&t=k&z=20
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Their web site is down ............... not a promising start !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PBJ, Yes, like I said, their website isn't the best and we found it easier to email them.
ski holidays
Yes I used them as well in the summer and they waited for me even though my flight was 2 hrs delayed - I had rung them from Liverpool to tell them-I went looking for a desk even though I had read someone would be waiting for me -excellent service
latest report
altis, that's a bit of a walk with all yer kit.
snow report
Mosha Marc, it's a bit of a pfaff with kit, but there's a shuttle bus which runs very frequently. It's only a two minute ride, but does save having to drag luggage and ski bag to get to your car.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Mosha Marc, it's a bit of a pfaff with kit, but there's a shuttle bus which runs very frequently. It's only a two minute ride, but does save having to drag luggage and ski bag to get to your car.

Does seem a little bit shortsighted to put it next to the Charter flights terminal - bearing in mind that nearly every punter arriving there promptly gets on a TO bus. Whatever happened to the swiss 'efficiency'.
ski holidays
sarep, which one is the charter flights terminal?
snow conditions
Quote:

which one is the charter flights terminal?

The one opposite P51 - about 5 mins walk from the main (scheduled) terminal.
latest report
loatie, Your experience was exactly the same as mine at the beginning of August - moment's panic when I realised they did not have a desk in the usual place. Very quck, inexpensive and excellent service. Car was basic - no central locking or electric windows, some sort of downmarket Renault, I think - but otherwise perfectly good.

I also tried their website and got the 'no cars' message, I will try emailing them next time I need a car.
snow report
Quote:

that's a bit of a walk with all yer kit.

Reader's time saving tip if travelling in a group:

1. On arrival at Geneva, car hirer proceeds straight to car hire desk on foot, carrying hand luggage only.
2. Remaining party members wait to collect luggage.
3. Car hirer walks to Parking P51 and collects hire car.
4. Car hirer drives car back to airport and collects rest of group - who should proceed as follows: Exit terminal via car hire desks and turn right. Walk 15 metres and wait for hire car driver on the little service road behind the airport. Signs say no waiting/parking but it only takes a minute to pull in and collect the group.

Directions for Driver (2 minute drive to pick up point):
1. Turn right out of P51 and then immediately fork 1st right, ie behind P51 garage.
2. Get in left lane and go straight on at T junction, where road bears right.
3. After 100 or 200 metres the road then bears sharp right - turn left to pick up point/dead end road.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, that is very useful info - I have wondered how to get back to the airport from P51, we sometimes park there if leaving a car for a few days. Smile Smile
ski holidays
I've used Rent Occasion on this trip and, frankly, I'm not keen.

The short term parking isn't well lit and it was very hard to inspect the car at night. There's someone hanging over you wanting to get on - so you can't help but feeling pressured to rush. The inspection report isn't a rolling one - you have to complete it from (if you'll excuse the pun) scratch every time. The chances of missing something are

You don't get any paperwork - so I don't have a copy of the inspection report and no details of how much fuel is going to cost.

There is exactly one car there for you. Like it or lump it. With the other hire companies I've always had the sense of being able to negotiate an upgrade if the car offered is smaller than I need.

The car's in good condition, but it doesn't have either florescent jackets or a warning triangle.

It's much harder to fill up the car just before return as P51 has a little petrol station about 50m before the entrance.

I think that what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts with this.

I won't be using again. There's something about the setup I just don't like.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, good tips. It's worth pointing out though that the 1st 10 minutes (maybe 15 once you've swiped your card through the parking pay machine as it gives you time to load up your bags) in the open air short term arrivals parking is free, so this can save your group the walk to the bay you're referring to. There was a parking officer there a few weeks ago when my Wife dropped me off at the airport, although that is the only time I have seen one admittedly.
snow report
mountainaddict, Whitters, Good tips.....

Return journey tip.

1. pull into short stay carpark
2. unload all luggage and people
3. (optional) if you are running late all proceed to checkin (may incur a small parking charge but beter than missed checkin), Group can join queue if long wait
4. Car hirer proceed to P51 to return car
5. Walk(or run if late) or bus back to terminal
snow report
FlyingStantoni,

As you say each to their own.

On the point of the petrol re-fill we have been stitched up a few times at the petrol station by P51 with non-acceptance of credit cards, long queues of people trying to work out the procedure and pumps out of order.

There is a very good alternative if you come off at J5. Much easier once you have done it once but basically it's through a small industrial estate and then you just follow the road round, rejoin the motorway and come off again at J6 as normal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy